R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2001, 09:06 PM   #511
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Remember, Jimmy Spencer never forgets! Though I bet he'd have a hard time remembering what the buttons on the steering wheel do, among other things

I think most people here in the States recognize the abilities of F1 drivers. The phrase, "<something> is the Formula 1 of <something>" is actually quite common, at least in the circles I travel. Anybody who knows anything about racing understands that F1 drivers are the best of the best...
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:26 PM   #512
Tech Addict

It was Murray Walkers last race.
He won't be going to Japan in a fortnight. I guess I'll miss the excitement whenever he see's Jensen Button's race position....And Martin Brundle correcting him now and then.
Hope ITV puts out a highlights package of Murray Classics
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 01:41 AM   #513
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Simon K. I'm sure someone will publish a Murray Walker video. It will certainly be good value.

My mother in law recorded a BBC programme.....I think it was BBC....and yes my mum in law is not the proverbial dragon, called 40 years of GP racing. This was 10 years ago. It was a Murray Walker job and it was really great. I'm sure there will be a repeat.

Darkside, sorry to hear about your dismal coverage. We are actually very lucky here. We have a choice of 2 stations covering the GP, one an Italian station with an ex F1 driver....Cappelli commentating together with other intelligent and knowledgeable folk on the panel, the other a Maltese station with a commentary in Maltese. Since I talk both languages I switch between the two though I must admit I spend more time on the Italian....except for the interviews which I prefer to hear in English....on the Malta station. Bit complicated?

Your comments about Michael. You know I have a hunch he's got retirement buzzing through his mind. He could do a Mika if he wins in Japan.

Haven't touched the RC cars this week. Working on the racing car instead.

Hope to attend a big Drag racing meeting...as a spectator or helper, this coming weekend. Apparently the cream of European drag racing will be here for a race meeting Saturday and Sunday. We have two local guys who are well in the 5 second quarters. in fact one of them won the last round of the Euro championship and finished 2nd in the championship, so as you can imagine drag racing is pretty hot out here.

I'm not really into it much but I'll go to this meeting.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 10:53 AM   #514
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: you guys are definitely overthere. For years over here, it was a matter of who has F1 coverage this year. Speedvision is by far the best coverage F1 has gotten here. To bad they didn't get to do the live coverage of the race here.

I hope your wrong about the retirement thoughts. He definitely doesn't have anything left to prove, but why stop now if your still enjoying it?

In any event, that coverage didn't do anything to help F1 in the states.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:12 AM   #515
Tech Master

Hi guys.

A bit knackered from spending an afternoon cleaning the block and the gearbox of the race car.

I've not finished yet for the day though (7.10pm). I've got to build a TC3 for a customer this evening. I'll take it home and do it there.

Darkside. Plenty of people seem to be talking about the rumoured retirement of Schumi. In fact he just come up with a counter statement in Formula 1 . com. Do you log into that at all?

I'll just have a look at our Malta Racers site on rctech now and pack up for home.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:30 AM   #516
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I meant to say "you all are definitely lucky over there."

Yeah, I vist that site everyday. I saw the denial. I just hope his denial is more truthful than Mika's!
Old 10-02-2001, 11:53 AM   #517
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

does anyone ever talk about Yokomos here anymore? (hehe)

j/k guys....

I have a question: I'm running Mo's setup, basically, on my SP and I can't get the mid-turn and exiting push out of the car. It seems to be the same no matter what tires I run given that some have more traction than others. The only main difference is I'm running stainless steel springs X 4 and up front I have the hub carrier hinge pin in the bottom hole of the hub carrier. Could that be the prob? Oh yea, I only run a silver lower swaybar in the front and shock length is 62/60.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 12:23 PM   #518

BigDog, are your running on carpet? I had the same problem as you when I first ran the car. I fixed it by using a yellow spring in the front and orange in the rear. I know it sound wierd, but it works!

And yeah, I think we should try to keep the majority of talk here about rc If you guys want, you could always start a thread about F1 in the chat lounge.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 08:33 PM   #519
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Arrow

Hey Everyone,

Just decided to try my hand out at electric TCs. I started off w/ a Nitro RS4, and now have a Mugen MTX-2 Pro Spec. I wanted to try electric because I live in an area that's fairly noise sensitive. Go figure. So I got a REALLY good deal on a Yokomo MR4-TC PRO. I don't know much about electrics at all so I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I decided to go with a Novak XXL receiver for my JR XR3, a Novak Dually (I'm gonna get a Cyclone TC2 a couple paychecks from now), a Reedy Ti 10 turn double, Airtronics high speed servo, and Trinity Panasonic 3000 side by sides. What do you think of this setup? I plan on mostly racing outdoors on asphalt or treated concrete. Also, I don't know ANYTHING about batteries or motors and how to maintain them. Can you all reccommend a site about how to charge/discharge batteries, maintain motor brushes and comms and stuff? What type of charger do you reccommend? With everything I've gotten so far I don't think I can shell out too much for a charger. I'm thinking of getting this IntelliPeak one that my LHS carries. Any help on basic maintenance of electrics is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

--
Oh also, what are your thoughts on the Special conversion kit? I've heard some good, some bad things.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 09:34 PM   #520
Tech Elite

Ryan,
Get the SP conversion kit. Go to www.team-orion.com for motor and battery maintenance suggestions. Buy your race batteries from Pro-Match Batteries. I have an early version Millenium I'll sell you for $75 plus shipping and I have a bullet proof 15amp power supply for $50 plus shipping. I'm gonna put that stuff on ebay in the next day or two, but if you want it, LMK. Run Sorex tires and HPI green or red inserts on Yok or Sorex wheels. Use Jason Moberly's setup to start off from rcracing.com. Run stock to begin with- the batteries, motors and maintenance is cheaper and you'll learn more about driving and tuning than you will in mod. Mod is fun, and faster on a big track, but you start to depend on speed instead of skill.

Hope this helps....
Old 10-04-2001, 06:02 AM   #521
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Ryan
Not sure, but I dont think a Novak Dually esc can handle the current draw of a 10 double. Moreover, a 10 double motor is one serious piece of kit, think 3~5 runs (as in battery packs) before REBUILD, true the comm and change brushes : P
And coming from nitro to electric myself ( from Kyosho Superten to Yok MR4 World), man, electric are FAST, even with a 27 turn stocker, a 10 double can really fly, may be a bit of a handful to control
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 05:46 PM   #522

Yeah, upgrade your ESC first...Then you'll need a decent charger, then buy a comm lathe, that is what you need to take care of your motors. Plan on cutting the comm on your 10 turn after no more than 4 runs, I wouldn't go more than 6 with a stock. After you have all that, you may want to try the special conversion, it will make the pro feel easier to drive and it will make the car faster. pro match's site also has some good battery tips, oh, and you can get the special conversion for 85 bucks from www.speedtechrc.com

BigDog- Thanks for your email, but looks like I won't be getting an MVP My Dad won't let me buy one, don't know why Especially since my motors right now are turning crap numbers on the dyno, and they are OLD! Oh well, he is gonna buy me an P2K2, so I can spend my money on something else, but STILL
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 09:58 PM   #523
Tech Addict

Wink

I'll be running mine again this week as long as the weather holds out. I made a brush profiling device last night. Seems I get inspired while watching the late news.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 01:42 AM   #524
Tech Master

Ryan. You have had a fair bit of good advice already, so there isn't much more I can tell you.

I have run an MR4 from the day it was announced, and have upgraded it accordingly. It is now up to the latest Special spec.

I agree with the suggestion that you start off with a stock motor, especially considering you are running the Dually, which, don't get me wrong, is an excellent speedo....I run one on my Pro 10.

As for charging I have run Milleniums for the last 3 or so years without any bother and have now got a couple of the new latest versions. They are fairly bullit proof, as are Novak speedos. As I am constantly looking after customer cars as well as my own, my chargers get very little time off, yet they have proved to be totally reliable. I can tell you I'll be sticking with reliable Novak electronics made in the USA for a while.

I have run 11, 10 and 9 turn motors on my special, but I have to say I feel happier running a Corally 12 x 2 than any other....and I get just as good lap times. At last Sunday's meeting I ran a Corally 12 x 2. The car was easily faster in a straight line than those of guys using 11s and 10s. Note I say in a straight line, for round the corners some of the youngsters blow me off - not because there's anything wrong with the car, but because at the age of 55 my reflexes tend to be somewhat slower than most.

But I still enjoy it, and that's what counts.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 10-05-2001, 06:33 AM   #525
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
But I still enjoy it, and that's what counts.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Bravo- well said. We shold all remember that a little more.

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 10-05-2001 at 08:38 AM.