R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2001, 05:26 AM   #796
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

johnbull: It's not strange that Masami has not had problems with the one ways but he said he had not heard of any problems in Japan so I think that was what he meant. It depends a lot on how the tracks are built I would guess... Don't think we got any in return for the broken ones we sent...it was just so they could have a look at what had happened.

Speedo: I attach a pic (nice drawing! ) of the track. The grip was medium but remember we run TakeOffs as control tyres and mild traction additives so the grip is not REALLY high but the cars are not sliding around either. If you have seen, or when you will see, Masamis setup from the Japan nats you will notice that my setup is pretty close to that. As I said it was the first time on carpet this season so I just went towards that setup from my asphalt standard setup. My car was really good with the setup I posted at the site but with more testing I'm sure it could be even better. I run short shocks (like Masami), but also the ride height was 3.5mm front and 4mm rear so the droop is still about the same as usual. The car felt really good like this. The car was also better with the old rear arms but with more grip I think the new ones might work really good. BTW, I did not win that race...finished 8th...I never win any races!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg track.jpg (6.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-14-2001, 07:34 AM   #797
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Manticore-what car do you run now? Yeah, I agree, they should have had these things out a long time ago! I wanted them for the pro too

Anyway, about the blocks, yokomo claims that the 3 degree blocks make the car more agressive, while the 7 degree ones do the opposite. I have heard differently, but this makes sense. Less castor means the front of the car doesn't raise as much when the wheels are turned; the more castor the more the front is rasied during cornering. Of course the shocks compress, so the the chassis still lowers, but not as much as with less castor. less castor means the front can lower more, transfering more weight onto the front tires, and therefore making the car more aggressive. Any thoughts?

kentech- congratulations on the win, even though it was a while ago. We are having our Northwest carpet champs here the first weekend of December, and I am looking forward to that. What kind of layout and surface is your carpet track? I am interested, because I am playing around with setups, and trying a few things. I notice that your shocks are very short, and the same length all round. What do you think about running it this way? Also, what do you find different about the worlds and special swayabrs.

Anyone who runs carpet, could you please shar a bit about your setup? I am interested, to see what other ppl are running. I started the special out with 40 and 3's, and am pleased to see that is what most people run, so I must have gotten that right. Other than that, what have you done to your car?

Speedo
I have Xray and YM34 (jap version) and like both cars on drive tran efficiency. pretty much happy with the xray although I had a corally C4 before. the C4 pissed me off a bit due to its fault in design.

about the 3' C block, It should give you better grip at the front end as you will have better tire contact patch when you steer.

Last edited by Manticore; 11-14-2001 at 07:37 AM.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 07:58 AM   #798
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Kentech, glad to see other people in other lands have suffered with the original front one ways. I don't mean this unkindly, but it's some sort of consolation that it's not just us.

I suppose Mantricore has a good point about works drivers not experiencing certain problems, since their equipment is all "lifed" by the manufacturers. For example I know that most works supported LRP runners replace their speedos with monotonous regularity, for fears of breakdowns. I'm sure this happens with plenty of other companies.

I have always adopted this system, even in real car racing - the engine gets rebuilt with quite a few new parts after very few hours work, as do lots of other parts, such as brake pipes and rubbers, electronic equipment, etc.

I agree with your comments on Montoya and Villeneuve being well among the best. What a shame Jacques isn't in a competitive car - we would certainly see some three way battles and plenty of sparks!

I wonder if Yokomo would take my stock of old one ways back, and replace them with the newer one?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Masami uses all new rear custom made aluminium alloy diff outdrive every race. their motor mount are also customer made (bare aluminium). Those are what we can see and there should have something that we cannot see.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 04:55 PM   #799

kentech, your track layout looks similar, but if you are running a control tire, then traction would not be as high. We are running Sorex, and get tons of grip We cannot go below 5mm for ride height, ROAR rules, so that is probably why our shocks have to be a little longer. What do you think of running the shocks the same length front and back though? I have had to have the front at about 61.5 mm to get steering, but the car is not responsive enough. I have shortened them alot, so I'm interested to see what happens.

Why would they need a custom made bulkhead? You think it is a little unfair that yokomo would hold these things back from the public for so long! It makes sense though, they want to see their drivers win. And heck, if I was offered a new car for each race, I'd take it!

I think the next big leap in the technology of these cars is going to be new materials. I don't know what it is going to be, but something with higher tolerances, perhaps lighter and stiffer will most definately come along eventually. Right now it is hard to get tolerances very tight with molded material, having to compensate for shrinking and all!
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 08:48 PM   #800
Tech Apprentice

what exactly went wrong with the one ways? i've got one in my box that broke and i haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Is yokomo replacing them for free? TIA
TC3Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 10:31 PM   #801
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I have my one-way for almost 2 years and never had any problems.
What's wrong with yours?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 05:44 AM   #802
Tech Fanatic

stefan: I have not broken a one way myself since last winter. Other drivers have had more problems breaking them, though. That was on a very tight carpet track...when I hit a board the one way bearing broke (so it was not a one way anymore!). This happens when you hit something with a front wheel that forces the front wheel to "spin the wrong way"...the result is a broken one way. The new ones will definitely be stronger because of the larger bearings...but also heavier...

TC3Killer: Yokomo are NOT replacing them for free. They just made a stronger version of the one way. It's just another option...if you want a strong one way buy the new one. If you want a lighter one way buy the old one!

Speedo: Well the grip is actually quite good...the TakeOff SSA tyres are rated '25'...which would be similar to a Pit D25 or Yokomo 138M in compound. I don't like the way the car is with long front shocks...it becomes very un-precise to drive and in chicanes it's really difficult. With 5mm ride height I would run between 59.7-60.mm front shocks. Rear I would run 60.0-60.5mm.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:08 AM   #803
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Speedo, you race regularly at West Coast Hobbies right? What tires is everyone using? I need an idea on what to bring for the Northwest Carpet Champs.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2001, 05:18 PM   #804

Interesting that you would run longer rear, kentech. I have my front shocks at 60mm, and the back at 59.2mm. I could get one of them down to 58.7mm, but the other would go no less than 59.2...Must have put a limiter in the shock

mo-glad to hear you're coming down. Seems Sorex 24R front at 20R back with echo red inserts are the key...Deadline for sign-ups is this Saturday. Some people will eventually try the new Pits, apparently they like them alot up at Rain. Darren should have plenty of tires and stuff available.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 12:53 AM   #805
Tech Addict

Wink

Practice day and the MVP has been laying down plenty of Smack.
Qualifiers tomorrow and the weather forecast is Pants.

Fingers crossed...
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:33 AM   #806
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Simon- are you running that MVP tune-up I sent you? Did you get the parts to do it? If it's fast, then you must have remembered what the most important part of tuning the MVP was....hehe
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 10:56 AM   #807
Tech Fanatic

Just found out what will be the next releases from Yokomo...in DECEMBER probably...

- New inserts (that they used at the Japan nats), 039M and 039F
- New Beltec 7B, or ZR-139B, tyres
- Peak Matched Plus11 and 12 Sanyo HV batteries
- Yokomo Stratus Type C (also used at Japan nats)

also some nitro parts I think...

No more info on the products...
Old 11-16-2001, 01:15 PM   #808
Regional Moderator

kentech, i'm still waiting for Masami's All Japan nats setup from your website... Thanks
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 03:37 PM   #809
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

Big Dog,

How about sending me that Tune UP so I can whoop Toastie.

Thx
Steve M
StMedina@aol.com
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 03:52 PM   #810
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I'm writing from my home computer. It's pathetically slow.

Kentech. Interesting new Yoke items, including tyres. Can somebody list all the Yoke tyre numbers with details of which are soft, medium, firm etc, and possibly indicate where these new ones fit in. I believe Mars had given me a list a while ago.

Any help will be appreciated.

We race Sunday, the 7th and 8th rounds of our championship. Ran the Special yesterday and it really feels good. The impressive thing with this soft and flexy set up is that the car never seems to tweek. I remember the times, with the Worlds chassis and top plate when, every time I went to the track the car handled differently. Now it's always the same.......good!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote