R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2001, 10:00 PM   #856
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

BigDog,

Any way I can convince you to share your MVP tuning secrets?

Trips
Old 11-22-2001, 03:50 AM   #857
Tech Addict

Wink

Trips,
Just ask him and he's happy to share.....

Daniz,
I used 28/78 for 4 minute race with 2400's. Got some HV cells on the way.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 01:07 PM   #858

BigDog - Try Boca Bearing. Yokomo will probably charge too much for the bearings. Better yet, there might be some markings on the bearings. ie: NHK, NSK etc...
http://www.bocabearings.com or
http://www.ibsco.com A Huston based company

I saw 4x8x6 one way bearing in the Boca catalog for $11 each
thatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:12 AM   #859
Ty
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I purchased bearings directly from Yokomo USA a few months ago for my Special and the price and quality was very good. They even had teflon sealed bearings at a great price. Call them up and the shipping was fast ( I live on the east coast) so I was pretty satisfied dealing with them.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 09:08 PM   #860

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have bought several replacement wheel bearings, from yok, but that is about it. If I were to replace them, I'd go to www.rcboyz.com They seem to have very decent pricing, and apparently, the pricing isn't bad either.

Will be racing the yok again on carpet tomorrow. Had it set up great with 139G's, but I'm going to try it with sorex tomorrow. I found that heavy swaybars and stiff springs all around (low roll) works best.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:47 AM   #861
Tech Adept

Can anyone remember what weight of shock oil comes in the Special kit.

Can anyone recommend any builidng / tuning tips for running stock on a very smooth slippery wooden flooring. Scumacher mini pins are the control tyre but it is max traction I will be after.

Thanks

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 12:05 PM   #862
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yorkie: I think the Special kit comes with #450 oil. Not 100% sure, though. Maybe someone else can confirm. Have never run on a slippery surface so I can really give you any tips...sorry!
Old 11-24-2001, 09:28 PM   #863
Tech Addict

Wink

Yorkie,
After the first two or three race days, clean all the Original packing grease from the ball bearings in the car and re-oil sparingly with a lighter, high performance bearing oil.
I have heard that brand new bearings need to be run in first, before removing all the grease.

You may want to buy the SP fixed drive gear adapter and parts to build a front diff.
If traction is low, full time 4wd may be a better option than using the dual one ways.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 12:18 AM   #864
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies,

I have a front diff and fixed pulley coming with the kit. That is a must on our surfaces. #45 wt oil should be fine, as that's what I ran in my PRO3.

Do you recommend making any mods to the upper deck to increase flex and would this have a noticable difference in traction?

I also remember someone (think it was on Kentech's site) mounting the rear camber links to the bulkhead to increase rear traction. What size cap head screw do you need?

There are two or three SP's at our club and they all run really well with the basic set up but softer springs. I've heard of a few mods to increase traction on the PRO but just wondering if they apply to the SP?

Thanks

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 01:59 AM   #865
Tech Elite

Well I just ran 2 carpet races this weekend. And they were my very first time running carpet TC. First race I made A-main in stock class. Purple/purple front, purple rears. Tires unshaved... hehe (don't laugh, my first time okay) Setup was good, just not fast enough for some odd reason. I did lead at one time but lost it quick. Ended up 6th or 7th after a crash at the end of the race.

Next race, once again my setup was awesome. Ran 29 laps. Top man there with a TC3 did 34. Yikes. I thought I did good too! Next time out I did 32 laps (went down a tooth). The top guy came to me and said if I shaved my tires and upped a tooth or two I'd gain a lap. I said yeah right. But I had him shave them anyways.. hehe. 3rd round I did 34 laps and took TQ from him! Almost had 35 laps, but I was hacked a couple times. Anyways, the A-main paced seemed to be down. We only ended up with 33 laps. I took 2nd and the top guy got 1st. It was a good race. Just can't believe shaving my tires and goin up 2 teeth gave me 2 laps! Yikes.... now I gotta go back to the other track and see what I can do....

Sorry about the long post. Just got back from my weekend of racing. Wanted to tell all my tales. Of course I was the only Yok out there amoung TC3's, XXX-S, and X-Ray. My first time running carpet and it was awesome. Can't wait to do it again! Welp... off to bed..... L8R

Jimmy Mac
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 02:05 AM   #866
Tech Elite

Forgot to mention a little side note about my first race... hehe. I shredded the rear belt on my Special. So I ran the 2 remaining heats with just front wheel drive (dual oneways and NO brakes). Hey, I did good though! Luckily one guy there had a yok but was racing his XXX-S. Gave me one of his rear belts for free. Thanks!! What's a good stong rear belt for the Specials?? I race stock(carpet), but I do do 10t mod on asphalt too (maybe that's what killed it). The belt he gave me wasn't narrow and it had yellow print on it. He said it was a very strong belt. I just need to get some for my pit box..... Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Jimmy Mac
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 08:38 AM   #867
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Killruf

The belt I gave you was the rear belt of the Worlds car.
The part number is: ZS-132S

This belt is the same size as your special belt, only a bit wider.
On carpet, I would stay away from the special belts, they heat up and break and they also ruin the one-way adapter.
Just talking about the rear belt though.

Btw, I want to sell my Yok, do you know anybody who'd be interested?

It's the worlds kit with 2 full sets od Penguin graphite kits, tons of spare parts and a few bodies.

Stefan
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:17 AM   #868
Tech Rookie

hey,
whatsup
i havnt been here for a whle causei am moving to sacremento and have been up there for a few weeks. anyway, i crashed y car because it lost control. it went full speed head on into a curb. i broke that piece that covers the front one way. the problem is i dont know what it is called. do you know what i am talking about. the front bumper and the upper deck bhoth connect to it.

any help is appreciated
thanks
kurt
micro_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 11:39 AM   #869

ZS-300FTG Front bulkhead - graphite $12.00
thatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 12:09 PM   #870
Tech Rookie

no i ordered that thinking it was the piece and it is not. that is the piece that goes on bottom and connect to the chassis. the piece i am looking for goes on top and it covers the diff. here is a pic of the broken one along with my front bumper.

thanks
kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken part with front bumper.jpg (56.7 KB, 64 views)
micro_man is offline   Reply With Quote