R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-23-2002, 03:24 AM   #1066
Tech Adept

part # YS-7-1 is the shock rebuilding kit which includes all shock plastic parts and the o-rings.
moonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:46 AM   #1067
Tech Adept

Post XXX-S vs. MR4TCS

Got to run both of them in the qualifiers last week at my local track. My XXX-s has all the goodies(graphite) installed, and of course the Yok comes that way.
I have only had the Losi for a couple of weeks but it does have a nice feel to it. In most of the sections it was very fast and always predictable. Our track is fairly technical because we only run stock but is large enough to show some speed as well.
The XXX-S was working good in the first two qualifiers but decided to give the Yok a spin. WOW! Dialed from the start. I took the last qualifier and the main by almost a lap over a Pro 3 and another XXX-S.
The Losi still has some time to go, and in its defense I have seen them very hooked up, but for now my Yok is working better all around.
highx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #1068
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think the Yokomo is an excellent stock car. I have been running a XXX-S in stock for the past 6 months and after this week's big race (US Indoor Champs) I am going to use my XXX-S exclusively for mod and go back to my Special for stock.

For some reason the XXX-S just does not have the throttle punch that you need for stock. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it happens, but as you drive the XXX-S around the track, it just doesn't feel as "snappy" as the Yokomo.

I think that the dual one-way setup may be part of it. Even with a one-way diff on the XXX-S, you have both diffs dragging on the belt, causing the rear end of the car to slow down MORE than in a two-belt-drive system. On the Yokomo, only the layshaft and rear diff are slowing down, since the entire front belt assembly goes into a stopped position.

That is my guesstimation of why my XXX-S can't hold up in a stock situation to my Yokomo. In mod, you are applying the brakes and just generally going faster, and I think the difference is not as much. But in stock where you are coasting through some corners and getting on/off the throttle with no breaking, it makes a bigger difference.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #1069

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal

For some reason the XXX-S just does not have the throttle punch that you need for stock. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it happens, but as you drive the XXX-S around the track, it just doesn't feel as "snappy" as the Yokomo.
Thatís because the lightest XXX-s Iíve seen on a scale is still some four ounces heavier than an average Yoke. In mod, the motor can carry that and you wonít ever really notice. In stock, I think that you have to have very good equipment to be carrying an extra ľ pound around all day and still be fast.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 02:19 PM   #1070
R/C Tech Founder

That's a good point; I've never actually weighed my XXX-S since we don't tech at our track, I just assumed it was overweight (since that's what everybody said).

I am putting a graphite XXX-S together as I type this; I will weigh it tonight against my Yoke Worlds and my Yoke Special just for kicks.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:20 PM   #1071

I'm running mod and stock with the yokomo, and I'm surprised you use brakes even for mod. I just set the car with more drag brake for mod. My track is pretty tight too.

It could be a combination of things causing the yok to feel better in stock, obviously the one-ways and weight factors that have already been pointed out. Keep in mind the yokomo won the stock class at the nats, while the losi was winning everything else.

I am a little surprised though, because the XXX-S drivetrain definately feels more free. I guess once you get the one-ways in there, you only really have the rear belt on the special, and that is extremely free.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 04:52 PM   #1072
R/C Tech Founder

The thing about the XXX-S is that it *seems* as though it should be more free than other cars, but it's not. I can't get my XXX-S to roll as freely as either of my Yokomos, and others at our track have noticed the same thing.

I think that it may have to do with rotating mass acting on the spur gear/layshaft. Under power it isn't as big a factor, but when we're talking free rolling, having the whole drivetrain on one belt with larger diff pulleys has got to produce more friction than having small, shorter belts on smaller pulleys.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:02 PM   #1073

Yeah, that's true. It's still pretty quite though isn't it?

have put a front one-way in the yoke to test out on saturday. I have some of the 3 and 7 blocks, and pink springs. Have tried botht the pink springs and 7 blocks. I like the springs because often I need to go softer than green, but don't want to go as soft as yellow, so they are a nice option.

The 7's definately give the car more on-power steering, though I'm thinking with a front one-way I might try the 3's. Have the standard 5 degree blocks on now though, and green in the front, orange in the back. Might even try pink in the front.

Speedo
Old 01-23-2002, 07:05 PM   #1074
Regional Moderator

Special's standard castor block = 5 degrees?? I think they're 3 degrees
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 11:06 PM   #1075
Tech Adept

I never really thought of my Yok Special as "snappy" out of the corners, but it is quick. I race against some fast TC3's and those are what I would call snappy! If you use that acceleration in the right sections of the track the TC3 is tough to beat. I just attack all the sections of the track with consistancy to win. My Yok is fast but can't go corner to corner with an ASC.
As far as the wieght on the XXXS vs. the MR4TCS I thought it would make quite a bit of difference myself that is why I installed the graphite conversion. Well, last Friday at a local stock club race I was preping to take some laps and trying to watch for the fast line and noticed a particularly fast car. It was quiet and ballistic fast at all points on the track. When the car was pulled off I followed the driver to his table. I asked about the car and he quickly removed the body so I could inspect. A box stock XXXS was what I saw! He laped everyone in the main. Explain that to my graphite kit?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:11 AM   #1076
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Highx, the explanation as to why your friend with the standard XXXS was so quick is probably all to do with thumbs.

I can assure you I know the feeling. I prepare my son's car as I do mine, and quite a few other peoples. If anything I reckon I spend more time on my car than I do on his. Everyone that has driven mine thinks it handles superbly, yet my son will lap me in a 5 minute race......and I still place reasonably well in the A. It's all a question of thumbs.

When he has driven my car he has won too, so it really is not a car problem.

Regarding XXXS weight, you're quite right. We run to a weight limit here - 1500 grams. A standard factory XXXS I built recently weighed in at between 1560 and 1570 with cells, Novak Cyclone, etc. I have to add weight to my MR4 Special, and son Josh too adds 10 to 15 grams on his TC3. But then both the TC3 and the MR4 are graphite.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of weight the XXXS works out at with all the graphite.

CASTER BLOCKS. I recently fitted a very fast KO Propo digital servo and found that the car became very twitchy - over responsive, even on the straight. I was running the standard 5 degree blocks. A change to 7 degree improved straight line stability no end.I also had to reduce all the steering parameters on the transmitter. Amazing!

Must stop. I've got 3 customer cars to finish off before this evening. The sooner I finish the sooner I can go down to the track.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:24 AM   #1077
Tech Adept

I will admit, his car was way more dialed than mine on that night. What was really impressive was not his driving but the acceleration the car had. I am not just talking top speed, I am talking torque in all the technical portions as well. I suppose the drive train had something to do with it, but man this car was fast for a stocker. It was the my first time at that track but I would have been hard pressed to find the speed to beat him. Of course I did not get to run my Yok or maybe things may have went my way(hahahahahaha), or not? Either way it is fun to see people take racing to another level. Can't wait to attend a larger race and really see what the big boys bring. Maybe it is my thumbs, or batts, or tires, or.....???
Old 01-24-2002, 11:20 AM   #1078

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by highx
I will admit, his car was way more dialed than mine on that night. What was really impressive was not his driving but the acceleration the car had. I am not just talking top speed, I am talking torque in all the technical portions as well. I suppose the drive train had something to do with it, but man this car was fast for a stocker. It was the my first time at that track but I would have been hard pressed to find the speed to beat him.
In OnRoad, you generate your own straightaway speed with your corner speed. Fast out of the corner = fast down the straight. In other words, a driver with a four pound car that can carry more throttle in the corner (especially the exit) and scrub less speed going though the corner will go faster all the way around than a driver with a three pound car that is soft-pedaling it. That being said, the same driver with the tank of a XXX-s would be even faster if he shed a few ounces!

The weight argument becomes a factor when talking about two equal drivers running the same line (or the same driver comparing his Yoke to his XXX-s to his TC3, etc.) with the same driving style. In that case, if the lighter car is setup to where it will carry the same amount of cornerspeed as the heavier one, it will be the faster one.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 05:18 PM   #1079

daniz, no, they are most definately 5 dergree blocks. These come standard on all MR-4 kits. In fact, yokomo has only just released the 3 and 7 degree blocks within the last three weeks. The car also has 2 degrees of kickup, so you have to add two degrees, so the 5's really give you 7 degrees of castor and the 3's give 5.

I have to add 3 1/4 ounce weights to my car to make it legal

Speedo
Old 01-24-2002, 07:07 PM   #1080
Regional Moderator

Thanks Speedo...
I'm confused because in Masami's setup he uses "standard 3 degrees"
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote