Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB Evo IV MS vs. HPI Pro 4 Hara

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
RSR
Tech Initiate

Default Tamiya TB Evo IV MS vs. HPI Pro 4 Hara

Which is better chassis of these two? I'm looking into buying one and need some feed back on the chassis.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have a light modded Pro4 and a friend of mine just bought an EVO IV. Most guys over here use a Pro4 because it drives real nice stock especially for the $265.00 price tag. My friend just got a deal for his EVO IV because our LHS is selling them cheap. Nice kit! However, it's a lot heavier than my Pro4, so you may want to take that into consideration. Either way, I think you should be happy with your choice.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech Adept

You will find much better parts support for the HPI in the Bay Area. RC Tech, All Speed, Sheldons and the various Hobby Towns all stock parts for the HPI.

Ira
Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 PM
RSR
Tech Initiate

Is the Pro 4 Hara worth getting over a Pro 4 that will be hopped-up?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RSR
Is the Pro 4 Hara worth getting over a Pro 4 that will be hopped-up?
Yes. But it would be nicer to get the 2005 edition. It has more important hop-ups than the Hara edition. My Pro4 is v.1.1, hopped-up with a few modifications and I'm very happy with it. Here are pics of my Pro4.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I've had both...the EVOs (III and IV) are tougher, easier to work on, the parts are cheaper and they hold their value better. They both handle great, but I've been VERY happy with the EVOs...
Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Evo is a little heavier than the pro4. You'll find the Pro4 to have abundant steering and a solid rear-end. Very easy to get it hooked up.

I'm not a fan of tamiya part prices... (In Australia they are horrendous) and you generally find more race support for the Pro4 over the evo.

The evo isn't a bad car mind you... But i do prefer my pro4 over my friends Evo. Lots of steering! a good thing.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It'll come to this, hit the LHS's and see what parts are available readily. I'm moving to Idaho in the spring or early summer and am also going to get back into RC racing. I originally looked at a Tamiya TT-01, TA-05, TB-02 and after talking to some racers in Boise they said "no parts, go Associated or Losi." I found a killer deal on these forums and now have a Factory TC3 on it's way to me for obscenely cheap and just shy of ready to run, I already have the missing parts.

My advice, hit the search function and look for your cars in the For Sale forum. When you've got a few don't hesistate to search for the user names and see what that brings up. You might find a sleeper or two like an XXX-S with a carbon chasis nearly RTR too. Last I checked there were a couple XXX-S's for sale. Good cars too from what a number of drivers say.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

I say go for the Evo...Unbreakable, here are some pics of mine...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo IV MS vs. HPI Pro 4 Hara-evo-brushless-2.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo IV MS vs. HPI Pro 4 Hara-evo-brushless-1.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo IV MS vs. HPI Pro 4 Hara-evo-back.jpg  
Old 02-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

They are both good cars...Shaft cars are nice to have!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

I think this is more of a case of which manufacturer you support? I'm a tamiya fan,so I'll go for the MS.

Both are good cars.I'll sy go look at your LHS and who hey support,so you can get your parts easily.Its better to go OTC rather than getting thru the internet.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

i own a evo4ms and although im only starting on getting a half decent setup it is a awsome chassis. I was in the same place as you 3 weeks ago i was very close to buying a pro4 but the lhs didnt suply hpi so the evo4 was best for me and am very happy with it so far
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was an avid HPI fan and owned a Pro 2 for years, beat a pro 4 consistently with it, awesome car. I was going to buy a pro 4 but didnt like shaft drives at the time so I looked for something else, and ended up with an Evo 3, hello mr hypocrite!!!. What an awesome car, absolutely beautiful car to drive. From then on I was hooked on Tamiya, now I have an Evo 4 and a TRF415msx. I do admit that the evo 4 is heavy, but you have so much adjustability, its endless.

As the others said, parts availability plays a big part, the tamiya importer in new zealand does not import the evo or the 415 because of the cost of the kits to retail, they are expensive, no parts in new zealand for my evo, the guy at the hobby shop sniggered when I asked if they had a part for my evo, "thats what happens when you import a car"

Anyway bro, both are damn good brands and both are equally as good cars, but I would say if the parts are there go tamiya
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Default decisions

i have run both cars the evo 4 ms and the hara edition pro 4. i have to say handling evo 4 ms wins no problem. but it does lack speed i think due to the small stupid bearings they put in. on the other hand the pro 4 is a quick car and transmission is more easier to work with. where as the handling can be tricky to get right esspecially outdoors. both have there qwerks so u decide. me i think the evo4 but change the hubs. use the pro4 ones and bearings of course they are the business
Old 02-14-2006, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah I totally agree with you Andy. Fred got your car old Evo4 looking pretty good last week eh?
The Tamiya seems to push and the Pro4 tends to be a little loose don't you think?

Last edited by pookat; 02-14-2006 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I was confused :)(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.