R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2003, 08:10 AM   #2506
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't mean to answer your question to Johnbull but I think it has something to do with the graphite not retaining a tweek like the plastic does. Also, the plastic will get softer the hotter it is, the graphite will not. The SSG conversion just makes for a more consistent car that doesn't take a tweek if you get into a wreck or if it's too hot out.
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 AM   #2507
Tech Regular

Hi Matt,
thks for your comments. any fellow yoke drivers' inputs are certainly welcome.
i understand the ssg will make the car less prone to tweak. i guess it will help make the decision easier if yokomo releases just the top deck itself without the shock towers as mine are all graphite already. i just do not wish to spend more money than necessary.
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:23 AM   #2508
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think they do offer just the topdeck, if you look on yokomo usa's website under the full parts list you will see a description of just an SSG topdeck. I believe they also offer most of the pieces seperately as well
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:18 AM   #2509
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pucho

I know this is not the sale forum but I thought you guys may be interested. I have 2 Yoks One is an SP the other is a Worls car. Im selling them both as a package for cheap and there are tons of parts included with them. Please E-mail me directly at pucho45@earthlink.net for more info.
pucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:58 AM   #2510
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

KYEW. MATT H.

I suspect Matt is right about the new deck, on two counts.

1. The handling of my car. I have run it with the Sp top plate with some of the ribs removed. I have run it with a floating alloy rod from rear to front shock tower - indeed I had been running it this way for quite a while, this being just a strenghtening brace. And now i have run it with the SSG top plate.

Since putting the SSG item on the car has become so much more consistant. It doesn't start off a race well and end up handling like a pig, or vice versa, and it seems totally vice free.

2. Whether the SSG items sell on their own. The answer is yes. You can buy each part on it's own. Each has it's own part number.

Now the front tower is exactly the same as the graphite one in terms of holes. The back one has one less - the furthest hole towards the centre of the car has gone. I have my shocks on the innermost holes front and rear at the top and outer holes on the wishbones, but I use TC3 shocks because they are slightly longer. The new Yoke shocks with the longer body should have the same effect. The top arms are on the innermost and highest holes, and yes they pivot on the king pin in front - Tosolini style. The inner mounting for the rear top arms is on the diff housing. You can play with spacers till you get the right angle.

Other than that and plenty of little bits of fine tuning I can't think of much that my Yoke has that others don't.

I recently wired up a fan to cool the motor, and i think this helps, even though i am running the car in the 21 turn stock class this season. I have gone back to the standard Sp alloy drive shafts after the titanium ones i had wore at an alarming rate, and on the circuit we are using this month, which is tight and technical, i have removed both one ways. Finally I use Sorex 28 tyres with Schumacher grey inserts, and Protoform Stratus 2 bodyshells.

Oh, and I run roll bars both front and rear.

Hope this helps.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:29 AM   #2511
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull

It doesn't start off a race well and end up handling like a pig, or vice versa, and it seems totally vice free.
this statement has sort of hit me right on my face. looking back at my races, i do recall the handling fading towards the end of each run. perhaps the heat from my mod motor (i usually use 10 or 11 turn) is acting on the entire chassis.
thks for your inputs.
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 01:55 AM   #2512
Tech Master

KYEW.

Are you sure it's not the tyres that are going off - perhaps an unsuitable temperature rating.

The Sorex 28 we are using still looks good at the end of the race, now that the weather is cold, but in the summer the same tyre was chunking badly, and that is the effect we were getting. in fact I will go up a grade or two as the weather gets warmer.

The fan certainly helps keep motor temperatures down, and as there isn't a weight problem because the car is vastly underweight anyhow, the only constraint to using things like fans is space. I have the servo across the chassis and as far forward as it will go. I then have the new KO Propo receiver which is quite small, the GT7 speedo, the fan and the motor, in that order starting from the front. It's a fairly tight fit but they do fit.

It was even tighter in my son's TC3 where I had to replace the KO receiver with a Novak XXL and fit that upright to get everything to fit.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #2513
Tech Rookie

Johnbull: You are versed on the MR4TC-Pro and the TC3. Did you find that the MR4 has more mid and exit steering than the TC3. I sold my stuff and am getting back into it. I prefer an aggressive car and I remember the MR4 being way more aggressive than the TC3 which I felt pushed--but that was one of the first ones out not the updated suspension parts. Thanks
dperyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:46 AM   #2514
Tech Adept

Thanks for the previous post on where to find the V.2 in Asia.
I will be ordering up 2 kits this coming week.

We can only race with front standard ball diffs and fixed center pulleys due to the tech track an lack of traction.

Could anyone tell me what additional parts I will need to convert to fixed center pulley and front ball diff.

I will need ZS630ASP - Lightweight main gear adapter.
What are the part #s for the diff parts and is there anything else required??

Thanks,
Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:52 AM   #2515
Tech Master

DPERRYMAN.

Yes, I run an MR4 and my son runs a TC3. I sell both at my shop, so the choice is more a commercial one than any one car being better than the other. That's purely my opinion of course.

If you're thinking to buying new, I understand Yoke are about to release an all new car in the not too distant future, so if you can wait, it may be worth it.

If you want to buy right now, then I do believe that the TC3 is the car of the moment. It just keeps proving itself, no matter who drives it, on circuits all over the World.

Go for something that is popular in your area, where parts are readily available, and there are experienced guys that can help you with set ups etc.

I like the new Corally very much too. The single belt - direct drive car has got to be the way to go in the future.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:58 AM   #2516
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi guys. i just sold my Pro3 for a handsome price and now in the market for another car.
im looking at the mr4tc ...
but there are so many versions?
the mr4tc rs special is for sale at a hongkese site so i would like some details about it:
does it have full graphite including arms,shock towers,with threaded shocks and graphite top deck?
will i need to upgrade any(much) more than the box kit?
i learnt a painful lesson with pro3 and i want a nice full blown kit.
thanks for the help.
Johnbull:
u said yokomo is coming out with a new car?how accurate is that?how long?if in less than 12months then i will not get a yok.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:58 AM   #2517
Tech Adept

I was wondering if anyone where using foams and what type. I have used Jaco purple F/R. On the track that I raced on Iwas able to go around the track wide open with a stock motor. Switch to a mod motor and I could not keep up with a Tamiya with a stock motor just to much power. I did win the A- main when I raced in the stock class.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #2518
Tech Regular

Hi guys, i need some recommendations on the spring/oil setting for a bumpy track. Size is medium with hairpins, sweepers... etc.

I tried 40 and 70 wt oil with yellow springs, but the car is still riding roughly as i can see the car jumping about. with the 70wt, it's like 'skiing'. it's a tramac track. motor- 11T and 23T tamiya

Should i change to softer springs and go back to the 40wt, with additional F/R roll bars ??

thanks
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 02:03 AM   #2519
Tech Master

KASEY.

The discription of your track sounds a bit like ours. Grippy but bumpy tarmac, and a generally fast and flowing track.

I got my 5th win of the season on Sunday with my Yoke, and i have to say it was handling great.

I prefer to run a soft set up myself - 50 oil all round - Fastrax orange springs all round - and roll bars all round. If you are in UK the Fastrax springs are sold by CML. They are fractionally longer than the standard Yoke springs, but much softer, so the car is working on it's springs all the time.

I must say I find the new SSG top plate - without the stiffener - did help. The car seems so much more predictable now.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:56 AM   #2520
Tech Regular

thanks for the advise, i'll try it out this sat.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote