R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2001, 04:32 PM   #661

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

johnbull- do you find that the new rear wishbones take away traction?
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:06 PM   #662
Tech Rookie

Smile

hey guys,
whats up

i am new to this forum and touring cars all together. i bought a mr4tc worlds edition and i am going to race. i think i am going to get a p2k or a p2k 2 if i can get a hold of one. anyway i was thinking about getting the penguin chassis, but is it worth the money. isnt the world chassis graphite already( i dont know because it isnt here yet). well i just wondered because the penguin chassis are on sale for 89.99. also i got the basic setup from yokomo, is there anything i am going to want to change about it? and last, what are the best tires for prepared asphault that is in the 80 degree temp range(it probably wont be 80 degrees for long it will get down to about 60) well thanks for any help

later
micro_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:37 PM   #663

The penguin is good, but you can also get the special conversion, made by yokomo. It includes a new narrowed chassis, upper deck, motor mount, center one-way and more. If you have the worlds, you shouldn't need to buy everything else for it, the one-way pulley that you need is included in the worlds kit. One recomendation is that since you are starting racing, you may want to buy a front diff. The worlds comes with a front one-way, and although this can be faster on some tracks, it is not extremely durable, and is harder to drive with.

For tires, I'm thinking maybe sorex 32, 28R? I don't run on ashfault, but there are some other doods here can help ya.

josh
Old 10-30-2001, 08:06 PM   #664
Tech Addict

Bigdog,
I've tried 30wt/Yellow/#3 assoc (front) and 25wt/Blue/#3 assoc (rear) and that worked really well.
I ran out of the thinner oils during the last service so had to go to 50 fr and 40 rear(same pistons and springs) but i'll go back this weekend. I think a thinner setup feels better and I'll just tune it from there with the anti roll bars.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:01 PM   #665
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

Micro Man,

Ixnay on the Penguin.

Like speedo said, special conversion would be a better purchase, if you are looking to buy something. The world's chassis you have is an awesome setup. The only difference between it and the conversion, which puts everything closer to the center line, is that the special chassis setup really likes a softer setup than would be on the world's. Everyone here has had the World's chassis and loved it. I personally just recently through my hard headedness found out that the special likes a softer setup. Since everything is closer to the center line, it reacts "quicker". Therefore a not so stiff setup actually makes it easier to drive. If you look at some of the other posts, you will see a post by Kentech. He is from Finland, and has a great website that he keeps up to date with newstuff, setups, etc. If you email him, or post anyone here for that matter, you will get plenty of help.

It is hard to go wrong with the original p2k. Pretty reliable, good torque and rpm. I haven't got my hands on a p2k2, but I believe someone here has. It is advertised to have more rpm than the original p2k, but with that comes less torque, speaking generally. I have a turbo thirty, and what I have found out through all the motor tinkering, is that.....stock is stock. Yes through springs and brushes you can get a little more out of the motor, but The guy who wins stock is not necessarily the one with the best of the best motors, but the guy who can drive with the least amount of mistakes. To the guy that makes the least number of mistakes, then a great motor would just make them that much better. There have been events that I've raced that I knew that my stock motors that I was running were among the best there, but that does not translate to wins. Driving wins races, and if you are fast, a good motor just makes you a little faster.

I have been recently running sorex 24 with either green hpi inserts, or blue hpi inserts on 80 degree asphalt. But the best thing to do is find out from the most experienced guys at the track are running. What tire, and what insert would be the question to ask.

Other than that, everything Speedo said.
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:15 PM   #666

Where can I find mo's carpet setup? I'd like to see it. I've looked at his page, but the setups seem to be for the pro/worlds, I would like to see his special setup. I presume he runs a front one-way in them, what would you do if you weren't running one?

Josh
Old 10-30-2001, 09:34 PM   #667
Tech Rookie

thanks a lot for your help guys. i think i will start looking into the special conversion. how much does it cost and do you know any sights where i can get it?

thanks
micro_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:37 PM   #668
Tech Adept

specials are usually around 75-80 and are available at your lhs or they can order them for you
was ist los? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 09:57 PM   #669

75-80 is awfully cheap. I paid 100 for mine. www.speedtechrc.com has them for 85 bucks, and steve is a really nice guy. Since you have the worlds, you won't need to buy anything else to get it to work
Old 10-30-2001, 11:02 PM   #670
Tech Initiate

Speedo

don't know if he has carpet setup. here is limk to ez2drive setup.

http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=1492

here is james arluck's, pretty similar

http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=1491

Last edited by StMedina; 10-30-2001 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:16 PM   #671
Tech Initiate

Here is a hypo all things being equal question.

asphalt, 80 degrees, sorex 24r. what would changing inserts do, hpi blu, green, red, yellow. firm to soft. I know the only way to find out, is to try it, but that could get expensive.

thx
steve
Old 10-31-2001, 08:32 AM   #672
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

SPEEDO. I can't say I have found any difference in handling with the new type arms, except of course that since they make the car longer there is an automatic improvement there, and also the drive shafts run much straighter so that helps the overall performance.

I did a couple of runs today with a different wing with less downforce but found the car too slittish, so will revert to the standard Protoform Stratus rear wing.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 09:18 AM   #673
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Speedo, I have not run carpet with the special chassis yet. We only get to run carpet during the winter time. The first race is on the 17th of November. I'll post a setup for the Special after that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Where can I find mo's carpet setup? I'd like to see it. I've looked at his page, but the setups seem to be for the pro/worlds, I would like to see his special setup. I presume he runs a front one-way in them, what would you do if you weren't running one?

Josh
Old 10-31-2001, 09:30 AM   #674
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Generally, the cooler the weather, the softer the insert I run. With Sorex 28R or 24R I usually run HPI Red inserts. Are you saying the track temp is 80 degrees or the air temp? If the track temp gets up around 95 or 100, you might want to try 28R's with HPI Green inserts. Sorex also has inserts out. You might want to try some Sorex Medium Type A inserts. I have run them in 28R's with a track temp around 70 degrees and they worked great.

Quote:
Originally posted by StMedina
Here is a hypo all things being equal question.

asphalt, 80 degrees, sorex 24r. what would changing inserts do, hpi blu, green, red, yellow. firm to soft. I know the only way to find out, is to try it, but that could get expensive.

thx
steve
Old 10-31-2001, 01:16 PM   #675
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys, everytime I hit a corner with my Special I can guarantee a bent front dogbone. I was thinking of getting the hardened universal from Yokomo but the other option is to get the MIP version, which works better?
Da4head is offline   Reply With Quote