R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-15-2002, 01:49 AM   #1756
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Hi guys, need some advise here.
There's an "outlaw" electric tourer race series which I am taking part in. Its anything goes as far as motor choice and tires are concerned, all else follows IFMAR, ROAR rules.
I am considering running foam tires coz my rubbers tend to get overheated on the tarmac surface we race on. Any advise on setup, compound etc? Hows the wear rate like on foams???
Thanks.
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #1757
Tech Addict

Wink

The foam tyres don't like any dust on the surface, this will affect traction bigtime.

I run a 21mm wide front and 26mm wide rear tyre, the narrower front makes the car less twitchy.
Turn your steering rate down to minimum, drive the car and increase the steering rate back up gradually, to the point you are happy with.
Use a front anti roll bar to calm things down if the car is nasty to drive.

Try starting around 35 shore front and 30 shore rear. We use long life Jap rubber in NZ most of the time.

Last edited by Simon K; 07-15-2002 at 09:22 PM.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #1758
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We just had a foam race at Englishtown, and my car worked very well indeed. Here's what I'd consider a good starting point:

For tires, I'd suggest TRC Purple rears and TRC double purple fronts. I started mine at 59mm diameter.

I ran the white springs up front, blues in back. 30wt oil and 3 hole pistons in the shocks. Outermost shock mounting points top and bottom. I ran the kit supplied front swaybar (in the upper position). IF you need a bit more steering go to white springs all around. For a real grippy track, you might do better on Yellows, Englistown is smooth, but not very grippy.

Up front, I did the kingpin ballstud modification and ran the inner end of the camber link in the middle inner hole on the tower. In back I did the Tosolini rear hub mod and ran the inner end of the camber rod on the bulkhead. Inner hingepins mounted low in the bulkeheads front and rear, outer pins low in back and high in front.

Run 5mm ride height, and set the shock lengths to allow the car to lift to about 7mm in back and 6.5mm in front before the tires leave the ground.

I ran a P-94 9 turn double, geared at 26/81. The car was blindingly fast, but I had to be careful with the trigger to make run time. I'd have been better off with a milder motor, I kept trying to detune it as the night went on, but it kept getting faster and faster...

Trips
Old 07-15-2002, 10:49 PM   #1759
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tips guys
Simon K : Hmmm point noted abt dusty tracks. Do you what's the correlation btw shore rating and color rating of the foam??? I'm getting way confused now Long life Jap rubber??? As in what, Sorex 36R/ 40R??

Trips : Hmm how did you get so much droop into your car (6.5 front and 7 rear)??? You're running the long shock ends? Wouldn't running so much droop cause the car to become "lazy" and slightly unpredictable at the limits?
As a matter of fact I do have a P-94 9 dbl. Running on the smaller tracks here means even on 19/78 the motor was only at abt 70% peak rev when I have to let off rolling into the sweeper at the end of the main straight.... plus low down torque wasn't fantastic with the sub ten motor Actually found a Chrome Touring 14 dbl to give more consistent runs and faster 5 minute results.. if not blinding fast one off fastest laps
Old 07-15-2002, 10:54 PM   #1760
Tech Master

Oh no. Is NightKidZ turning to the dark side?!
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:29 PM   #1761
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
Oh no. Is NightKidZ turning to the dark side?!
Just exploring my options man.... no point letting the old snake kick our butts just coz we are too "proud" to explore foams no??? Yuan Ching in race conditions can be too taxing on rubber tires (overheating).
Hehhehe dude, you qualified A3.. you and Kasey had the best (outside) chance of getting the old snake.... who knows what could have been if you guys had the same traction he had???

Anyway, if you are interested, I dropped by Hobbylink on Monday and got a closer look and setup details abt the brushless snakemobile.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:08 AM   #1762
Tech Master

It's not a matter of proud. I run my tires for at least 3 months, and at the rate I run 'em, I guess it's kinda amazing. besides as I mentioned, I intend to race abroad when I can get the $$$ and time to go. These race run *rubber* so I won't bother to practice on foam. Besides, at RCS I usually lose out at night to all sort of cars - I don't care 'cause I know I'm on rubber on a track occupied by foamed nitro cars. When it comes to real racing it kinda proves it huh? It's like Takumi practicing with water in his car, and removes in in the real race. Practice with disadvantage. Race at full capability. Besides, analysis indicates that due to the foam's decrease in diameter, the roll axis of the car will change once the ride height is used to compensate (think of the angle of the suspension arms). If THAT changes, oh boy the whole car will feel like a different machine.

BTW dudes in this forum, sorry for intruding in. This post is meant for NightKidZ only, the foam comments are my own

Suprisingly your tires can overheat. Even the 36rs? I was using the old set left over from the CCK mod race (yes horrid wear marks) and they gripped like mad. And yes.... if I had run foams (I'm slightly swayed but no, the International race is a month away I will need practice) *perhaps* I might be able to maintain my qualifying position. Winning Sam Cheng? Not in my dreams... In fact this was the time last year I started out with my TB01.... Besides, I'm a 14x2 on rubber. 6 of the a mainers were on foam, on lower turn motors, with (i'm sure) much better, matched batteries. An A6 finish with a 2nd main DNF is not bad
Old 07-16-2002, 05:22 AM   #1763
Tech Addict

Sam cheng is old snake? and his car is snakemobile? Ahh Nightkidz I m laughing to death!help
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:27 AM   #1764
Tech Master

Shall we create a new thread in Singapore forums? I bet this will annoy the yokomo ppl if it goes on lol ;-)
Old 07-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #1765
Tech Addict

Wink

The shore/colour foam tyre thing is confusing.
We have Frewer rubber, identified by colours.
We have Ellegi rubber identified by shore.

Both are also then split into front and rear compound rubber, which is also different. Ie. A front 30 is harder than a rear 30 shore.

After racing on Foam, in modified for the past 5 or so years it's obvious to the NZ racing fraternity that foam is definately quicker than using rubber tyres.
The variables such as tyre diameters reducing are minimised by using the Jap long life rubber(Both Frewer and Ellegi supply this) which lasts a lot longer than some of the other "Colours" such as Frewer "Yellow" a one run, soft qualifying tyre.
The "Yellow" tyres were used to win the NZ nats this year, in Mod, Stock and "Super touring(Group C type shells)".

We tend to stick to a narrow, hard front and a softer rear, Use a front anti roll bar and true the tyres to anywhere between 62-64mm in diameter. We only race on asphalt with foam tyres, there is no venue with carpet so I can't comment on setup for carpet racing.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:04 PM   #1766
Tech Apprentice

err... Whats jap long life rubbers? how do I tell? is it written on the package?
kinoshita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #1767
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Haven't been in here for ages, though I still have my Yoke.

New guys can see pictures if you scroll back a few months.

At the moment I have been going down to the track with my son's TC3, just experimenting with it and learning a few things. He won the National championship with it again this year, but somehow i just feel the Yoke handles better, and I am therefore playing about trying to improve the TC3.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #1768
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NightKidZ
Trips : Hmm how did you get so much droop into your car (6.5 front and 7 rear)??? You're running the long shock ends? Wouldn't running so much droop cause the car to become "lazy" and slightly unpredictable at the limits?
Sorry, I should have chosen a better wy to phrase that... I didn't say the car could lift 6.5 in front and 7 in back, I said it could lift TO 6.5 in front and 7 in back, so there's actually 1.5mm of droop in front and 2 in back (lifting to 6.5 and 7mm from a ride height of 5)

Hope that clears it up...

Trips
Old 07-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #1769
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by kinoshita
err... Whats jap long life rubbers? how do I tell? is it written on the package?
We had to find out ourselves, if you ask your supplier if the tyres are "Long life Jap foam rubber" they should be able to tell you.
"JAP" is a generic term for the foam used.
I think the EFRA foam tyres are long life ones, also some of the Frewer and the Ellegi range are the longer life tyres
Old 07-18-2002, 12:33 AM   #1770
Tech Apprentice

oic, thx for the info.
kinoshita is offline   Reply With Quote