R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2001, 03:11 PM   #361
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dave, when you said you bent your own sway bar, what did you make it out of? I won't be able to race in awhile, but went testing Friday night. I think I got the setup much closer now. With a little luck, I'll be running up front again, like I did over the summer.
JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 05:49 PM   #362

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Jeff, did you get my email explaining roll centers?

Here is what I wrote, I was wondering if anybody here has anything to add, or if I am correct for that matter.

OK, lets start by looking at using the upper hole when mounting the arm to the bulkhead/chassis (either end). Using the upper hole will raise the roll center. Using the lower hole will lower the roll center. The center of gravity is always higher than the roll center, so raising the roll center closer to the center of gravity will cause less roll, so more responsive. On the hubs, using a higher hole will lower the roll center, away from the CG. This will cause the car to roll more, so I think it will feel smoother.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 06:12 PM   #363
Tech Addict

Thanks, I knew what rollcenter is, and what it does. I just wasn't sure what way to move a part, to make the change I wanted. Could have learned through trial & error, which I still have to do, but this will give me an idea.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:11 PM   #364

Well, you just have to know how to find it, and you can tell what to do.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:11 AM   #365
Tech Master

Hi guys and greetings from Malta.

Just recovering from another late night sat in front of the telly watching the mess those lunatics made in New York. I hope they get their just desserts!

Darkside.....steady on....we're agreeing too much these days. I'll have to try being more controversial again. What do you think to Monza this Sunday. I loved one of the articles I read in this morning's paper, announcing that 2 new drivers would be making their debut at Monza this weekend, but that nobody would probably notice as everybody would be too busy waving red flags.Fair comment I suppose!

Do you think Williams can pull it off this time........I don't mean Ralf's car off the jacks!!!!

Went down to the track with a 12 double motor instead of the 11 double I have been using, but didn't even manage one run since I spent so much time helping others.

Son Josh is getting a bit excited about it all again - thank goodness, so I am spending alot of time playing with his car, as well as attending to all the customer cars, making up cells, preparing motors, etc, with the start of the season so close.

Josh tried some HPI tyres yesterday - 27R but found they had too much bite even with fairly hard moulded inserts - a bit like the difference between Pits D25 and D30. He prefers the feel of the harder Pits on our very grippy track. I'll try those HPIs myself this evening, if I get a chance.

Dave I agree with you entirely about the changes with the Special chassis. It likes to run so much softer, and it doesn't seem to tweek so much. Are these your observations too? Certainly my times came down since changing to the Special - probably because I find it so much easier to drive.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 10:27 AM   #366
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default MR4 Worlds info?

Hi, I just traded a guy for a MR4 Worlds car that I should receive next week, and I was curious about any info that I can get on it. My local track is mostly TC3s ( My other car) and I have never seen a Yok race. We run on a concrete track, so any set up hints would be great, also, what spare parts should I get for it? What is special about the worlds car? Thanks.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:21 PM   #367
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default Sway Bars, etc, all that good stuff

JeffC - About making your front swaybar (or any other swaybar for that matter). If you go down to your local semi-well-stocked hobby shop (especially one with planes), you should very easily be able to find what people have knick named "Piano Wire" in various sizes. It basically a piece of rod-stock steel wire that is in like a 2 or 3 foot long piece. Typically is should be under $1.00. Dubro is one company that has alot of the misc nuts, bolts, screws, etc, and they have it in that section of your LHS. If you already have an existing swaybar of a different thickness that fits your car, that makes things quite a bit easier for bending your own. If you do not, then you need to go back and forth between your car and the rod and "design" a bar that will fit and work properly. I'll assume that you have or can borrow a Standard MR4TC front swaybar (thickness doesn't matter at all). After you've gone and picked up your 0.081" (or whatever size you want) piano wire. Take for example, two decent pliers, put a single bend in your piano wire to match the angle of the bend in the existing sway bar on one side. Here's the tricky part. Now compare your work in progress to the existing bar and get that bend so it matches. Use like a marker or pen or something so that you can mark the postion of the second bend that you need to put in the bar. Now make the 2nd bend as close to matching the angle as well. But this is what is important. Cut the ends so the length is about the same as the original bar. Take the bar you have made and lay it on a flat surface (like a piece of glass, a tweak board, or something like that). Now see if ANY portion of your bar is in the air or if the bar "rocks" at all. You'll need to tweak the bends with your pliers so that the bar lays PERFECTLY Flat on that surface. Once it lays flat, and the angles match, you are good to go. If there is a "tweak" in the bar, so to will your car now have a tweak in it.

But there's one more thing you have to consider. A 0.081" swaybar will not fit into the holes of the nice blue Yokomo swaybar ballstuds that came with your car. The holes the bar is supposed to go through are now too small. I have found that the aluminum colored swaybar studs that come with the Yok GT-4 work perfectly. If you can get those, use them. If not, try checking out either Losi,HPI, or AE's various swaybar studs as they should have some that will fit a bar that size.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:31 PM   #368
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: I'm just glad that F1 is still going to race this weekend. If you didn't know already, they have canceled every major sport and tv show in this country till Monday! They claim its to take time to be respectful to the victims, but I feel its more of not wanting to be the first sport or show to start back up, and thus being the target of media criticism. Its sad that even in the middle of a national tragedy, people are still trying to be polictically correct. People need something else to do other than looking at constant sad pictures and scenes. But, the people in charge think we need to spend the next three days looking at nothing but pictures of utter destruction. Thats whats best for us all right now.

Luckily our local tracks will also be racing, to give some of us something to get our minds off whats been going on over here.

I don't know whats going to happen in Monza. I think its up in the air. I still think JPM needs to win or place high at one of the remaining races to keep his job secure. Ferrari, Williams and McLaren are after Raikkonen for their teams, and you know how willing Frank is to get rid of people, so JPM needs to show something to the world. Something other than his finger pointing to other people saying its their fault, not his!

Last edited by Darkseid; 09-14-2001 at 02:01 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:33 PM   #369
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default johnbull - I sure am wordy..lol

I do agree that the car needs to be run softer. I did not have many problems with my World's car really tweaking. Nor have I had problems with the SP tweaking. However, because there are less screws connecting the upperdeck to the SP Chassis and no center support, I have been monitoring my SP more than I did my World's because if one of the front 4 upper deck mounting screws became loose, chassis tweak will most likely occur. And of course if you run a softer suspension on your car, typically you wouldn't notice tweak quite as much as a stiffer car.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:55 PM   #370
Regional Moderator

Johnbull:WOW!!! I guess I should have visited Formula1.com before I posted that last remark.

It seems that Hakkinen is stepping aside for Raikkonen to join the McLaren team! Their driver line up for next year will be Coultard, Raikkonen, and Wurz as the test driver. He is supposedly "taking a break from racing"! Well, since I'm a fan of Raikkonen then I guess I can't cheer agaist McLaren anymore. Next year will be good!
Old 09-14-2001, 01:56 PM   #371
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default Dave K.

Any luck on a carpet set up yet? I am going to test the GT4 springs out Sunday.

Thanks,
Rob
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 04:39 PM   #372
Tech Addict

Dave, just so you know, I'm Jeff Choban. I raced at TCHR most of last summer on Thursday nights. I race a Hobby Stock at Raceway Park (BIG racecar), and now between that and school, I haven't had time to actually race the R/C stuff, only practice. I think the last time I raced, was the night you came "out of retirement." I asked you to take my car for a couple laps (blue, orange, and yellow Mondeo body) because I was slow, but couldn't really tell what the car was doing wrong.

If I decide a thicker swaybar might help, I'll check out Hobby Warehouse, and Hub Hobby for the stuff. I'm sure one will have it.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:59 PM   #373

Thought I'de better bring this back up to the top...I didn't really get any replies to my last post, about roll centers...I think I've got it right, but just want to make sure...How is this?

Quote:
OK, lets start by looking at using the upper hole when mounting the arm to the bulkhead/chassis (either end). Using the upper hole will raise the roll center. Using the lower hole will lower the roll center. The center of gravity is always higher than the roll center, so raising the roll center closer to the center of gravity will cause less roll, so more responsive. On the hubs, using a higher hole will lower the roll center, away from the CG. This will cause the car to roll more, so I think it will feel smoother.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:41 AM   #374
Regional Moderator

Default this thread is dead...

ive been trien out the new rear arms (long) where do you mount the shock on the arms? (which hole?)....ive tried the top outer hole.....is it the one to use?......ive also put a tie-rod from the bulk head to the top-plate....the belt is much looser..should be better since im running mod now...Altough im not doin that well with the car latley.....i can not find the perfect set-up..but hopefully i solved the prob!

Last edited by mr4-malta; 09-17-2001 at 12:36 AM.
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 08:23 AM   #375
Regional Moderator

mr4-malta: Its not just this thread, its the whole board. Its been this way since Tuesday's events. I assume it will get back to usual around here in the coming weeks.

Well JPM finally got his first F1 win! Believe it or not I am actually happy for him. Simply because it was a good race with plenty of passing and he won it cleanly with no retirements that handed him the win. He stayed clean and made few mistakes and the reliability was there for him this time.

Its sad though that Eccelstone had to threaten to swipe M.Schumachers title for this year if he kept trying to convince people not to race here in the U.S. in two weeks. Even though hes my favorite driver, I do not agree with M.Schumacher, I think the race should go on as planned because we all need to keep going, but I don't think he should have his title threatened by some spineless wimp whos only concern is how much money he can rake in! To me it kind of cheapens the title to know that so many people work hard to help the driver win it, but Eccelstone can just penalize the winner enough points to turn an already decided championship into a debacle. Do I believe he would actually do it? NO! It would be a public relations nightmare for him. But he should never have made the threat in the first place!

As for R/C racing, none for me this weekend. It rained both Sat. and now Sun. So theres nothing left to do but to sit back and watch..football, no.....ummmm baseball, no.......ummm, I guess its GranTourismo3 time. In any case, I hope you guys have a good racing weekend. This is definitely the time when we all need a hobby to keep us busy.

Last edited by Darkseid; 09-16-2001 at 08:27 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote