R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2003, 07:42 AM   #2401
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

For the whole kit it's going to be $160(us) + shipping,it's alot of money but it sure add's the bling bling,I am just wondering if it's going to make the car handle THAT much better,(to offset the $$$ spent)but it sure does make the car look very "factory".Where I race at my yokomo allways works,I am able to run alot harder compound tires than what anyone else is running,I think the chassis is flexing a little so it makes it easy to drive.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #2402
Tech Adept

for $160 you could almost buy a new car in teh states!

I'm waiting for the new yok to come out if it does.

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:19 PM   #2403
Tech Lord

I am also waiting for a new yokomo to come out,but I think the problem is the team is still very successful with the mr-4 platform,hard to change when the car can still win on any given race day,Associated has the same problem,I do think Yokomo does need to address the parts availability problems they have(or I have).You would think that yokomo would want to get some of the tc market that they have lost back,It's very hard to sell a 3 year old car (thats $270)When theirs new cars out their for the same or less money,like the xxxs plus,tamiya 414 II.New sells old sit's on the shelf.I bought my mr-4 special(new in the box)for $100 from a shop that had the car for over 6 mo. bad for them good for me.I like the car more than my other TCs,but I want a new design car from yokomo NOT a "hoped up" mr-4.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:36 PM   #2404
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yokomo's team can now be counted on one hand. Hopefully they come out with a new car before they loose anymore driver's. The new chassis is what the car needed to maintain (for now) but it needs some new stuff. Droop screws being one of them.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #2405
Tech Elite

Well the Yokomo is a year older than the TC3... but they have been doin basically what the TC3 has done... or something similar. Running Changes. Why drastically change something soo successful? TC3 is due out for a new chassis maybe next month. Their drivetrain is just too awesome. So no need to change that. I think it's just the thought of having a brand new designed Yokomo that would be killer. As for the 414, it's been on the market awhile too. Revised much like the Yokomo. Last years revision was the M2... and now the Worlds car...... hmmm sounds familiar... plus next month is the Silver Graphite for the 414....

So, anyone know where the cheapest place to buy a Yok Special?? I sold mine.... and want one again for this summer.....
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #2406

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'm running a TC3 now, but I would love to see Yokomo come out with a new TC, even if only to see what it looks like. Yokomo makes some great stuff, and with TC's thriving more than ever, now would be a great time to release a new car, especially considering there are no big releases from other companies in the future, sans the EVO3.

If they used that silver graphite, droop screws and came up with a more efficient drivetrain coupled with Yokomo's proven knowlege of suspension geometry they could produce an awesome car, and gain some of the market back.

Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 PM   #2407
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

kilruf- I understand what you are saying but the TC3 did running changes that really improved the car and updated the car to what was the hot ticket at the time (droop screws) Yokomo marketed the Hara car quickly then came out with the special which IMO has been too inconsistent in different temperatures. I had been telling everyone out my way that Yokomo needed to go back to a double deck graphite type chassis like their older M2PRO. Now that they have hopefully they can make running changes off of it. The new chassis gave Matt Francis a run for his money last weekend. I don't think that the regular special chassis would have turned the lap times the Yokomo driver's were doing. These are just my opinions. Basically thinking out loud
Old 01-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #2408
Tom
Tech Regular

on the topic of new cars there is a new hpi, corally and yokomo
+ a new xray but that is for the sport class

i will be waiting to pick the best out of the above 3 pro level cars

so far with out seeing any pics of the yok it looks like the hpi will be the next big tc
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #2409
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I still run my Yoke SP and love it. It handles well, is reliable, and I'm actually leading the stock class in the championship with it. I would love to replace it, preferably with a new Yoke.

The problem I am finding here with Yoke is that whereas if you want info about TC3s or Losis there is always someone knowledgeable, and connected with the factory, that can give you answers, with Yoke there just isn't anyone from the factory that's interested, or so it seems.

When someone asked recently about TC3 updates, relpies came from factory drivers. The same with Losi, and Schumacher, but I have yet to see a thread by a Yoke works driver or factory employee.

That's really what they need, because as most of you have already said, the Yoke is disappearing from the RC scene, not because it is not a good car, but because the makers seem uninterested.

I remember the days when Yoke ruled in both off road and on road. Where are they now?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:45 PM   #2410
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yokomo is probably concentrating on the domestic market where i seem to recall them being the #3 brand behind tamiya and someone i cant remember.... the forum on the yokomo jp site gets plenty of traffic! i guess the english speakers have to wait... im ok with that!
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 AM   #2411
Tech Adept

i have to agree there the yokomo is a very good car I caned eveyone at my local club yesterday and it was only second outing on carpet. self praise aside the suspension geometry is something else!

I can live with yok bringing out updates to their cars, what I can't live with is spending 250 quid on a new car if they bring one out.

sanj
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:54 PM   #2412
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Leon

On the topic of new or old car. I am actually wanting to buy the MR-4TC SP Ver 2. I've been wrestling with the idea of new and old car and I've pretty much come up with who cares if it's new or old as long as it's fast and as long as it works for you.

It seems to me that at most club level racing, it's not really what you run it's how you run it. Obviously you're not going to win anything with a sport level chassis, but if you're comparing all race chassis it seems that it's just driver skill and setup. Finding the car that works for you is probably the most expensive thing.

I am not saying that Yokomo shouldn't release a new product though. I would love to see what they have in store for everyone.

A prime example is the recent release of the new Tamiya TB EVO III. It's an excellent car correct? It's brand new and it's not like it just came out and demolished the competition. It definitely proved itself to be worthy of the CURRENT competition and has a lot of potential. But it certainly didn't just destroy everyone just cause it's new right? Am I making any sense?
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #2413
Tech Lord

Yes what you are saying makes alot of sense,I just bought a new graphite plus xxxs and I'm still faster with my mr-4 special,It just fits my driving style alot better plus the whole time I've been racing it I have only broken one A arm,thats alot less broken parts than my losi.For me the car just works,over the last year I have been trying other cars,hoping them up and I allways end up running my yokomo in the 3rd heat and the main,I have not been practicing with the yokomo either,So this year I'm just going to run my yokomo and see how I do.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:47 AM   #2414
Tech Adept

What i'm worried about is parts support for the mr4 if there is a new Yokomo car anytime soon.

Last edited by kino2; 01-21-2003 at 12:56 AM.
kino2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:56 AM   #2415
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

KINO2.

I don't think you need worry much about parts for the MR4.

If the YR4 situation is anything to go by, then you should still be finding MR4 bits on the shelves in a few years time.

I sold lots of YR4s before the MR4 was produced. Then people started buying MR4's, but wanted something to do with their YR4s. So I sponsored a class in our championship which caters for pre 1999 Yokomo and Schumacher touring cars, running with control motors, speedos and tyres. There are quite a few YR4s running in this class, and they all use parts, but I have never had any problem procuring parts for them, and remember that the YR4 production finished in 1999.

So I don't think there will be a problem with MR4 parts in the forseeable future.

As for the car's competitiveness, well I'm certainly not complaining. An MR4 won both finals of our stock class last Sunday, and I came second with mine. And I presently lead the championship with my MR4 Sp, so there can't really be much wrong with them, can there.

However I still look forward to the new car. A new car from Yoke is always interesting.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote