R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2002, 02:42 PM   #1306
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi again. I knew I would get that question as soon as I posted here again...and you will not get the answer you want! The truth is that I have only done something like 10 packs with my own pro3 and 5 or 6 before that with a borrowed car, busy at work you see! I had been running the Yokomo for almost 2 years and was very comfortable with that car and I would still have been driving that car if I was still in finland...but you don't say no when you get a chance to get a dream-job...just because you want to keep running a Yokomo! And only a fool would judge a car after 15 packs...it will take time to get to know the car. I can however say that the first time I run my car I was surprised at how good it was...like everybody I had heard a lot of bad things about the car so I was not expecting anything special...but it was actually quite good. So although some of the negative critisism was probably right...it's all gone a bit over the top. Ask me what I think about the car in a couple of months time and I will be able to give you a better answer... Anyway, this is a yokomo thread so continue discussing that car here now...

johnbull: Hope u feel better now. Looking forward to the Malaysian GP and the MotoGP opener in a few weeks time. SBK this weekend...
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 01:49 PM   #1307
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

Just want to post a quick note here that we got some of the new hop-ups for the MR-4TC in stock (hollow middle shaft, HD front one-way, 3 and 7 degree castor blocks, transponder mount...etc.) and also one lucky customer will receive a $50 gift certificate from us this month good for any products in our store. Winner will be announced at the end of the month, for details, check out the monthly special page on our website.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:38 AM   #1308

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Has anyone tried the hollow center shaft yet?

Finally got my car to work last weekend, on carpet. Worked really well, used the camber link modifications and soft springs and oil...Top deck that I made seems to be working well too.

kentech, what exactly are you doing at HPI?

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:12 PM   #1309
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to pilot

hello,

I have a weird thing happening to me when i accelerate really hard out of turns and on the straightaway. My cars front wheels slightly move up and down when accelerating, making my car a little unstable by doing this. Can anyone explain this? It happens whenever i run with profile tires, and today with yokomo slicks with hard inserts. i drive a special.

best wishes from slovenia

matej
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:42 PM   #1310
Tech Fanatic

pilot: Check the front driveshafts for wear and make sure you use black grease on the driveshafts in the diff outdrives. That's what I found when I was running the yoke...

Speedo: TOP SECRET
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 01:46 PM   #1311

Can you say "HPI Pro 3 kentech edition"??? LOL
Old 03-10-2002, 02:05 PM   #1312
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to pilot

thank you, i'll try that. I have noticed a little wear on the driveshafts in the front, but i havent been using the grease. I hope that this helps, because my car isn't smooth as it used to be.

matej
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #1313
Tech Addict

Wink

I was out of town racing at the weekend, Finished second in stock AGAIN, Same guy beat me in the qualifiers and finals.
It's not all bad as he is the '02 National stock champ('01 Modified), I got a lot closer to him this time in a couple of races.
Surprisingly, the BJ MVP I got for our Nats a couple of months ago was an absolute Rocket. I had expected to run into trouble getting a gear ratio to work but ended up running 5.69 to 1, comm was shiny after 6 runs and no brush wear/discolouration.
I changed spur gears after the second qual, while the car was apart I had several people come up and ask what had broken, I told them what I was doing and they had a bit of a laugh, too much like hard work(which it is) to change something as simple as a spur.
The track was originally designed for 8th scale gas so it was pretty large.
I only buttoned off for one hairpin and that was it, flat out everywhere else.

It was nice to run both one ways too, I thought this would be the one place where they'll work and was right(for a change)

Also was my 30th birthday on the qualifying day so I got a bit of good natured ribbing.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 07:29 PM   #1314

I was thinking it must be a large track to require a gear ratio that low. Have you got your HV's yet?

Cyled mine today, and surprisingly they were still very good. 2700mah (320sec) and 1.14AV at 30A...Compared to my SMH with about the same runtime and 1.126AV, actually better than the label. The label on the HV's says 1.148, so that was close enough for me.

Use the SMH for mod though, I think the discharge curve is flatter.

Also finished up my Frewer Stratus (dist. by Schumacher) I was surprised when I read it was made in NZ on the label! If only it had overspray film...Didn't think it would turn out to well after I messed it up, but it came out fairly well after I cleaned it up. Used some of the chrome paint on it, and it looks very much like chrome.

Speedo
Old 03-10-2002, 09:51 PM   #1315
Tech Addict

Wink

Know Kevin Frewer quite well, I was sponsored by him for about 10 days then got tired of all the mucking about.

Here's a pic of the track, actually there's a heap of pics from the meeting here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track from drivers stand.jpg (55.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-10-2002, 09:57 PM   #1316
Tech Addict

Here's my car with "Eagle" tyre warmers on, definately make a difference for the first few laps on 138G tyres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simons yokomo 2.jpg (63.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-10-2002, 09:59 PM   #1317
Tech Addict

Wink

Here's my poor painting skills to the fore...look at all the pretty stickers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simons yokomo 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-10-2002, 10:06 PM   #1318

Mucking about?

Wow, that is a large track!

You still running on foams over there?

Speedo
Old 03-10-2002, 10:16 PM   #1319
Tech Adept

kentech> i hope joining the hpi team will keep you away from this thread. i'll be getting a used special in the next few days and i'm sure i have a lot of questions here
maski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:17 PM   #1320
Tech Addict

Wink

I took two brand new complete sets of Ellegi foams with me, they worked OK in practice but I ended up running 138Gs as they didn't scrub as much speed when cornering.

Check out the page with all the pics on it....