Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree396Likes

Gizmo Racing GZ2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been hearing from Awesomatix racers lately that there's a batch of P03 that's been unusually brittle and breaking when snapping on to AT21. It's possible that's what's happening here as well.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I'm trying to give whoever is responsible for these the benefit of the doubt, but it gets harder with each step.
By no means am I saying Gizmo is perfect. Like RoyB said, we're all humans... That being said, if there is any issue with the kit, we do stand behind out product and want to make sure that it gets taken care of for you, and to try and avoid that happening again. If this is the first non traditional kit you've built I'm sure its been challenging. Believe it or not, the first Gizmo was harder to build... But as you can see, we are here as a "family"(in a sense) to try and help everyone out. So if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Syndrome.....What servo mount and steering rack is that?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kurly
Syndrome.....What servo mount and steering rack is that?
The mount is whatever came with my GZ2. I don’t think there’s anything special with it. The steering rack is LS1 from Awesomatix. It works a lot like LS2, but with bushings instead of bearings. I find it to be a little less fiddly. I hear it’s more durable than LS2, but I haven’t had trouble with either. LS1 is something I added on my own.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The mount is whatever came with my GZ2. I don’t think there’s anything special with it. The steering rack is LS1 from Awesomatix. It works a lot like LS2, but with bushings instead of bearings. I find it to be a little less fiddly. I hear it’s more durable than LS2, but I haven’t had trouble with either. LS1 is something I added on my own.
Gottit....I hear some guys are trying the Bellcrank steering with this car.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I'm trying to give whoever is responsible for these the benefit of the doubt, but it gets harder with each step.
Man, sorry, I just saw this. Been a horrible week at my full time job. I had not had time to get on here.

Please drop me a line with any items that may be missing or that you had trouble with on the kit. I will more than gladly send you a few pieces free of charge.

Last thing we want is issues with the kit and you feeling like you are on an island. I want to make sure that you are taken care of.

I will say this, building a Gizmo, much like an awesomatix is not the "Easiest" of builds. They are even frustrating at times, but once assembled, they drive so nice and fast. You will get better at s lot of the nuisances of the car and we are here to help you get though it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you guys have a method or order for adjusting the upper lengths?

When setting up camber, caster, and toe, every change affects the other settings. I'm not sure I'm doing it right as it takes multiple attempts to get the readings in the ball park.

Currently I use gauges to get camber and toe, then eyeball the caster. I also measure all the lengths to make sure its relatively balanced.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xevias
Do you guys have a method or order for adjusting the upper lengths?

When setting up camber, caster, and toe, every change affects the other settings. I'm not sure I'm doing it right as it takes multiple attempts to get the readings in the ball park.

Currently I use gauges to get camber and toe, then eyeball the caster. I also measure all the lengths to make sure its relatively balanced.
Usually using something like the Awesomatix USA caster doodles with a hudy set up station is my choice to do it. However, if you set your camber on a set up station, you can then set thbe caster by removing all 4 wheels, putting the chassis on a flat surface, removing the outer hub screw and installing a long screw or turnbuckle in the screw hole. Measure the angle with a camber gauge or you can put the car back on the set up station and look at the caster angle on the hudy station (or any other station that is marked for caster.).
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

I check camber and castor at the same time on my arrow max station with a 2inch screw. The middle of the screw is the castor number.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

I set my camber first, caster second. Then I go back and check my camber again and if I adjust it at all, I check castor again until both are set perfectly. After they are set, I then set toe and re-check camber and castor again to make sure nothing moved. It is a little more work than normal cars but definitely worth it.

I use a setup station and the castor doodles. I would not want to try setting up the GZ or AX cars without a station but as Cap has showed us, it is possible.

I use to think I didn’t need a set up station and they were only used by the obsessive elite but I completely changed my tune a couple years ago once I put what I thought was a perfect setup on a station my friend had....boy was I wrong!!! My eyes and camber gage turned castor gage were off big time corner to corner to corner.
Being off by 1* castor one direction and then off 1* in the opposite direction on the other side of the car makes a HUGE difference in the car on the track.

Ever since then, I put my cars on the setup station after every race and reset the car to perfect (if needed).
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone have a problem with pin that holds outdrive on to spool working out? Only one side is doing it, thinking about putting some loctite on it.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Roy, I usually glue those in. Just a drop of CA on each side usually does the job.
RoyB likes this.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

I've been testing/running the around motor top deck for a few months. I ran it at snowbirds, as well as my local track and a few other places, that have more grip than birds. I've been running the 1.5 deck for a while, as I tested the 2mm at snowbirds and it was far too stiff(for there). I recently tried it again, and I found that it was a little better(more consistent and faster) than the 1.5 deck. The car felt like it was "springy" when it rotated in the corner. I raised the top deck .5mm and it seemed to really be a nice improvement over the 1.5 deck. This would be on a medium bite smaller track. I will be doing some more testing next weekend at Windy City.

Additionally I've been testing the rear anchor weight system. I really like this part on 99% of the tracks that I have raced on. It does a few things for the car.

I've gives it some more initial steering, due to the increased weight transfer.
It also gives the car more rotation, or stability (depending on how far out the weights are).

I did find on tracks that had high speed sections into 180's that you could potentially traction roll,or have the car become unpredictable in the corners.

The last thing that I've been messing with is the carbon fiber center spline. Since we have gone to horizontal top deck, we found that the regular brass spline can sometimes be too stiff. I found myself running just 1 screw in it, or taking it out. The carbon spline is a really nice tuning option.

It gives the car a nice consistency, as well as some additional stability in some of the high speed speed sections. I've been running it up 3mm, but recently I have been really liking a 1.5mm shim and a small shock o-ring under it. It adds some rotation, while not being "springy" (springy is what I've been describing as the car loads up going into a corner and then when it dissipates the energy it sometimes produces an inconsistent rotation for the car)
RoyB likes this.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Default Brass weight

On the original GZ1 we would run the brass weight in the car but only put the 1 flat head screw in the back hole and a set screw thru the front hole to keep it centered but not secured. Keep the set screw just above flush with the chassis. That works also.
RoyB likes this.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What wrench is everyone using for pivot balls? Can't find anything thin enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.