R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2001, 12:45 AM   #556
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Darkside, Kentech, and others-
I moved that caster block hinge pin on my SP up to the top hole like we discussed earlier and reset the ride height to 5.5. I did NOT move the camber links or anything else. I experienced a little more high speed steering, although it wasn't a huge difference, but I did expereince quite a bit more low speed steering. It wasn't spinning out, or loose, just turning quicker and more responsive.

I was gonna try moving the camber link also, but I was running a well tuned 10D Sonic 2 on a smooth high traction track, and I chunked a rear dogbone!!! Dangit, she was flyin too!!. The other guys were saying it sounded like a turbo motor swooshing bye. Oh well, there's always next Sunday.

BTW, I have found that the Top can Orion Chrome mods and the GM Evo motors are about the best modifieds out there. The only exception is that I've finally got my Sonic2 Reedy motors running pretty good. Have you guys found the same to be true?
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:18 AM   #557
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

I haven't bigdog-anything Trinity makes rocks. You know that. What I have found is that my Yokomo and Top based stock motors get alot hotter than my Epic based stock motors. Trinity's copper plated technology rulez!As for performance, my p2k has more torque and rpm's than my mvp and my chrome stock. After I swapped out my p2k for my mvp, I noticed a big differance in coming out of one corner-no punch. Both motors were bought new at the same time, both turned once, both are running 1to3 run competition brushes and both are geared for optimum performance. I was only a few feet behind ya bigdog-good race.

Last edited by webspinner; 10-15-2001 at 08:52 AM.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 10:47 AM   #558
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Updated the setup guide on my site today so go and check it out and see what you think. I will probably modify it a bit soon, just run out of energy for now...
Old 10-15-2001, 12:14 PM   #559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Kenneth- good stuff bro. We seems to be on the same page right now. I'll keep testing your results to see if they agree with mine. Thanks bro....
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 01:06 PM   #560
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

It's been a while, as I was busy all last week working on my race car, trying to get it ready for the weekend.

We had a pleasant weekend on the island of Gozo where the hill climb was, though the racing left a lot to be desired. i ended up watching half the 500 motorcycle Gp, half the F1 GP from Suzuka, and then capped it all by only driving half the hill climb. I'll explain.

The Motorcycle 500 GP was televised at 7am. F1 from Suzuka was televised at 7.30am. We had to be at the start for the hill climb at 8.30am. So I watched the first half hour of Phillip Island, the first half hour of Suzuka, and to explain half a hill climb, my brother's March single seater went wrong again on his first practice run, so I ended up letting him use my car for 2 of the 4 runs of the day.

To add insult to injury, my car ran horribly throughout the day, popping and banging all the way up every run.

So, not a very good weekend in terms of race results, but a super relaxing time by the pool, when we were'nt playing with race cars.

Back into RC mode this week, with the 3rd and 4th rounds of our annual championships this coming weekend. I'll be taking the Yoke down tomorrow afternoon - haven't run it for a couple of weeks.

What I saw of the GP was good. I reckon, on present form, next season will all be about Michael and Juan Pablo with the rest squabbling for the third podium position. What do you think Darkside - are you convinced yet about JPM. I really reckon he's working wonders now that he's finding his feet.

All this season he has run at circuits he doesn't know, with a team he doesn't really know, a form of racing he doesn't know, Michelin tyres that were also new to most circuits. Next year should certainly be interesting.

Whilst lazing by the pool I read through the latest issue of F1 Racing magazine - which luckily arrived in the post just before we left for Gozo. In an interview, JPM when asked if he was worried about the fact that Ralf, being German, may be favoured by BMW, replied: "No, it's no problem - I'm favoured by Frank and Patrick" Interesting that!

Kentech, have you started racing again at all. What do you think about the Mika and Kimi affair. Will Mika ever be back? He has certainly gone out like a worthy champion....and a great sportsman.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 03:46 PM   #561
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: I was up till 2:30am here in Kansas watching the race. I must admit I am getting more convinced about JPM. The second year is the key. Alot of guys have had great first years, especially at Williams. But he has shown that he is really fast. The pressure will be on next year, but if the "TEAM" doesn't up its reliability, it wont matter who drives the cars.

You were speaking about that quote of his. I think thats JPM biggest draw back, his mouth! The fans and media may love comments like that, but I bet the team doesn't. All it does is cause problems. Remember the same mouth that made that comment, is the same one that basically called Villeneuve a killer! I think the media war that Montoya is having with the Schumachers is silly. Its one that he cant win until he passes at least Ralf in wins. Passing Ralf may happen next year, but hes going to have to be good for a loooooong time to catch Michael in ANY catagory! For now though, he needs to just race and keep his mouth shut. As for how good of a rival he'll be for Schumacher, I look at it like this: as long as their still calling him 'Schumacher's' rival, you know Michael is still the best. I think that just like all the other rivals like Damon Hill, Villeneuve, Coultard and Mika, when all the smoke and mirrors are cleared, and all things are equal, Michael will still be the best. He has won a few titles with the second best car and now with the best car.

As for Ralf, eye...yie...yie...., I don't know...He seemed to have his head rapped up in the whole baby on the way and getting married thing ever since the team left him sitting on those jacks on that restart. Maybe he will be refocused next year after the baby has already arrived.

And finally, as for Montoya's comment. Considering that the BMW engine is the ONLY thing that made the team competitive this year, while it was Frank's chassis and Patrick's DIS-organization that cost the team more wins.....Which one would you rather have supporting you. Them or BMW??? I'd take BMW thank you very much

One more thing-theres the Frank Williams "theres always someone waiting in CART" and cheapness factor! Montoya is good, real good, but so was/is Villeneuve and Button. But as soon as Villeneuve wanted to get paid what he deserves, or Frank saw someone he wanted more than Button, Frank dumped them. With Montoya's ego, how long do you think he will settle for not even being on the same PLANET compared to Michael's income??? Not long I'd say. I give it two more years before Montoya is at another team, maybe taking Coultard's seat at McLaren.

It could happen

Last edited by Darkseid; 10-15-2001 at 03:52 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #562

Cool To BigDog...

The top hole on the castor block gives you a rather large difference in roll center, lowering it. So the car rolls more with it, and I thought it was the other way round Looking forward to racing the Yoke here again this weekend, will play with roll centers and let you guys know what happens, may even get a P2K2 if there are any left

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:15 PM   #563
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to melvin
Default Yokomo MR4TC Pro

Hello,

After racing for the past season with my MR4TC Pro, I think the car do not have the acceleration compared to others cars like the Kawada SV10 II or the TC3. It appears that the Yok is never as aggressive as the other cars esp the TC3.

Does anybody fell the same way ?

Melvin
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:44 PM   #564
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Melvin, You are right about the Pro not being as "aggressive" as far as exceleration is concerned. You must also realize it is two editions old, the special editon is without a doubt one of the most stable, best handling, hard excelerating TC's I've had the pleasure of owning. This comming from experiance since I started with the Pro, and instead of getting a Worlds, I went for the SP conversion instead. I highly suggest you do the same, you will be very impressed with it.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 08:54 PM   #565
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Melvin: I had no problems with acceleration when I ran my pro. And I don't think the Special will help with that. There isn't that much different in the Special drive train compared to the pro that will give you some amazing boost in acceleration.

I say check out your drive train and make sure there is nothing dragging or anything. But stick with your Pro, its a good car, and switching to a car with an almost identical drive train isn't going to improve acceleration.

Some of the fastest guys at our local track still use the Pro or the original Mr4tc and believe me acceleration and aggresive handling is not a problem for them as their crossing the finish line first!

Trust me, you've got a good car. Just set it up well and it will work for you.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:05 PM   #566

Yeah, only go for the special if you feel the car is not handling well enough, or you want to try it

I didn't notice any difference with my pro compared to the TC3's.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 06:39 AM   #567
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

johnbull: I have not run my Special for over a month now... Don't worry, I won't stop. I will soon pick it up again. Watched the MotoGP (great race!) and F1 on Sunday. The Suzuka race could have been a bit more exiting. Don't think Mika knows himself if he's coming back but if I have to say what I think...probably not. And I don't think Kimi will be able to be nowhere as good as Mika was at McLaren. That's just what I think. I'm definitely no fan of Kimi. He was good at the beginning of the year considering his lack of experience but then he stopped developing as a driver. Look at JPM who has onlt got better and better. It was easy at Sauber with no pressure but I don't think he will handle the pressure he will be up to at McLaren. We'll see...
Old 10-16-2001, 07:03 AM   #568
Tech Apprentice

guys whats d diff between the mr4tc-pro and mr4tc-pro spec? is it one and the same? thnx...
Garapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 10:26 PM   #569
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Upper brace

I'm a little confused on how tight the upper brace screws should be fastened on the Special. Should they be tight or should they float. I've seen some cars fitted with a long turnbuckle from the rear bulkhead to the upper brace with the two screws required on the brace to the motor mount left out.
Da4head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 12:59 AM   #570
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Darkside.....steady on. I'm agreeing with almost everything you say nowadays!

Very true what you say about Williams being a bit of a tight one. How about this for a scenario. JPM does his 2 years with Williams. Wins more than he looses to Michael, including a World Championship. By this time it's nearing 2004 and Michael retires.........and JPM takes the number 1 seat at Ferrari! It's a possibility, isn't it? We'll have to wait and see. The point is that by 2004 I'll be 58.....horrible thought!

Kentech - interesting comments about Mika and Kimi. To be fair Kimi's performances started tapering off as soon as he tied up the Mc Laren deal - perhaps no more motivation this season, and looking forward to the next. It could also be that Sauber are putting more effort into the driver they know they are going to keep - it's a fairly natural reaction.

The thing with Sauber, he's getting a bit like Ken Tyrell talent scouting. He seems to have discovered another good one in Felippe Massa. Time will tell.

I said on Monday that my brother and I had a bad day hill climbing last Sunday. He retired on the first run with an oil problem, and my car popped and banged all the way up every run. You won't believe all it was. A stupid 4 dollar distributor cap that was cracked and allowed the sparks to fly where and when they liked. Next Hill climb Sunday week - a real fast one this time.

But before that - we race RC this weekend. I took the Yoke down yesterday and really enjoyed it. I played about with different motors and cells - all the best from Corally of course, and was impressed with the speed and the duration.

I'm not so impressed with the Yoke 139G tyres though. They grip better than anything else, but the wear is frightening. I'll try some 138Gs which I've just received. They should last longer since they have more tread rubber. Will keep you informed.

PRO or Special. I've had both. In fact I started out with the original backbone TC, then progressed to a top plate TC, then to a PRO, then to a Worlds, and now to a special.

All along, what Yoke seem to have done was softened the car up, thus increasing the grip. The Special chassis flexes so easily, unlike the original item. The Special top plate flexes far more than the original backbone, which kept the car really rigid. I think that for guys like myself, who will never be World Champions!!!! it's probably easier to drive. But that's just a matter of opinion. HPI tried the same trick with the new Pro 3, but I'm not so sure it has worked so well since I understand they are now producing a top plate to try and get some rigidity into the chassis.

I sold the last of a second lot of 10 MR4s yesterday and await another 10. Anyone heard much about a new Yoke?

Regards,

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote