Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread >

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a carpet set-up using rubber tires - TakeOff A.

What do you recommend ?
Should I use SP or Worlds chassis ?
Inserts ?
Oil - Springs ?

Many thanks,
Old 09-17-2002, 10:20 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check out the setups on my site. www.mo-net.ws
Old 09-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Simon,

Thanks for the reply buddy,

I've already had a look at those swaybar/shock ballstuds but they're way too long on the flat portion of the stud (so you cant just cut the thread off to make them shorter). The flat part is also a smaller diameter than the hole in the hub carriers.

Has anyone else on this forum done this mod on their cars?

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:15 PM
mo
Tech Master

Yokomo may not be getting any more of the kingpin ballstuds in for a while. You can use the ones from the Tamiya 414m2 with a little modification.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Mo,

I live in New Zealand and the Yokomo importer gets part directly from Japan, so I just wondered if you have a part number for the kingpin ballstuds?

What kind of modification do the Tamiya ones need? Do you have a part number for these also?

Thanks a lot, what a fantastic resource this forum is
Old 09-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

The Tamiya ones require you to widen the hole on the top of the castor block slightly, you will need tamiya ballcups also.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:44 PM
mo
Tech Master

The number for the Yokomo kingpins are ZR-007F. I don't know the number for the Tamiya ones but I will try to find out tomorrow. Speedworld, I believe has them in stock, so I will call tomorrow and get the number.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:02 PM
mo
Tech Master

The number for the Tamiya kingpin ballstud is 9805740 and the number for the ballcups that fit on them is 50875.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey mo,

Thanks very much for going to all that effort. It's much appreciated

I'm going to order some now, I should hopefully get them in time for racing this weekend! Hopefully it helps me peg back the points leader's Losi

Cheers to Speedo for the modifying tip too.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

I never managed to procure a set of the yokomo ones so I have always been using the tamiya parts, they work just fine. Only thing you have to be carful of is the wheel will rub on the top of the ballcup so you need to file it down a bit.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I tried ordering that Yokomo part number a couple of times through my New Zealand dealer but nothing came through from Japan.

I've just now ordered some Tamiya studs and ballcups. Tamiya supplies in New Zealand are awesome, I'll get them in the post tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, I did wonder how close the ballcup would come to the wheel.

Did you notice much of a handling difference?

I was also thinking about trying the rear camber link mod too. I've had a look at photos of Masami's car from the worlds. It's a bit hard to see but I think he's made the camber links point down (outer end is lower then inner end), rather than the factory setup where the inner is lower than the outer. Other than that it looks like the links are roughly the same lenth as standard.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Deano
Yeah, I tried ordering that Yokomo part number a couple of times through my New Zealand dealer but nothing came through from Japan.

I've just now ordered some Tamiya studs and ballcups. Tamiya supplies in New Zealand are awesome, I'll get them in the post tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip, I did wonder how close the ballcup would come to the wheel.

Did you notice much of a handling difference?

I was also thinking about trying the rear camber link mod too. I've had a look at photos of Masami's car from the worlds. It's a bit hard to see but I think he's made the camber links point down (outer end is lower then inner end), rather than the factory setup where the inner is lower than the outer. Other than that it looks like the links are roughly the same lenth as standard.
Dean,
Have a look at some of the pics and you'll see that Masami had small plates made up, they are screwed to the back of the block using the two holes already drilled, then there is a third hole where he places the outer ballstud. Should be easy to make, just a case of drilling the third hole accurately. Check out the attached pic.

When was the Avatar pic taken? Port road sprint or Alexander road?
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread-istc_masami_3.jpg  
Old 09-18-2002, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Here's the front, gives an idea of how much to remove from the ballstud, plus shows the new front shock tower(with extra body mount)
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread-istc_masami_2.jpg  
Old 09-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Simon K

Newer SP Kits....
Saw one today, 2 weeks out of Japan.
Is it an all-new package (SP2???) or newer parts thrown in the existing SP boxes as an update on the fly?

Hmmm, that could explain the lack of SP kits at most places in the US if they're re-packaging them for a quick update before they come out with the all-new car.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:11 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I want some of that cool silver graphite. If I go to the ball stud type front camber links what is it going to do for my car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.