R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2002, 09:46 AM   #1891
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Manual

TCRboy the manual for the SP can be found at
http://www.yokomousa.com/manuals/index.html
I saw the manual for the MR4TC pro on the Yokomo forum, but I could find it again.

A-man1234
a-man1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:03 PM   #1892
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

There seems to be lots of talk of new Yokes, but is there anything to substantiate it.

We all know Masami spent quite a bit of time playing with a prototype just before the Worlds in South Africa, then went for the tried and tested Special MR4.

I agree that the biggest problem is not the car itself. I still reckon that in the right hands the MR4 Special is as competitive as anything. What Yoke need is a bit of publicity - getting more top class drivers to drive Yokes, and yes, as someone else said - encouraging some good club drivers to run Yokes.

You are quite right - Yokes are becoming rare beasts at meetings these days, simply because all the other manufacturers are really pushing whilst Yoke just huddle in Japan.

I think the best example of good PR is X Ray. The way these guys boast about their car you would think it is winning absolutely everything. In reality it hasn't won one big event. In Europe certainly there only seems to be one driver capable of making the X ray run well, and that is Gilles Groskamp. But then we all know it's Gilles that's good.

I have been playing with both my Yoke and my son's TC3 this summer and I have to say that at the end of the day I feel happier driving the Yoke. It seems just that little bit more in control.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
The Xray won the carpet nats........LOL You know I'm just pulling your leg
Old 08-30-2002, 01:00 AM   #1893
Tech Master

Hi STLNLST,

Reading through the X Ray thread I thought you might have fallen for the hype and bought one of those X ray copies of a Corally C4.

Since the end of our championship 2 months ago, I have been doing lots of developement on my son's TC3, in readiness for the forthcoming season. My lap times have been improving steadily, whilst he has not been down to the track for the whole 2 months.

I got the times down to low 18s with a best ever lap of 18.1 (my best lap on the same day with my Yoke was 17.9).

Yesterday Josh finally decided to stop off at the track, on his way to rugby training. He did one run. Out lap from standing start 18.1. Best lap 17.3. Lap average over 5 minutes 17.7, with a closing lap of 17.8.

If that isn't deflation I don't know what is. Still at least he's pleased with my work and actually feels that the car is better than it was last season. At least that's some consolation.

I wish he would have a go with my Yoke, which I have always found easier to drive.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 07:50 AM   #1894
Tech Regular

Right, they had 3 cars in the A main but I just watched the race on video and Masami was sliding all over the place so there was clearly something wrong with the car. [/B][/QUOTE]

i dont think there's anything wrong with the car, rather the setup wasn't quite there yet. i believe masami just didnt manage to sort out the car (with the new geometry/parts) on a treated track. maybe if barry baker was still with yokomo..........
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:32 PM   #1895
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Kyew it sounds like hook up on the track was very difficult. I was reading the setup on the 414M2 that one and he had a ton of rear toe in. He also had alot of other stuff to gain rear bite. I figure at the speeds they hook up is tough.

I bet that taped you watched was cool. Did you order it or did someone you know tape it at the race?

I think the Yoke is still a great car and I think it is also hard to have the best car for every type of track condition. Even the best has some off days. Baker is always fast wtih whatever he drives. The Yoke he had was dialed and I imagine the TC3 is no different. I think sometimes the Yoke with the Wide chassis is a little better for some track conditions as it is a little less aggresive in the steering department. My SP steers like no other touring car I have had. Very aggressive even with 2 degree rear hubs on it. It took me a 3 weeks of racing to really dial it in.

Next week will be my first race with rubber tires on this Yoke. I normally run foams on our asphalt track. Are Proline H13 tires still any good? Don't seem like anyones runs Proline rubber tires anymore.

Brian
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:35 PM   #1896

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I wouldn't use the pro-line tires...I would look at Sorex, Takeoff and Yokomo tires.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 10:45 PM   #1897
wyd
Tech Legend

I will check into those other tires. I hardly ever run them so I'm kinda in the dark about them.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:56 AM   #1898
Tech Master

TYRES.

We have tried all sorts, both on the MR4 and the TC3.

Pro-Line H13. This is one we haven't tried but I understand it is not in the same ball park as most of the tyres mentioned below. But in fairness nor is it's price.

Yokomo. We have tried 138 and 139 in all their types. The F (firm) is too firm for our track and offers little grip, even with soft inserts. The Medium is a much better bet, and if you are happy to run just a couple of sessions on a set of tyres then go for the Soft. They grip like sh.............. to a blanket! Price in local money Lm7.00 per pair.

Orion / Hot laps. Great when new, but very quickly get inconsistant. Not so hot on wear, but cheap. Price Lm10 per set of 4.

Sorex. 24 is too soft and rips up in no time at all. 28 is very good but wear qualities are nothing to write home about. Grip is great when the tyres are new. Price Lm5.00 per pair.

HPI. About the same as Orion. Price Lm5.00 per pair.

Take Off. Their own insert works well so that's a cost reduction for a start. They stay consistant throughout their very long life. They don't grip as well as Sorex, Yoke and Pits but give great value for money. The ideal tyre if you are going to do plenty of testing. Price Lm7. per pair, but remember you don't need to spend on inserts.

Pits. D30 is my favorite, with either Schumacher grey inserts or Sorex grey inserts. They are ballistic when new, but don't loose too much with wear or age. They last well, though not as well as Take Off, and every set I have used has been the same, which is so important. For cold weather running you could run D25 which gives even more grip, though naturally wear is greater. Price Lm7.00 per pair.

I hasten to add that these are just my findings on our track. Every track is probably different. For example when we raced at West London we found it's own soft insert worked best with the Pits.

Regards

Joe from sunny malta.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:53 AM   #1899
wyd
Tech Legend

Hey thanks Joe. That is a nice little write up for me. I have a set of Takoff's CS-27's. I think I will get some Pits as you mentioned above. I would imagine it will be around 70 to 85 degrees out next weekend. I will look into some D30's. I will be only running them like 5 to 7 runs at most and that will be it.

Our shop don't have too many rubber tires since we are a foam running track.

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-02-2002, 07:30 PM   #1900
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 007yoshi Send a message via AIM to 007yoshi

Is it really too late to get a MR4TC SP? After much investigating this seems to be the car that will fit me best. I dont wanna wait on a new yoke that might not ever come out for another 1-2 years
007yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:32 PM   #1901
Tech Regular

OH and yokomo is supported at the LHS
Old 09-02-2002, 08:28 PM   #1902
wyd
Tech Legend

My shop found a SP for me and their is one on R/C tech that a guy has for for 250 with a ton of stuff and it is in great shape. If I had the money I would be buying it because he has a ton of stuff.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:32 AM   #1903
Tech Master

Just in case you guys are starting to get a bit disillusioned about Yoke not winning much of late, just have a look at the latest KO Gran Prix results.

In Mod you will see that the winner is Adam Rogers, with Marcus Epstein second, and they both ran Yoke SPs.

Oh, and they weren't alone. There were 160 entries, and we know what a big event the KO GP is.

SPEEDO, where are you?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:12 AM   #1904
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Yoshi, I have two specials I'm going to sell and a ton of parts I want to sell seperately. One car has a new chassis, graphite shock towers, arms etc etc. It was going to be my carpet car. The other one is awesome, but I ran it on asphalt so it has some scratches on the bottom. It's tuned for our local p/l track but it has mad corner speed.

LMK if you're interested.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:56 AM   #1905
Tech Regular

I bet I would be.... used or not as long as it works great Could you email me details and pics? Thanks w_007yoshi@hotmail.com