R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2001, 10:08 PM   #466

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Cool

If you have a dusty track, then yes, a sealed drivetrain might be best. It will not be as competitive as an MR-4 TC special though. You can get the sealed for a cheaper price, less work but worse handling or the special for more $$$, more work and better performance.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:08 AM   #467
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Original seal drivetrain MR4-TC

Hi Speedo,

Is there any specific reason why the sealed drivetrain has worse
handling ? Curious to know.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 12:23 AM   #468
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think for the pro versions and beyond, the distance between the 2 diffs have been put closer together, which results in a looser drive train. I think....
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 01:05 AM   #469
Tech Addict

Wink

If you buy the updated rear bulkhead that is the part that was changed slightly to alter the belt tension, other than the obvious stuff of course. It has an extra hole to bolt to the optional motor mount/ lower heat sink assembly.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:52 AM   #470
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
I recently gave my Pro to my younger brother to race. Saturday, was his first opportunity to drive it. Since he's just starting out, I spent a lot of time adjusting the suspension and radio out on the track between heats. To tell you the truth, I don't miss the Pro at all. The Pro still feels good, but when driving the Special I'm faster. I find the Special very easy to drive. I wouldn't go back to driving the Pro.

As a side note, After racing Yokomo for the past 5 years, I'm leaning towards buying a XXX-S or possibly the upcoming Schumacher Mission. Locally, the indoor carpet season has begun. Although, I prefer 1/12th scale racing on carpet, the turnout for that class is low, and touring cars is really where my heart is.

I'm not dumping my Yokomo Special, I just want to try something different, and I'm ready for something new. I'm sure that Yokomo will have a new or upgraded kit by Spring (possibly based on the prototype 4WD off-road car), and I will probably buy one but for now...
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 07:22 AM   #471
Tech Champion

Any good setup tips for the MR4 TC Special (on foam)

Springs?
Oil?
Tyre compounds?
Sway bars?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2001, 08:07 AM   #472

It's not just the driveline on the MR-4 TC Pro/Worlds/Special that is better, it is the suspension geometry too.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:38 AM   #473
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi,

I thought that the shock tower for all the MR4-TC are the same, like wise for the bulkhead for front and rear. So, I don't quite understand when you mentioned that the suspension geometry are different.

Please enlighten. Many thanks for advise.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 08:45 AM   #474
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

ongbenghui,
you are totally correct, the suspension geometry is the same on all MR4's.
The only change that has been made were the worlds rear arms with the adjustable wheelbase.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 11:46 AM   #475
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: Insiteful input as usual. It seems that you might be on t something there. In any case it seems that Yokomo has made the right decision by letting the drivers pick which car they want to run.....just a little too late to keep Baker.

Johnbull: Any thoughts on the who will win at Indy? I'll go out on a limb and say Rubens will pull out the win. Why? Heck I don't know!
Old 09-26-2001, 01:36 PM   #476
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Black-Knight, check out www.yokomousa.com Their forum is pretty good for answering questions, and it has some good set up info as well.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:30 PM   #477
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darkside
[B]In any case it seems that Yokomo has made the right decision by letting the drivers pick which car they want to run.....just a little too late to keep Baker.

From what I've seen, when a top level racer switches teams it's about money, not the car they're driving.

Trips
Old 09-26-2001, 05:42 PM   #478

Yeah, that could be it too Trips.

Well, you're right, the geometry is the same. I chose the wrong wording, what I meant is that the suspension has added parts such as roll bars, threaded shocks etc.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:58 PM   #479
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trips: yeah, that is usually the case. But that usually applies when a driver leaves a smaller team for a bigger one. But, this is a driver leaving a large team for another large team. Also the switch usually takes place after the driver gets a big win. In this case Baker hasn't won anything since the switch to the Special. Then theres the fact that none of the team drivers have been happy with the car since it was forced on them by the team. Then theres the final point. Yokomo will let the drivers use which car they want. If Baker just left for money, why would they make that change? Other than to keep the rest of the people they still have.

I'm not saying what you said is not correct, but it seems that for once the switch may actually be because the driver wanted a car they feel is better. Kind of like when all the Losi drivers abandoned the StreetWeapon. No one could pay them more than Losi, but the left anyway. Remember?

I think Johnbull has a good point. All the people here seemed happy with the SP. once the delt with the differences between the old car and new car. So maybe its better suited to us mortals.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:08 PM   #480
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Ok, here's my take on forgiving cars:

I have been running MR4's since they were first released.
It took me quite a while to get comfortable with the car, but since then I love it and it handles very inspiring. The most important thing to me is that the car reacts very clear and very predictable to setup changes.
Over the last 3 years I tried many of the cars that came new on the market.

1.) TC3: A great car, right out of the box, very forgiving to drive with the stock setup, but about 0.5 seconds slower than my Yok.
I worked a lot on the setup of this car, tried about everything you can and found a bit of speed, but once I came to a certain point, I couldn't improve it anymore I also found that the Tc3 sometimes seems to not react at all to minor setup changes which make quite a difference with the Yok. The drivetrain is certainly one of the best, the car just became boring. -->> backup car --->> sold

2.) After a Kawada and a Corally I recently bought an XXX-S

Nice car. In some way it it feels very similar to the TC3. VERY easy to drive with the stock setup, just not as fast as my Yokomo.
Now, I don't have a one-way for it yet and I need more track time with it, but it does not feel like it will have the same edge than the MR4.

I think both cars, XXX-S and TC3 are very much designed to please beginners, which is a good thing. I just feel the Yokomo is the truer racer of the three.

As I said in another post, I have not driven the special, but I could imagine that it might be the same tham the TC3 and the XXX-S, easy to drive, but not that fast.

Just my $0.02
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote