R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #1036
Tech Addict

Wink

Got the catalog in front of me so here's the 411 on the TC Custom. The visual differences between the TC and Custom look like...
Nylon arms, one piece top deck, Dish wheels, 2mm hex fasteners and rear anti roll bar.

First upgrade kit includes...
Front and rear "Silent" belts, Complete threaded shock set w/yellow springs, Front anti roll bar, Front one way unit, Blue alu steering posts and bearings.

The second and third upgrades basically bring the car up to either the "Worlds" or "Special" spec, depending on which pack you buy. This may be to tailor the end result to your requirements, the Worlds car was reputedly stiffer and this may suit indoor racing better then the more flexible SP chassis.

Both have....
Ti Turnbuckles, Center one ways and 15t front drive pulley, Chassis(Either W or SP), Machined top deck, Clamping wheel hubs, Front anti roll bars in different thicknesses(SP pack has upper and lower mounting), Blue Alu CVD's, Front and rear arms.
There are a few other items in the SP pack, it has the battery plate assembly and modified motor mount.

Last edited by Simon K; 01-10-2002 at 06:19 PM.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:27 AM   #1037
Tech Master

Hi guys, greetings from Malta.

The MR4 Custom is the latest basic MR4 touring car. I like Yoke's new idea of offering various option kits depending on the spec you wish.

The last lot of MR4s I received (10 in all) were MR4 Customs. They are the same price as the original, but so much better value - new chassis with battery and motor recesses, roll bar, all sorts of goodies.

It's a great beginners car straight out of the box.

But I still can't wait for something revolutionary by Masami and Dad. I'm sure they must have something up their sleeve, though I doubt it will be revolutionary - just more improvement on the tried and tested theme.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:20 AM   #1038
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

we got a few new parts in stock for the MR-4TC:

ZS-TPH Transponder Holder
ZS-644T Hollow Layshaft
ZS-640T Heavy Duty front one-way
ZM-4133 3 Degree front hub carrier
ZM-4137 7 degree front hub carrier
Also, we have the new pink springs in stock.

They are available on MR-4TC Hop-up pg. 2 and 3.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:26 AM   #1039
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm surprised that the "ZS-644T Hollow Layshaft" at $4.99 isn't more expensive than that??? I'm certainly not complaining though.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:20 PM   #1040
Tech Addict

Wink

I'm still waiting for a chance to try my car with the new layshaft.
All that extra horsepower, should be outa control

Unfortunately, if you have seen the weather at the "New Zealand Golf open" that Tiger woods is currently playing in, there will be no racing or practicing of any sort for a few days yet.
The course is 30 minutes drive from my place.

We've been having weird weather for the last few weeks, very wet which doesn't bode well for the onroad Nats here in a fortnight.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #1041
Tech Adept

why are 2wd sedans not popular such as the yokomo ddt or that ae one? arent these cars faster?
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 12:07 AM   #1042
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Simon, your New Zealand weather pattern seems to have floated to Malta. We are supposed to be racing tomorrow, but outside it is black cloud all over, so it doesn't look too hopeful.

I was supposed to be going down to play this afternoon, but that too seems unlikely. it's actually starting to rain.....again.

HOLLOW LAYSHAFT. I made my own ages ago and have been running it without any trouble. It should help for the standard item is a heavy chunk.

2 DOOR SHELLS. I don't know what it's like where you come from but here in Malta we run to the BRCA list, which only allows certain homologated bodyshells.

Regards

Joe from.....not so sunny Malta.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:30 PM   #1043
Tech Addict

Wink

I thought I'd have a look around a couple of Japanese car sites yesterday and guess what?

Tech racing also now have a Direct drive touring car called a DD.T which has similar specs to the Yokomo one.
It would appear that manufacturers are getting behind something new but whether it gets recognised at national level (JMRCA) remains to be seen.

Weather has improved today but its still pretty grim, windy and overcast. Satellite pics showed a swirl and lots of "L"s above NZ. Supposedly there is a big High over Australia heading our way, I hope it stays for a fortnight at least...
Old 01-13-2002, 09:59 AM   #1044

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

heh, and it's supposed to be summer where you are Simon. Here it's winter, and it's bright and sunny, though cold. I don't have to worry though as I race indoors, just as long as the highways don't get too icy.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:29 PM   #1045

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Lightbulb Stiffening chassis

The chassis on the Yokomo Special is very flexable, not as bad as the pro 3, but when compared to the losi, it is. I race on carpet indoors, and flex is bad, well, flex is bad anywhere, but especially on carpet. Anybody have any ideas of how to stiffen the car up?

I'm drawing up a top deck in Solid Works that I can hopefully get cut out of carbon fiber. I need some other ideas though, as it may take a while for me to get the carbon fiber one. I've heard of people putting epoxy beside the battery tray, down the belt channel and in various other places to reduse flex. Has anyone tried this or have oppinions on it?

All ideas would be helpful.

Another thing, my chassis is tweaked, badly. It came like that from the factory, my Dad's did too, and I checked another Yokomo the other day and it was the same. It must be a widespread defect in the earlier batches, they may have fixed it by now. If you set the car on a flat surface, and look from the back, the right front corner is lifted quite a bit.

I'm thinking that when I get this top deck made, I could space the holes near the motor (left rear) and the right front just a little farther appart the the other two that are diagonally across from each other to push the chassis flat. Any ideas on this? Right now I have the car clamped to something flat, hoping it may do some good, but I doubt it.

Help/suggestions would be appreciated,
Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 07:37 PM   #1046
Ty
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Speedo,
Have Penguin R/C custom cut a thick upper deck for you, their prices are very reasonable.

Call Yokomo and insist they replace the chassis. Don't take no for an answer. It is their fault and they should live up to it and exchange your chassis. Another thing you can do is pick up a World's chassis off of eBay because it is stiffer than the Special chassis. You can even try a Penguin lower chassis. Good luck.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:19 PM   #1047
Tech Initiate

Default Lightweight Layshaft

Hello.

Anyone out there use a lightweight layshaft?

and do they notice any difference for the better?
eg faster top speed or better acceleration.

Thanks Ryan
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 10:53 PM   #1048
Tech Addict

Wink

He he..
You'll find out next weekend won't you Ryan

Josh,
The epoxy down the center of the chassis sounds interesting...Other than that, try a PRO top deck as it isn't quite so extensively machined and would be easy to come by.
Look at Josh Cyruls car when he ran a Yoke and try something along those lines.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:33 AM   #1049
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

SPEEDO. I understand your feelings about flex, and yes the Special does do alot of it. I have encouraged it even further with mine, but that's because of the peculiarities of our track, which is bumpy.

The Worlds Chassis is supposed to be the most rigid. In conjunction with the Pro top plate this should be your best bet on carpet. Alternatively, if you wish to retain the sp chassis then try and find a way of bolting the top plate to the main chassis along it's length with pillars - remember how the YR4 used to be with about 4 or 5 pillars? The extensions on the latest Masami car go some way to doing that I suppose.

I had a lousy day yesterday. The car was fast and handled well, but kept glitching throughout both finals. Son Josh did well with his TC3, winning both finals and moving up to the top of the championship standings.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:10 AM   #1050
Tech Fanatic

Default Yokomo foams

Hello. This is slightly off topic but thought you guys would know. How do Yok's foam sedan tires compare with Jaco and TRC? What f/r compounds do your recommend for carpet? Thanks for any help.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote