R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2001, 04:40 PM   #526

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yeah, fun is what it is all about.

Looks like I may not be racing tomorrow after all. My order from speedtech, which was supposed to arrive today, was shipped to the wrong city, and I needed alot of the stuff. Next chance I'll get to race is in 3 weeks too
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 07:41 PM   #527
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information. Well, the things I ordered from Sheldon's Hobbies arrived today. The Trinity/Panasonic 3000 mah NiMH sideXsides (I didn't know they came pre-assembled - that's good), the Novak Dually, and the Reedy Ti 10x2. My XXL fm receiver was on backorder so I don't think I'll been using the Yokomo this weekend (good thing I have my MTX-2 backup!). Since I'm still 'new' to electrics, I've decided to not use the Reedy Ti, and get a stock MVP rebuildable instead? What do you think about that. I made this decision because 1) I don't have a comm lathe yet 2) I've only got this one pack of batteries for now 3) I want >6 minutes of run-time 4) I still need to practice!
Okay, I realize the sidexsides are perfect for the MR4, but I still don't have any soldering equipment or a soldering gun - will the car take those stickpacks w/ built-in connectors as well?
I've got so many more questions that I hope you'll bear with.
- I like to run on outdoor asphalt and paved concrete surfaces. What wheels and type of shock oil should I use? I'm currently using the yellow springs, though I do also have orange ones.
- I'm gonna get the special kit ASAP. Does anyone have any problems or comments converting from the Pro to Special?

Thanks alot again. It's nice to know there's an active community of Yokomo fans helping out one another.

BTW, if anyone in the Bay Area knows of any events for electric cars let me know. I'd like to check some of them out to get myself better acquainted this type of racing.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:14 PM   #528
TK
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ryan Try out either Castle Hobbies or Sheldons. They both hold races for eletric. Also if you want some more info about racing in the bay area check out www.rcracing.com. That is where lots of locals go to and chat. You also might want to check out Speedworld out in Roseville. Very very nice facility.

TK
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:20 PM   #529
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am setting up my Special to Jason Mo's setup and have noticed his front shock length is set at 59.7mm. With that length it seems that I would have to preload the shock springs to achieve a 4.5mm front ride height, is this normal? When I lift the front end of the car it has very little droop.
Da4head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 10:28 PM   #530
TK
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Da4head There might be some pre load on the spring to get 4.5 ride height. Just make sure that they are 59.7 and that the left and right side are equal. The reason why there is ver little droop is because the way people change droop on the yokomo is by changing the lengths of the shocks. Shorter they are less droop there is. Longer more droop. I am not sure about it but I belive thats the way it. Hope this helps.

TK

Last edited by TK; 10-05-2001 at 10:32 PM.
TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 11:23 AM   #531

Da4head-If you have to pre-load the shocks too much, you shouldn't do it. I can run mine that short and achieve 5mm ride height, but I have my front at 60.2 and the back at 59.2. Check, maybe he is using the upper hole in the castor block, where the hinge pin goes through.
Old 10-07-2001, 01:04 PM   #532
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan

Hey guys,

Just bought the SP conversion kit yesterday - it's been okay so far, but now I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the servo saver components in place. It seems like the thick metal nut on the bottom that com presses the spring on the servo saver doesn't fit nicely into the space provided. Either that or I'm just not assembling it properly - hehe. One of the main things I was wondering was if there was a set of assembly instructions for the MR4 online anywhere, or if anyone had managed to scan the instruction book. I had bought it w/out any instructions whatsoever. Thanks again.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 02:49 PM   #533
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ryan-

Oinks!

Trips
Old 10-07-2001, 02:56 PM   #534
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Ryan. Regarding servo saver - you can do one of two things. Either simply screw the nut up quite a way, which will make the servo saver a bit ineffective but will give you clearance, or you may dremel off a bit of the chassis side where it makes contact, and this way you can assemble the servo saver so it works and springs correctly. I took the latter road, and have done the same on all the customer cars I have built. No complaints.

Darkside, did you watch the bikes on telly today. The championships have changed about a bit in the 125 and 250 classes, and Rossi is getting closer to his first 500 win.

I've just finished watching the Champcars from Houston. Good value again and another win for De Ferran.

I shant be doing much with the Yoke this coming week as I've got to get on with the real race car as we are racing next weekend and the engine is still in bits.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 03:28 PM   #535

I didn't have that servo saver problem with mine, but when I built my Dad's, I did. I think on mine I just used a rather large (for a shim) shim under the servo saver, as there is a bit of play in there anyway.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:59 PM   #536

Does anyone have a comprehensive tuning guide for the MR-4, or touring cars in general anywhere? Cause I thought I had stuff in order, but now I don't think I do.

Could someone explain what things like using different holes to mount the arms, laying the shocks down more, standing them up etc does?

Thanks
Josh
Old 10-07-2001, 09:23 PM   #537
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
Does anyone have a comprehensive tuning guide for the MR-4, or touring cars in general anywhere? Cause I thought I had stuff in order, but now I don't think I do.

Could someone explain what things like using different holes to mount the arms, laying the shocks down more, standing them up etc does?

Thanks
Josh
have you checked out: yokomofinland.cjb.net ??
Old 10-08-2001, 01:33 AM   #538
Tech Addict

Wink

Is it just me or has Kentech been a bit quiet recently???
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:43 AM   #539
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default More upright shock position

Hi,

I noticed that the new XXX-S has a more upright shock position.
I remember seeing that Josh Cyrul MR4 has a custom made shock towers that have more holes to make the shock more upright.
I wonder if it might help with the handling of the car and ask anyone might have a 1:1 scale picture of the shock tower. I am thinking of copying the design using a piece of fiberglass plate.

Please advise.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:30 AM   #540
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

SimonK: Yeah i have been really quiet! I check the thread almost every day but I have just been keeping a low profile now. Had other things on my mind and have not actually run my Special in about a months time now. Will pick it up again sometime soon.

johnbull: Watched the MotoGP and CART myself yesterday. The motogp races were not as good as last time but still ok. Too bad Max crashed but that's what happens when trying to run as fast as rossi when rossi's bike is superior. The yamaha's r not just up to it now. Read Max's comments at his site on: http://www.max-biaggi.com (click "sunday")