R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-31-2003, 11:18 PM   #2461
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc
Default setup help needed

Hey guys, still trying to work out the bugs on my friends Special. We have tried running it 2 race days with the "jay neil" setup (http://www.schumacher.clara.net/setupsheets.htm) that was recomended by a few of you here. We run on an un prepped assphalt track and use sorex 32's. The car has a major push unless green springs are used on the rear and when we do that the car feels to stiff in the back. Any suggestions?

Also, when the wheels are turned to full steering in either direction there is a lot of slop on the inside wheel. You can see the wheel kinda flopping around on a hard turn, any way to get rid of that?

Blake
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:27 AM   #2462
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Are you using sway bars?One thing that I have noticed on my special is the steering servo has to be at least 60oz. on the torque,if not your car will push(with the right set up).I have been using a JR Z590M servo,great servo for the money($39)Dont over look the servo saver if it's not tight your car will push also.I had a bad push when I was using a JR Z250 servo and all I did was change servo's(Z590M)and the push was gone.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:32 AM   #2463
Tech Addict

He is using a good Airtronics servo that has over 100oz of torque. He did not get a manual with the car, can you possibly tell me if there is a general setting for the stock bellcrank servo saver setup? Also, no swaybars yet.

Blake
Old 02-01-2003, 01:41 AM   #2464
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

In my Instructions it says "tighten the collar nut so that it is positioned more than 2mm from the bottom of the post".I run mine with just a little more than 2mm from the bottom of the post.I set my car up per.the Instructions,shocks,caster,camber,springs,I have so much steering i had to find ways to get rid of some of the steering.I also use sorex 32s.I do have a little "slop"in the camber also,but it does not seem to affect the way the car handles.I do run some of the fastest lap times at the track I race at.And I have been racing my yokomo(And TCs)for less than 2mo.I would like to think I will get faster.If I can dig up another set of Instructions,I will get you a set.Dont give up on the car just yet,When the car is set up right its very fast,just as fast as a xxxs or a tc-3 or any other TC out their.All most forgot..are you using a one way or a diff up front?
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:22 AM   #2465
Tech Addict

There is a oneway up front right now. If possible, maybe you could tell me what the stock camber links and shock locations are?

Blake
Old 02-01-2003, 02:51 AM   #2466
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

BLAKESRC.

You mention a chatter when on full lock. Are you sure you have not got too much steering travel.

If you have a top quality transmitter you can reduce that. It is recommended that you set the travel so that the driveshaft couplings don't bind - chatter. I have mine set at 100 out of a possible 150, using a KO Vantage transmitter. You then make other adjustments via all the other parameters on your transmitter.

If you don't have a transmitter with travel adjustment you can do it by fitting a shorter servo horn.

The trend these days seems to be for lots of soft springing with plenty of droop. Take a look at a few recent set up sheets for the good guys - even with other cars. They are running 30 or 40 shock oil for instance, something we wouldn't dream of doing a couple of years ago. I also run my Special on Sorex 28s on an asphalt track, and have no complaints about the handling. In fact most guys tell me mine is one of the best handling cars there.

If you are running on a tight and niggly circuit I suggest you remove the one ways. Actually a front one way does tend to cause chatter, especially if you have lots of wear in the drive shafts and couplings.

We have a championship round tomorrow, but the weather today is terrible - thunderstorms, high wind - so I can't see it happening.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:59 AM   #2467

This might help with the instructions.....

http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/pressrelease/index.html

The English versian is at the bottom of the page.

Also, there should be a little slop around the wheels, as I've found out. Most cars have a little. It won't effect your handling at all in fact it should help the car track straight, but it can confuse what your Camber settings should be. To help make it more accurate push the top of the wheel outwards when measuring camber. Basically this mimics what the car will do when weight starts to transfer from one side to the other.
teamhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #2468
Tech Adept

ITs true Yokomo is coming out with a new touring car. It wont be another MR4 series . it will be out some time this year not sure when theres no pics but if there is post it up.
Yokomo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #2469
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the information i got from a reliable source in HK was: twin belts, different c of g and around may

johnbull - what is your set up, ive been using sorex 28's also with success on asphalt, ive been using the std kit set up but dropping the rear swaybar and 500wt oil up front
Old 02-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #2470
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Speedo: I actually ended up winning one on eBay, BUT after I sent the guy money via Paypal, I have not heard anything back. So I am starting to get worried. If he flails on me, I will still need one.

Everyone: Any idea where I could get a titanium screw set for the MR4-TC Special? I have checked around a little bit but no dice so far.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #2471
Tech Adept

Diffrent c of g ? what do you mean?
Yokomo_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 06:32 PM   #2472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Center of Gravity
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 AM   #2473
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Who says the MR4 is over the hill?

At yesterday's Nationals I won my 4th round this year, from 8 held so far in Pro Stock, and the beginners stock class was also won by an MR4. This increases my lead in the championship again.........thank you very much.

FUTUREAL.

I get all my Titanium stuff from Titanium Racing. I believe Schumacher USA are their distributors in your part of the world. I'm not too keen on their diff outdrives and drive shafts though. They wear too much and I will be going back to the factory items on both my MR4 and son Josh's TC3. But their screw sets are great, and I also use their titanium layshaft on my MR4 Sp.

Josh had another great outing yesterday too. He has now won the mod class in all 8 rounds of the National championship, so you could say it was a good day yesterday for JOHN BULL RACING. On the tight and technical track we ran yesterday he even lapped the second placed car in the final.

CONTACT.

My set up basically is everything as soft as possible. Our track is grippy but a bit bumpy. I run Fastrax orange springs on TC3 shocks. The reason for the TC3 shocks is that they have longer shafts - more travel. Oil in all the shocks is 50 weight. Ride height 5mm front - 6mm rear. Shocks mounted on inner holes on towers and outer holes on lower wishbones. Lower wishbones on upper inner holes and lower outer holes to raise roll centre. Top arms as high and long as possible. 1 to 1.5 degrees negative front and rear, and 1 degree toe in at the rear. Roll bars front and rear, and on yesterday's tight track I removed both one ways. Play with washers at steering arm ends to remove bump steer. And I won again yesterday so it can't have been too bad. It started off abit tail happy yesterday, so I disconnected the rear roll bar for the first heat until the track grip came up.

As for tyres I could have done with a softer Sorex yesterday for it was very cold. I run Schumacher grey inserts - the new flat top ones. Son Josh tried a set of Pits D25 (same inserts) but prefered the Sorex 28s.

If I can be of any further help,let me know. You can get a glimpse of how we do it here in Malta on our website: www.irmcc.com

Good to hear of the new car.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #2474
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Leon

You've probably heard this many times. Where is Malta?
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:56 AM   #2475
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Leon,

Where’s Malta?

The Maltese Archipelago lies virtually at the centre of the Mediterranean, with Malta 93kms south of Sicily and 288kms north of Africa.
Gibraltar is 1,826kms to the West and Tel Aviv is 1,940kms to the East

Here is a nice link to Malta
http://www.visitmalta.com
Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote