Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2001, 11:52 AM   #271
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Larry, you talking to Mike ??
The tires are great, I will be using 32's
Non Repulsion, or red hpi soft molded
Wait till you see the layout !!
What oil and springs you running, remember I am running the SP also !!
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:28 PM   #272
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Casey: Dude, I thought that you decided to stop running the Special. Yes, I e-mailed Mike D. to ask his opinion. He told me that Mike Keeley (sp?), ran the 28r's with Yok mediums at Laurel and that his car was really "dialed".

At Frederick, I have been running the Yokomo 450 (or 400, don't remember) shock oil with yellow springs front & rear and dual oneways. I tried full time 4WD with green springs up front but lost some steering as a result.

I know that the layout will be "all that". I plan to be there early, so I'll help with setup. I look forward to the Charity Race each year simply because of the size, the competition, it's for a good cause and of course the raffle prizes.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 01:28 PM   #273
Tech Master

Hi guys and greetings from Malta.

Just got back from the track. Did a couple of runs but felt the car very sluggish. One look at the brushes gave the answer. It's amazing how one set can vary so much from the next. I'm playing with an 11 x 2 in the hope that it can give me just a little bit more run time than the 11 x 3, on the same gearing.

I'm intrigued about your tyre discussion. We use Pits D30 out here with Schumacher blue or grey inserts almost universally, but I suppose I should try some Yokes. I've also got some HPI tyres on order - certainly worth a try.

What do any of you guys that have had experience with Pits, Yoke and HPI tyres think. Remember we run on grippy tarmac - asphalt, and on a fast open circuit.

Dave, I run the top mounted front roll bar, though it's not the works one - I made my own. I run both bars at present. It seems to work well with the bars and soft springing and damping, though when the track is still hot I tend to get more oversteer than I would like. Nothing that removing the rear roll bar shouldn't cure. It's amazing how much better the car handles in the evenings when the track cools down.

Darkside.....I agree.....WOW! Yes the Williams team did take a gamble on the weather. They always seem to get it wrong. If I was Frank or Patrick I would have sacked that weather man ages ago. Of course the saga of the jacks was nothing to do with him, but wasn't it pathetic.

You know, I'm not a gambler, but I would have been prepared to bet a few quid on Montoya winning last Sunday. Then they went and set all his programmes up wrong, so when he pressed the first gear button it activated the kill. Like you say, they could take a few lessons from Ferrari....even though I hate to say it. The champcar racing was good Sunday night too. Nice to see an old boy like Moreno win........makes me feel young!

Hey it seems like all the old crowd are back at rctech. Good to see you back too Mars. I expect you can tell me a thing or two about Yoke tyres.

We have a very busy weekend ahead. We are at a static show on Sunday morning, with the local car club. They are organising a show in aid of a friend who got badly injured in a hill climb some months ago. He was actually my closest rival in Group 5, which is the group we race in. He was first in class and I was second, the previous time we raced and we had both been needling each other just minutes before Matthew's accident.

In the afternoon we are racing on a polished floor surface. Hey that's a thought. what tyres do you guys use on that sort of surface?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 03:47 PM   #274
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Johnbull: There you go agreeing again.......stop it! Your scaring me!
Old 09-06-2001, 04:37 PM   #275
Tech Master

so has any body seen what the new Schumacher rc touring car looks like? They have a cad drawing of it on there web page, looks like a yokomo copy to me folks, what do you think.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 04:51 PM   #276
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by drfritz
so has any body seen what the new Schumacher rc touring car looks like? They have a cad drawing of it on there web page, looks like a yokomo copy to me folks, what do you think.
take a look yokomo, thats the way the special should of been.i have always wished that the yokomom front end had more adjustments to it ak( castor drop stops would be nice also)
Old 09-06-2001, 05:55 PM   #277

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Cool

Simon, on your track I would run a 24-26, but I always like to run slightly lower gearing than other people, so I'de say start at a 26 or 27 and see what direction you think you should go in, still haven't emailed me about my top sectret motor tips LOL

johnbull, yeah, it is nice to see everyone back on the board. I would like to be an F1 fan (LOL) but I have to get up to early in the morning to watch it, and I don't have time with school Also, we used to all run pit 25 and 20s on carpet, but the US distributer backed out, so no pits for us anymore.

I personally like the MAXX traction formula better for tire compound on the sorex's, it smells better, and you can put it on right before the race, also, it doesn't eat into the tire like the paragon does, and on the track it feels the same. I run 28Rs with HPI reds on carpet, and they rock. I'll be trying some yok 139s next though

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 08:53 PM   #278
Regional Moderator

drfritz: So what makes for a Yokomo copy? Just having the batteries on one side. I have seen the CAD drawing, and the drive train of the new car, and the suspension(which is still pretty much the same as the original SST) and Yokomo was not the first thing that came to my mind. But, thats just me I guess. In fact I can't EVER recall anyone accusing Schumacher of copying anyone! If anything people considered some of their designs to be a little out in left field, but they always won. And they did it without having to swipe other teams' drivers(cough, cough....Chris Tosilini.....Schumacher to Yokomo...cough, cough) Considering how much winning Scumacher has done, the last thing they need to do is copy somebody else.

I'm not saying your wrong in your opinion, I just get sick of people saying somebody is copying someone else. I drive a Corally and I still don't care to hear people say that Xray copied. There are only so many designs to be had out there. After a while its kind of hard to keep up with who is copying who.

For example: right now every team in F1 is copying Benneton's original "shark nosed" design theme. But, does Benneton complain or does anyone really care, no not really.

But, thats just my 1 and a half cents.

Last edited by Darkseid; 09-06-2001 at 10:22 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 09:33 PM   #279

I still think they coppied yok. But still, it would be nice to see a company in rc that doesn't care about coppying people, if a company would find all the best ideas and combine them, they would have a winning car!
Old 09-06-2001, 09:46 PM   #280
Tech Adept

Dave, thanks for your comments on swaybars. I am running hte top mounted one on my sp with a suzuki 3 deg castor block. Still find some push in mid-corner and whening exiting. I just changed to a stock 5deg block and hope this can help improving the overall steering thru the corners.

johnbull, I am always with you guys but just don't post much. For Yokomo tires, they perform their best during the first 5 runs approx. After that, just keep them for practice. Usually I run a bit faster lap time with Yokomo tires. Sorex and Pits(haven't try the newest pits yet) are very stable tires but sometimes 'too' stable. Usually I can run more swiftly thru the corners with Yokomos.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 09:53 PM   #281

WHAT? Only good for their first five runs??? Dave, is this true?
Old 09-06-2001, 10:34 PM   #282
Tech Master

darkside i seem to have spoken before i read into the car, no big deal, at least it got people talking. Anyways it looks like nice car and i hope that yokomo takes a look at it and comes up with a more tunable front end for there car.they need to do something. with that new losi now this car, there so much more you can do with the tuning of the car that you just can not do with out a major tare down of the car. and your still stuck with 5 deg caster unless you by aftermarket parts. just wish yiokomo would come out with a more tunable car thats all. just take a look at there gas sedan, wish they put that much thought into there electric car.

Last edited by drfritz; 09-06-2001 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:40 PM   #283
Regional Moderator

Speedo: Then explain it. Other than the battery placement, whats the same. The belt system is totally different, they have more battery slots, and they are still using their same SST suspension. The shock towers are totally different. The front end is totally different. I don't get it. Show me the similarities. ANY SIMILARITIES!!!

I'm not saying your wrong, I just want to know what exactly they have copied other than having the batteries on the same side of the chassis. What can you look at on that car and say, they would have never thought of that if it weren't for coping the Yokomo? IF I recall correctly, when the new Losi first show up, people on this very same thread were saying that the Losi was just a Yokomo copy. Back then I still ran a Yokomo, and I still didn't agree with the people who said that then. No one who looks at the new Losi now can say, thats just like the Yokomo. And I'm sure by the time the SST Mission has gone from the CAD screen to reality, no one will say "oh, its just a Yokomo copy"

Just answer me this, are there any newer cars out there that aren't a copy of the Yokomo in some of you guys eyes???

Just asking.

Mars: What Yokomo tires do you use? I have not tried any of the "g" tires, but I still use the sprint med compund with great success. These have lasted and performed excellent well beyond their fifth run. I my experience most tires get bettter the more they are used. Until finally their performance max out and the tire wears out or cuts on the inner edge. But, to generalize and say that Yokomo tires are only good for racing for 5 times is a bit over the top. That means if you practice with them twice before a races begin, run them in all three qualifiers, then they're useless by the mains! Not, the Yokomo tires I pay for, I know that!
Old 09-06-2001, 10:47 PM   #284
Regional Moderator

drfritz:No big deal. Its just that people were saying the same thing when the Losi first appeared. And the only similarities then was the battery placement. I just don't get it.

I agree with you about the adjustability. Its one of the main reasons I switched to Corally. I also own a Schumacher that is nearly as adjustable as the Corally. You can't imagine how helpful it is to be able to just turn a wrench to adjust rear toe or move a clip to adjust front caster. Yokomo did a great job with the GT-4. I just wish they could transfer a little of that to the electric sedan.

But, not to worry. If theres one thing thats definitly shared between Yokomo and Schumacher, its that they don't stick with one car for very long. So lets see what Yokomo has to offer the world next. And see if they "copy" off anyone.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:51 PM   #285
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

The Yok tires are working well for me. If you run stock, I've gotten about 12to 15 runs on a set right now and they are still plenty good to go. But it depends on the track surface and setup you uses. The 139G's do have a thin profile of rubber which means that the tread life may be shorter than some tires. However, many of the better handling tires, like Sorrex, are using this method of thinner rubber to get the tire to hook up better. The thing that has actually impressed me about the 139G's is the way that they wear considering how much traction they have. My tires don't feather at all like my Pit 20's did. And I think the traction of a Sorrex tires goes away with less runs on them. This is just my opinion though.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote