R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2001, 11:29 PM   #286
Tech Adept

Darkside, Dave: sorry I didn't make it clear. I was mainly talking about the 138G and 139Gs and I run mod. I race on asphalt. What I feel is the performance difference of new and old Gs' are quite noticeable. And generally they can perform at their best in the first few packs. Contrary to Dave, I feel that the performance of Sorex tires are more consistent over their lives.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:44 PM   #287
Tech Addict

Wink

Sch. Mission
The battery placement is similar but the motor location is interesting, it seems a lot further forward than an SP. The dangly bits all look like the SST/Axis ones.
I have friends who run Schumachers all the time, they're gonna love this

Here's a thought,
Previous major manufacturers cars with saddle pack chassis' that now have stick packs lengthwise... Is it the new trend?
Losi...S.W to XXX-S
Atlas...YM-34 to the new one(YM-??)
Schumacher...Axis to Mission
Kyosho...TF 3, 4 to KX-One(it's not outboard, but still lengthwise)

Yokomo and Associated... been there done that...

It will be interesting to see if Corally try it as they have released kits with different chassis options before. Would X-Ray be far behind?(or in front even)

JohnBull.....whats this you say about JPM's wheel buttons being set up wrong?? It's not true is it?
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 11:46 PM   #288
Tech Addict

Darkside...What exactly is your avatar????....It's pretty cool I must admit.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 02:19 AM   #289
Tech Master

Hi guys and greetings from Malta.

Simon K. From the way I read it what happened to JPM goes like this. It's roughly the same thing that has been happening to the McLarens....and others.

When you switch the engine off - at Spa this was after Frentzen called to abort the start, a number of items in the programme are scratched. To get the whole thing going again you need to install a number of parameters - the amount of traction control, pit speed, revs at take off - a thousand and one things.

Now if one of them is installed incorrectly, whereas your computer will just show ERROR, the car cannot do this, so as a failsafe device it just cuts the engine. Someone programmed something wrong on JPM's car for the second start, so when it got to that state it just shut everything off. Remember Coulthard at Monaco, Hakkinen in Spain I think!
Mars, Dave, thanks for info on Yoke tyres. I certainly intend trying them. I suppose if Pits work so well on our track then these should too.

I've seen the Schumacher Mission publicity bumf from Schumacher. As their importer I got it in their newsletter yesterday. It certainly looks interesting and has a very interesting spec. I agree though that the Yoke could do with being more adjustable - but remember the MR4 was originally designed to be a toy. It just so happened that it proved to be an extremely successful toy.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:07 AM   #290
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Guys,
I just got word that Barry Baker has left Yokomo.
Can anybody confirm this?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:24 AM   #291
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Simon K: First your point is well taken about the length wise battery. You want to see something funny to support your thought? Go to the Xray thread, go down a little and you will see someones post with a lot links in it that show new hop up parts for the Xray. Well one of those links is to a new chassis that......you guessed it.....has the batteries length wise on the chassis! Actually you could consider the Corally cells length wise if you really look at it. Yes, the cells are on different sides of the chassis, but going front to back the cells are spread all the way across the length of the chassis. So I guess the designers are seeing the advantages to this. I really don't care where the put the battery on the cars as long as its well balanced.

My avatar???...well you must not be a videogame fan. Because everyone who has played Playstation or Playstation2 knows my icecream truck driving buddy over there as "SweetTooth". Really though, he is a character from some Playstation/Playstation2 games, the most recent one, being the source of that picture, is called TwistedMetal:Black. He is a baaaaad boy! In that picture he actually has a knife behind his back waiting for you to get just a little bit closer!
Old 09-07-2001, 07:31 AM   #292
Regional Moderator

Simon K: Although I said I don't care where the companies place the batteries, I do think the center line placement is best.

Why???

Well with todays electronics getting lighter and lighter, its going to be harder and harder to evenly off set the weight of the battery being on one side. You will have to turn to adding weight to the electronics side, and most people can't do this accurately. Right now I think Kyosho has hit the mark right on the dot with their chassis layout. But, my god, that price for the car!
Old 09-07-2001, 11:13 AM   #293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Smile BMW M3 Coupe

Have any of you guys seen the photos of the new Protoform M3 Coupe? Looks really nice, I hope that it has good handling characteristics. I'm willing to put almost any body on my Yokomo as long as its not a Stratus.

Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:02 PM   #294
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

stefan: cannot confirm it but I've heard the same....
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:06 PM   #295
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hopping special

Does anyone have problem with front end hop on acceleration with the one way set up on the Special. This problem is especially noticeable on high traction asphalt. I have tried black grease on the front one diff joints and it seemed to have helped but still hops, any suggestions.
Da4head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:15 PM   #296
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Da4head: What setup r u running? A stiff front end could cause those problems. Check that the driveshafts are not excessively worn.
kentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 12:47 PM   #297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Da4head: I recently fixed a similar problem with my special, however, it only happened when the wheels were turned. One of my front universals had worn and developed excessive slop at the axle. The slop was causing some binding making the wheels bounce.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 03:15 PM   #298
Tech Master

Hi guys and greetings from Malta.

BARRY BAKER> Yes I heard it a couple of weeks ago, and what's more I heard he has gone to Associated. Can anyone confirm?

I went down to the track this evening, but surprise surprise son Josh decided to come along too. He pulled his TC3 out of the cupboard, brushed it down and that's it. He hasn't driven an RC car for months and he was on the pace straight away.

Now if some of his friends can persuade him to race the season that would be great, though it would mean that my own driving would take second place.

Kentech, good to see you back with the old crowd. You know I occasionally read through other sites, and it's refreshing to get back to this one. People talk sense in this one for a change.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:11 PM   #299
Regional Moderator

If it is true, I must say I am saddened to hear that Baker is leaving. He has been with Yokomo for a long time. I'm still a Yokomo fan, so it bothers me to hear of him leaving, especially to a place like Associated or Losi. Thats like leaving to go to the Yankees. Its just too easy of a choice for an easy win.

As I said back on the old rctouring.com board, the team's wins have slowed from a constant flow to a trickle since the switch to the special. Some of you felt at the time that it was just a matter of more competition from other companies. I could understand that, but when they were running the Pro/World's version, it didn't matter who or what the competition had, Yokomo won, period! What major win has Yokomo had since their team went to running the special???

I can totally understand what your saying about there just being more good competition now, but I don't know? Remember, some of the team drivers weren't to keen on having to switch to the special when it first came out. I believe Tosilini was quite vocal about his dislike for it. How long before he breaks out and heads for another team?

People complain about how often Yokomo changes the version of their cars, well it might be time for another change, if for no other reason, to keep their drivers happy........and loyal.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-07-2001, 06:10 PM   #300

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darkside, the two things I immediately noticed about the car was that the batteries are on the same side as the yok (not really coppying) and the steering system is the same. Other similarities include a very similar looking top deck, and the rear shock tower is almost the same.

Differences include skinnier arms, more forward motor placement and a different front shock tower. Looking more closely at the picture, I notice there are some things that distinguish it from the yokomo, but alot of things are the same. Still, i suspect the car in production will look much better, cause quite frankly, that car is almost as ugly as a XXX-S!

I agree with you about Baker, I think you said it perfectly with the baseball analogy. Losi and Associated are taking over the on-road part now too, buying up all the drivers I still think the yokomo is a very competent car. I have heard some people say the Losi was OK, some love it, and some sell it after two runs...When I drove my special for the first time, I felt it was a big improvement over the worlds/pro, and I have only driven it once, so I hope they don't come out with a new car too soon

As for the big races, yokomo won the stock class at the ROAR nats, beating the "more efficient" cars (TC3,. XXX-S) and placed second in the invitational. Too bad Masami wasn't over here, he would win everything! I think the biggest improvement on the yok would be easier to build shocks and droop srews, I'de buy those in an instant. I don't like the trend of a new car every 6 months so much, some things are good, but others...I am only 13, so it is hard for me to keep up as is, I just may get a car from a company that won't come out with a new one in 6 months next time...

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote