R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-04-2001, 05:49 PM   #241

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I hope you get the problem sorted out Geppetto.

As I said, i run with no droop, well, almost. 60.2mm in front and 59.7mm in back.

Comms, I run mine down to .270 of an inch. Going below often will yield a loss in power. For stock motors, I buy just the regular comms, because I get more life out of them. Trinity regular comms start out at about .294, and the pro ones start out at about .285. I think going below .260 will mean there is no copper left. I advize you to get a pair of digital calipers, they are very helpful in measuring shocks and comms.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:14 AM   #242
Tech Rookie

I'm a little confused. My buddies here run their stock motors with a 28t pinion. Is thay way too over or what? They had no problems with their cars. Well i also have a tc3 and they cannot cope up with mine. Are they overstressing their equipments? Im planning to use my yoke and not sure about the gearings. Have a friend who says 64p are the way to go? Im not sure about this also.
REEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:24 AM   #243
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Cool Shaking Wheel Solved!!! :)

Last night I completely disassembled the front end of my Special, and found the problem for the wheel shaking during turns.

As it turns out, the end of the dog bone (the end that's closest to the wheel) had worn so badly that it had developed slop. This slop, caused binding in the joint when the wheel was turned. The end of the bone had worn to the point that aluminum shavings were left in the carrier (anodized aluminum shavings).

Fortunately, I had a spare set of dog bones from my Pro.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:34 AM   #244
Tech Master

Smile

REEDY: I race stock also and have used pinions as large as 30t with an MVP motor. The result was a lot of speed on the straight, but no punch in the infield and a very hot motor. This past weekend I raced using a P2K with a 78t spur, and 26t pinion and the results far exceed my over geared MVP. My car was equally as fast (if not slightly faster) than the other cars, but with lots of torque in the infield. I don't see where anyone running stock should have to use anything larger than a 27t pinion. Concerning 64 pitch versus 48, I've used both and I don't feel that there's any performance difference. I'm currently using 48p.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:43 AM   #245
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Geppetto - glad to hear that you figured it out. I was gonna mention to you that CVD slop can cause car hop on the track. Usually its the end that attaches to the axle. The pin hole becomes elongated and you get "backlash" in the joint which eventually shows up as metal shavings.

REEDY - If I was right in my assumption that you use a 78t spur gear, a 30t pinion would be a gear ratio of 5.72. Unless you have a HUGE flowing track, that ratio should fry just about any stock motor in existence and not be as fast on the track as a higher ratio. Even if you don't ruin the motor, that gearing is below the powerband of current stock motors. On most tracks, the GM3's powerband for gearing is going to fall between 6.6 and 7.2. Even in the mid 6 range, you risk broiling the magnets on a GM3 and leaving a nice trail of white smoke. The P2K's powerband lies lower in the RPM spectrum and can typically be geared from the low 6's (safely) on big tracks to about 7 where it will then lose against the GM's higher power band. At 27t, you're at 6.36 which is about as low of a ratio that I have ever run in stock succefully and that was in a low-rpm/high-torque motor. I wouldn't recommend any lower than that on most tracks. MVP is closer to GM3 than it is P2K as far as powerband. Higher R's and a higher RPM powerband. (This is my experience with them so far). Guys, anything to add?
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:39 AM   #246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

If you want the MVP to be fast, shoot for about 7.2 FDR, and use the green/red springs off your GM3 or trinity black. One note: gearing is VERY crucial on the MVP. Here's an example- I was running something like a 7.28 in my SP, and decided the track was fast, so I would go up one tooth. I think it was around 7.0. Anyway, it lost ALL of it's punch, and wasn't a bit faster in the straight. One other thing, it seems that more pwerful an MVP is, the more affect gearing has on it. In other words, my fastest MVP will get the hottest and run the worst when it's not geared corrctly. When it is, 180deg temps, loads of punch, an smokin in da straight!!! lol
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 11:17 AM   #247
Tech Master

Wink Since We're Talking Stock Motors...

... I've have an MVP, but thus far I've not been impressed by it (maybe geared improperly???). I've used the P2K and have been relatively pleased with the results. Where does the Green Machine 3 fit in???

This weekend I will be participating in a big race (Hobby Works Charity Race), and the track will be quite large (approx. 148' straight by approx. 65-80' width). I expect that the track will be mostly long and flowing, with very few slow spots. For stock racing with a 78t spur, what gearing (pinion) would you guys recommend for the following motors:

-MVP
-P2k
-GM3

If you have a motor preference please specify.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2001, 11:26 AM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Geppeto- refer to my post about MVPs above. If you don't know what pinion to run to achieve that final drive ratio, go to RCRacing.com and look on the gearing chart page. It will print the chart you need, just tell it what car you have. Here's the link:
RCRacing gear ratio page

Your MVP was a pig because you tried to gear it like a P2K I bet.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 01:26 PM   #249
Tech Master

williams jack man looking for new job with a f1 team, have lots of knowlege with the cars,and jacks, work well with other teams-oops, will take job with nascar or cart if needed. have nine kids to feed, you can reach me at the farrari race shop. thank you for the check, ps i also have some knowlege with oil and cooling systems on f-1 type cars, have worked on montoyas car for the last two weeks .
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 02:45 PM   #250
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

drfritz: That was pretty terrible. But, if anything you could reach him at the McLaren's workshop! Ferrari doesn't need any help at this point, they have already won everything. Coultard benefited greatly from that little snafu with the jacks on Ralfs car. At least no one can claim their only screwing up with Montoya! Williams looked pretty unprofessional front to back on Sunday. Now I see why even people inside their team say they aren't ready to compete for a championship yet.

MVP-I run a Fantom MVP and have just now got some use out of it. I just couldn't get the gearing right. I finally got a full day of good runs out of it last weekend. Its been pretty fustrating with it up till this point. It always seems to get to hot or be to slow when I gear it . Its definitly not my favorite stock motor. But, then again for me there is no such thing as a favorite stock motor, only the one I hate the least!
Old 09-05-2001, 04:27 PM   #251
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner

Montoya took a racer's minute....LOL Back of the grid for you. Its amazing the millions they dump into F1 only to leave cars up in the air and stalling before the race even starts. Watching that race made me feel a little better about the times I flamed out on the starting line with my .12 Picco. And soldering your motor backwards isn't such a humiliating travesty anymore. Thanks team Williams for showing me the light.
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 05:30 PM   #252
Tech Master

never mind.was trying to be funny but, well it just wasn't.

Last edited by drfritz; 09-06-2001 at 12:50 PM.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 06:05 PM   #253

drfritz, what are you saying?

I have chucked a few MVPs on my dyno and have not been overly impressed with them. They are below bad P2Ks, and that is saying something! I think the P2K is still the best all around motor, I like my GM3 for off-road.

Good to hear you got it sorted out Geppetto!
Old 09-05-2001, 06:14 PM   #254
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dave: Man that was a good laugh I got reading your post. Your right it does tend to make you feel a little better about starting a A-main race with a discharged battery pack! At least its just a hobby for us!
Old 09-05-2001, 06:15 PM   #255

I made 3rd place once with a half charged pack! it was fun for the first half, I was winning, then it started to go soft so I slowed it down