Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AMZ
  • 2 Post By AMZ

HPI 1970 dodge challenger body question

Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI 1970 dodge challenger body question

Hey everybody,

I have a team associated TC4 and I recently got an HPI 1970 dodge challenger body for it. Because I am quadriplegic my friend is painting and fitting the body. The back is fine but on the front the body sits on the ground before resting on the body posts. I asked my friend if the ride height just needed to be raised and he said no, it looks like he'll have to modify the front body posts. Has anyone else gone through this? If so, how did you fix the problem? I'm not too concerned with it, my friend has been in the hobby for many years and I'm sure he'll figure it out... I was just wondering and thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any information! Have a great day!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:03 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would say taller body posts. Duratrax ones are tough, come in 1/2 inch increments and are available from TowerHobbies.
aznewmanfan likes this.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:08 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It is one of my favorite bodies.
Attached Thumbnails HPI 1970 dodge challenger body question-img_1838.jpg   HPI 1970 dodge challenger body question-fullsizerender-3-copy-2.jpg  
aznewmanfan and massenb203 like this.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, AMZ! Both of those bodies look great! I can't wait for my friend to get mine finished!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd say its either body posts or the lower portion of the body that needs further trimming. Either way, I am sure your friend has it figured it out if he's done this a few times like you mentioned.

I am currently painting up '71 camaro body for a VTA car I am building. I love the challenger, but had to go w/ the '71 camaro as my dad had a '70 1/2 camaro ...he bought it the same month I was born (almost made my mom divorce him as they couldn't afford it). LOL. But we had that car for years, many good memories.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The HPI Challenger and Cuda are a bit taller in the front that a lot of bodies. The Team Associated TC4 comes with fairly short body posts in the front. Even if you use the second highest hole on the front body posts, the front of the body will drag (but is is pretty close).

Here are some suggestions...
- Use taller body posts on the front. You can use any brand posts on the front of the TC4 as long as they have a screw hole in the bottom.

- Use spacers/shims/washers to raise up the stock body posts. Depending on how many your add, you may want to use a longer screw to secure the post.

- Use larger diameter tires. The HPI Challenger/Cuda was designed to be used with the HPI Vintage wheels and tires, where are a bigger diameter than most regular touring car tires. It can be difficult to find these tires, but Protoform now makes Vintage wheels/tires for the USVTA class. You can even buy pre-mounts.