Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Big Dog

Were you at the last reg in houston at performance raceway.
That was the one where they started the A main over a few times. I qualified I think somewhere between 12 and 15. B main. I was still trying to make the old setup work on the car. I wish I could have a do over. I remember that the car was extremely twitchy with green/green. I think I was running 55wt/45wt. I was pitting right next to Toasty. Toasty was running silver/silver. copper/none. Man I tried everything to get it to work.....except going softer. Damn.

Were running on asphalt and concrete here in S. Texas. The concrete is of the slightly rough variety. Asphalt VHT, Concrete Pineapple/Orange soda. Concrete is actually quite stuck.

Steve
Old 10-29-2001, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

It seems everybody is starting to realise that unless you are in the Masami class, a soft set up on the Yoke works better.

I had occasion yesterday to reverse the usual situation whereby real race car tuning is applied to RC.

We had a round of the National Hill Climb championship yesterday and I was able to apply my RC technology to the real thing.

We started off with a car that was very tail happy. My brother and I both shared the driving, he did 3 runs - I did 2. We both agreed after our first run that we needed to do something about a back end that was always trying to race the front. I tell you that cornering at close on 100 mph it get's a bit exciting when the back end starts trying to catch the front. It stops being funny!

Anyway I persuaded David that removing the rear roll bar would probably help - and it certainly did. We both improved our times dramatically on our second runs, and had a good day's fun.

Now I need more mileage in the car. The brakes are so good on it that i find I am always letting off too early, so this is where knowledge of the car will help, and the resultant improvement in times.

Next hill climb in two weeks time. But for this week it's back to RC and another championship round this coming Sunday.

Don't we keep ourselves busy!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 10-29-2001, 02:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Talking my car

i love my yokomo mr4 tc pro i was driving it at a carpet track and crashed it a few times and noting broke it has good handiling very good handiling .
Old 10-29-2001, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Unhappy

i love the grafite arms what are you talking about.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

The graphite arms are extremely brittle. I have never broken and arm, having never run the graphite ones. My Dad tried them however, and he was breaking them left and right. He hasn't broken any more since switching back to the standard ones.

Simon- it seems to me that it would be like putting a string in two places down the center of a piece of paper, it would want to warp more. I was just wondering how yours is...I also find I have to check the tweak before each run. Much easier to do in the front, cause you can line the screwdriver up with that ridge in the chassis, not so easy in the back. I'm looking at getting a tweak station, just saw the integy one, looks very nice! Used a laser to point on a scale.

johnbull-sounds like you had fun. Not neccesarily soft, softer than the pro/worlds. I find that the yok yellow spring is fairly close to the XXX-S springs the guys here are running, and they are using fairly stiff ones on the losi chart. I'm using greens in front and yellow in the back, car is amazing!

Josh
Old 10-29-2001, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

My son and I are new to carpet racing and I need some advice. What gearing would you use on a fairly tight track with a P2K-2 motor. I am buying one to use in my sons first carpet races this weekend and I don't want to burn it up. We have a pro model with the stock 78 tooth spur gear. Also is there any advantage to 64 pitch gears? TIA

Matt
Old 10-29-2001, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

I am running your equivilant of about a 22 tooth pinion. I would start 22 and go from there. 64 pitch will make the car quieter, and may make it feel more "punchy"
Old 10-29-2001, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Josh,
To check the rear tweak I just pick it up by the rod itself as it is central. Works a treat

As for the question about 64 pitch,
The only real benefit is more flexibilty tuning gear ratios. The finer teeth allow smaller adjustments to be made to a set gear ratio as opposed to 48 pitch gears which have larger teeth and going up or down just one tooth has a greater effect on the ratio.
The 64 pitch spurs and pinions can be damaged easier by debris so be careful.

Last edited by Simon K; 10-29-2001 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Medina- yea I was there. I was still running both of my TC3s at the time. Which is prolly why I broke in like every freakin qualifying round. I got 1st int the mod B main on Sunday though. It was great, but I can't figure out why the guys in this part of the country don't like mod . They never want to run mod sedan. I love mod because I spend a lot of time getting my car to run fast, and always seem to do better in mod than stock.

I have no doubt that you woulda been faster with the yellow/green or white/yellow setup in Texas. I also think you're right on target about the 55wt oil being too stiff. Man, I wish I had a good pic of Christian's car so I could see what his setup was. His Dad is definately a good tuner.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, that would work Simon! Was checking the car for tweak before the main when I noticed I had my ride hieght at 3mm, only supposed to be at 5mm
Old 10-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys,

i'll just ask if the inch-up rims are no good for the mr4? my friend here adviced me not to use inch-up rims since they will make the car wild or uncontrollable.

also what are the effects of a slightly bent cvd? thnx!
Old 10-29-2001, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

I don't exactly know what's different about them, but I would advise you not to use them anyway because they are prone to cracking. Pick up a set of the dish rims, they are only 8 bucks a set.

Bent CVD- replace it, buy the MIP ones, the shiny's, they are cheaper and more durable. I use the shiny's up front and the yok aluminum ones in the back.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Big Dog

Christian was running green/green no sway bar. i believe 45/50 or 50/45. It wasn't soft. I believe he was running #2 piston as well. I remember trying his setup, and it was just too twitchy for me. But I didn't even think about softening up, in fact I went green/yellow or maybe even oran/yellow trying to get the rear end to stick. I never even thought of going softer. Brian, the kid with the Hara paint job was green/green 55/45 no sway bar #2 piston all the way around. Tried that setup, just too twitchy. Rear end was trying to catch up to the front. I was doing things that would have settled down the car with the old chassis, But I only had the Special I guess for about 2 weeks or so, so who knew that softer was better. If I remember correctly, everyone with a Yok was running what worked before with the "Worlds/Pro" chassis. Orange/orange, green/green... etc. I guess I should have known when Toastie went silver/silver although oil was 55/45. In fact as twitchy as my car was, Toast took it and drove it and said he liked it. That leads me to the conclusion that some guys can just drive. If its a little loose, they adjust. I want to go back and try blue/blue, white/yellow, silver/green just to see. 3.5 hour drive though. Oh well. I guess some might get a little frustrated trying to find setup, but that actually is the fun part for me. TC is truly the only thing that completely takes my mind away from work. A main, B main...G main, it doesn't matter. Just racing, being with friends that you haven't seen in a while, this spring, that oil, etc. is the fun part.

Man, what's up with the Titans?

Steve
Old 10-29-2001, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Cool,
Thanks for the info Medina. I have been wondering what they were running ever since that race. Christian was running absolutely flawless- but then his Dad OWNED the track, so he should. I think possibly Bos was a little faster but couldn't get it together. I believe he has since beaten Christian's time before they changes the layout... but not sure. I talk to Bos now an then on AIM. He's really a cool guy.

I'm like you- those twitchy setups are just too loose for me. I suppose one day I'll be good enough to drive one like that, but not right now. I would rather feel confident than twitchy.

Let us know how the softer setups work for you.

BTW- Titans???? What Titans???? Never heard of them....
Old 10-30-2001, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

WISHBONES.

I agree that the graphite items while being light are also a bit fragile.

I presently use the new - long wheelbase type - with the moulded ball end for the roll bars. They are made of a composite material. They are a bit heavier than the graphite items, but I also find them much stronger. I haven't broken one yet.

You wait I'll break one during the racing on Sunday!

DARKSIDE........Where are you? We don't have much to talk about now that the F1 scene is taking a break.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.