R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2001, 08:42 PM   #616
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

I started with Masami's setup this weekend. I decided to go back to square 1. To me just experimenting this weekend, it seems that the softer you go, the more drivable. Ran Masami's std, man the car was "steery". Went to kentech's std. car was neutral to slight push especially late in the run. Could have been the time of day. Keeping shock oil the same 40wt. went to Blue/Blue Copper sway bar front, silver rear. Car was very easy to drive, ran the main, did great. Easy to drive. Gonna try and see if I can find a balance between Masami's and Blue/Blue. Liked the responsiveness of Masami's, but I ain't no Masami. Blue/blue was consistent from beginning to end. Maybe white/white, or white/yellow. ???????????. And adjust swaybars from there. I think Big Dog, that white/yellow might be sweet. Looking forward to it.
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Thanks Speedo-
I would rather have traction than responsiveness, so I think I'll lighten it up a little.The car seems really hooked right now, but it doesn't carve the turns quite like I want it to, in other words it's still pushing a little. However, the way I have it geared, I can kick the rear of the car around exiting the turn if I want to. I'm to the point now that I think I can fine tune the way it carves the turns with the droop. I might soften the front springs one spring, so I'll be going from yellow X4 to white/yellow. I think between that and the droop I can make this baby hard to beat. It's already the fastest mod car at our track, but I think I can improve.

All suggestions are welcome- thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by StMedina; 10-24-2001 at 09:00 PM.
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:01 PM   #617
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to StMedina

Oh, anyone got their hands on a p2k2 yet. What do you think.
StMedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 10:12 PM   #618
Tech Rookie

Doc Martin: if your comparing the special to a worlds then the main difference would be the one ways. the US Pro came out fulll time 4wd. if you slap on a front and center one way to the Pro, you should find that it will move pretty much like the special. so the difference dosent lie in the chassis design but the prescence of the one ways. so i go back and say that there is no significant difference between the two. From the v-spec to the special, thats another story.
Balasubas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:30 AM   #619
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Haven't been on this thread for a few days, and see the spring and chassis discussion is still on.

I still can't get over how great my Yoke SP was last Sunday. I went down again yesterday to try out our circuit configuration for November, and again the car was great.

Glad to see that most of you agree that a nice soft set up with plenty of suspension travel works best on the Special. I run mine with 30 oil and yellow Tamiya springs, and with plenty of shock travel (droop). I do have both front and real roll bars.

Incidentally I am not running any one ways at present as our current circuit is fairly tight and requires quite a bit of braking, but the December circuit will be a very fast one so one ways will certainly be in order there.

It's real car time this weekend again. Gladly we have found the misfire that plagued the car throughout the last hill climb, and it is crisp and clean as anything now, so I should have some fun on Sunday. It turned out to be a duff electronic ignition unit.

But I'll tell you what - racing RC is so much easier. No trailers, no starter batteries, no pit crew - just a few steps up to the rostrum and race in shorts and tee shirt instead of hot and sweaty three layer flameproofs.

And another somewhat important factor. A season of racing RC costs me less than a set of slick race tyres for the real car, which last less than a season anyway.

You may call me a hypocrit if you like, but my recommendation is Stick to RC.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 08:10 AM   #620
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Joe,
I know what you mean. I raced my street legal '93 mustang in Outlaw Street races for a couple of years. I would spend more in one weekend of racing than I spend in 2 months of rc racing. That's not counting the frequent piston replacements and other parts failures caused by high doses of nitrous.

Speedo,

I'm glad we are finding the same things. I'm definately a tinkerer too, so I'll continue our tests Sunday after next when we race again. I won't be able to race Saturday because we bought a house and I have to move..... I'l be running in the region 6 regionals the weekend after that, on a high traction but very tight and fast track, so I'll need all the tight steering I can get. I'm definately thinking the Masami with white/yellow may be the ticket, however with the added traction and VHT they put down, I might need the stiffer springs like Masami's setup. Wish I had time to go down there and test the car now that I'm getting a handle on the suspension....
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 09:06 AM   #621
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I found some interesting photos on an Asian web site (Joybox). Is Yokomo producing a 1/10th scale rear drive pan type touring car??? http://203.174.72.114/joybox/hs01082.jpg
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:01 AM   #622
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Geppetto: Thats a good question. I don't see why. Unless those cars are really popular in Japan.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:49 PM   #623
Tech Addict

Post HEY EVERYONE!

My first time on rctech, i'm sure some of you know me from yokomo usa. lol.
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 04:55 PM   #624

Hey yok fan, and nice avatar!

Yeah, lighter oil would make it easier to drive, because it takes away responsiveness.

Actually, the worlds comes with dual one-ways, the pro does not.

And P2K2- I dyno'd one and it was crap...Might take a while to figure out how to tune them, maybe BigJim can help there!

BigDog- I like tinkering also! Will be racing again in two days, so I may try a few things, but I'm pretty close to a great setup. My tinkering can be fatal, I get it working great, but have to keep trying things, so it ends up like crap

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:49 PM   #625
TK
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Geppetto Those type of class has been around for a year or so. They call them Sedan spec or something like that here. I know if you go to www.teamspeedmerchant.com that have one on ther web site. Also at the show they had YRK 2000 with sedan wheels on it. It seems like yokomo is trying to find a class that money isnt the deciding factor in it.
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 12:47 AM   #626
Tech Rookie

Johnbull or anyone: Are the sway bars really important with the special chassis? What happens if you dont use the sway bars?Thanks in advance!
Doc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 01:37 AM   #627
Tech Addict

Wink

I got the SP fixed drive gear adapter today, along with the new transponder holder and the shim kit they just released, so I'll be stripping the car to put everything in....
New gear adapter doesn't have as slot for the pin to lock onto the center shaft, not so sure about that, but not too much of a problem as I'll order one of the new lightweight center shafts next week..

I would assume that running a lighter oil will mean the car will roll more, the antiroll bars will calm the car down, the different thicknesses of bar allow you to tailor the amount of roll to your liking. I'm probably wrong about this, but what the hey??!
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 04:21 AM   #628
Tech Rookie

Simon K what about traction? Do anti roll bars help or hinder cornering traction?
Doc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:07 AM   #629
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon K
I would assume that running a lighter oil will mean the car will roll more, the antiroll bars will calm the car down, the different thicknesses of bar allow you to tailor the amount of roll to your liking. I'm probably wrong about this, but what the hey??!
Simon- you are right about the anti roll bars calming the car down, but only where there is enough traction. The lighter oil does not allow the car to roll more, because the oil has nothing to do with the spring rates. What it does is to slow down (heavier oil) or speed up (lighter oil) the time it takes the suspension to roll. Droop and spring rate is what changes the amount of roll, and camber links change the characteristics or the roll. The reason you typically want the shock oil as heavy as possible is to increase the amount of resopnse you feel what the suspension reacts to input. Of course, there are many other factors that affect what oil you run too, like on carpet, no matter whether you think the car is too responsive or not, if you go too light on the shock oil, the suspension will roll so fast that when it hits full travel the car will traction roll.

How many of you guys are beating XXX-S' at your track? They are fast, but the ones at my track can't hang with my Yok. I get so sick of hearing how fast they are. We'll see next month at the region 6 regionals. I think there are some guys from Texas coming that run the Losi.

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 10-26-2001 at 08:10 AM.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:33 AM   #630
Tech Addict

Default Speedo

"hey speedo, or anyone else that knows, what foam bumper are you using? what is the make and the price, it looks quite high density foam which retains it's shape, is this true?"

This was from the Yokomo site, someone asked you this but i saw no reply so i thought posting it here would make you answer it. Its in the "post your pics" thread if you want to reply, or i could for you.

Quote: Hey Yok Fan, Nice avatar

Thanks alot speedo, you got a nice avatar aswell.

Hmm, this forum has alot of buttons, me confused getting used to the Yokomo forum an all.
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote