R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-17-2001, 05:23 PM   #391

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

johnbull-yes, I know. The only way the wheel can remain 90 degrees to the surface is if the camber link and arm are exactly the same lenth. Of course, other factors, such as slop also contribute. Here, though, I am not talking about camber. I am talking about roll center, as I believe changing the mounting points for the (lower) arm on the bulkhead and castor/rear toe blocks affects roll center, either lowering or raising it. As you probably know, the CG is higher than the roll center, so lowering the roll center yields more roll, and raising it yields less roll. Moving the camber link/upper arm up or down also changes roll center, but I'm talking about the lower arm. I think a longer camber link yields less change in camber?

Dave, I have two mounting holes on the bulkhead for the arm in the front, but I only have one in the back. I used to have two, but broke the piece, and the replacement ones only had one hole. Yokomo must make two kinds!

Nice car pics adam, can we see a view of the whole car?

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 08:35 PM   #392
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

here's a pic of my Yokomo body.....

Last edited by BigDogRacing; 06-19-2007 at 12:26 AM.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 09:32 PM   #393

wheeeeeew! That is awesome!
Old 09-17-2001, 10:21 PM   #394
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

BigDog does some sweet bodies...

one happy customer
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2001, 11:47 PM   #395
Tech Addict

MR4-Malta,
Heres a pic of my car showing the location of the rear torque rod.
It's a 55mm Lunsford unit with Losi ball ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamiltonsimon3a.jpg (57.7 KB, 92 views)
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 12:18 AM   #396
Regional Moderator

simonk,
do you think your way is better?........i think so but i dont have a drill.....and i couldnt find a tie rod long enough.... people are using a tie rod from the losi SW the steering one i think??.......
josh, thanks ill get some pics when i clean the car up....its a bit dirty and full of old stuff (tire/esc stuff like that)...
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 07:00 AM   #397
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Disaster999
i want to know if the handling of the MR4-TC SP is any different then the regular MR4-TC?
Good question and I would like to know too as I only have the SP.

But it seems people in here does not know how to asnwer question completely or they just pretend that they know but they dont.

What I'm saying: whatever your answer is, always follow by WHY or HOW?

Does anyone agree?

Sorry if it is anoying, it just how I felt

Best Regards
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 08:02 AM   #398
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: has your friend made it back home yet? I know getting in and out of our country right now is kind difficult.

I'm not underestimating him. But, as you know they make a lot of money running the FIA. How much do they stand to lose if they strip a Ferrari driver of his title? I think its safe to say that there are more Ferrari fans per event than any other team. Imagine all those Ferrari fans and flags just GONE! You know they love Ferrari and I seriously doubt they would keep paying the seriously high prices for tickets if they think Ferrari is being cheated by the FIA. Personally, if he doesn't want to race I say he shows up starts and drives his car off the track with "computer" problems, then head home.

I just don't think its safe to make someone drive when they are not up to it. This is no different than when the Prost team told Burti to keep going after the restart in the race after he ran over the back of Schumacher's car a few races ago. His leg and arm were hurt, but they told him to keep going and he eventually went spinning off the track before he could finish. This is no different. If someone says they can't go, then they can't go. Period!

On an R/C note.....over on the Corally thread we have dabbled in the same "droop" discussion you guys have had here before. Just as when you guys had the discussion, I'm not sure who is right. "More droop, less droop, no droop" who knows whos right. I know I run no droop at the front of my Schumacher '99pro and very, very little in the rear, and the car handles excellent. Unlike Johnbull's track though, ours is very smooth with few imperfection. Certainly not enough to change setup because of them. On the other hand when I ran my Yokomo and now my C4.1, I do have a little droop at the front and about average at the rear. Yet those cars handle excellent as well. So I'm not sure if there is a "right" answer on the droop issue.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:59 AM   #399
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: well after a visit to Fourmula1.com I see M. Schumacher has decided to race. Personally, I don't see what the drivers have to be afraid of. Things are just as safe in this country as they always were. In other words, things never were that safe to begin with! But, the idea of being "totally" safe is a joke to begin with. So why drive yourself crazy worrying about things you really have no controll over.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:22 AM   #400
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Pyramid - we have talked about the differences between the 2 layouts of the car in this thread. And I'm pretty sure that people have mentioned what they have found to be different. I will reitterate what I have said.

There are 2 or 3 major differences between the SP Chassis, and the Worlds Style (Standard) chassis. The first is the change in the lower CG and narrow weight distribution. This changes the amount of chassis roll and weight transition of the car. You will notice this if you try to spring and dampen the car like the previous car. The car needs to be sprung softer with thinner oil in the shocks to encourage more suspension activity for traction. The use of swaybars becomes more prevailant on the SP in many cases. You will also notice that changing camber link positions has a more dramatic impact on the car's handling than it did before.

Also, the upperdeck mounting and chassis flex have impacted the cars performance as well. I think the location of where the flex takes place may have moved some. You may notice the effects of this being a quicker initial reaction to steering and a less agressive mid-corner and corner-exit from the previous car.

Add all of this to the fact that the weight of the chassis and its material thickness has been reduced greatly. This is difficult to pinpoint the effect other than to lump it in with the narrower and lower CG of the car.

If you use the newer rear A-Arms, the wheelbase of the SP has been lengthened. Even when set to the shorter wheelbase setting, it is slightly longer than using the previous rear arms. This tends to put more weight on the front wheels and should provide more stability at the price of less mobility. That's my take on the SP so far.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 03:25 PM   #401
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

btw, I don't mean for that last post to point to negative characteristics, just the differences. I am very impressed with the SP and how it drives and these are some of the variances that I have experienced. I've been using the newer rear A-arms and i like the added wheelbase, at least I am experimenting with it. I have not had any negative effects by using it.

I still have not carved up my upper deck because I like the way the car is driving right now with it intact. Many of those things that I have found came from experiments using the same setup ideas of the previous chassis. For example, when I stated that the car has more intial steering and less agressive mid-corner and corner-exiting steering. Its just a change of balance. You can achieve very good conering in all 3 of these areas but the nature of the car changed slightly IMHO.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 06:00 PM   #402

Yes, I think dave is right...Even with softer springs and oil, my car had a major push...I believe that could be because the track had little traction when I ran on it, so when I start racing again it may be different. But when I ran it, I had yellow on the front and orange in the back to dial out the push.

The main difference is the chassis. It also has the aluminum battery strap which the older cars didn't have. If you have the special kit, you got the new "super low friction" belts. Also has a new bulkhead, and new center one-way, this means the belts run down the absolute center of the chassis.

Nex time, be more cautious about accusing people of "pretending to know" Almost all of the people on here are very knowlegable people, and will help if they know how.

Josh
Old 09-19-2001, 12:15 AM   #403
Regional Moderator

Here's my MR-4TC SP :
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 01:04 AM   #404
Regional Moderator

nice car............can i say Capacitor central...lol..
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 01:22 AM   #405
Tech Addict

Wink

Very Nice and orderly Daniz.

MR4-Malta, I haven't tried any other mount for the torque rod. It works well this way, as I can see the front belt loosen and tighten depending on which way the rod is adjusted. As long as you can adjust the belt tension, it probably doesn't matter which way you do it.
I used a 55mm long Lunsford Turnbuckle, I also have heard of peeps using the long one from the losi kit. A friend of mine used the long Tie rod and short Tamiya ballends, they don't thread onto the rod as far as the losi ones I used.
The Losi ones are quite long and the completed torque rod assembly is long
enough without the risk of the whole thing being torn apart, plenty of scope for adjustment too. The whole torque rod measures 94mm in length, end to end.

Can anyone tell me why the Peak/Orion Stock motors are not on the ROAR approved stock motor list? This is important as I fear someone here will make an example of a loophole in the new stock motor rules in NZ. I have E-mailed PEAK to find out whats going on....
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote