R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2002, 11:47 AM   #1666
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Big Dog R: Thanks for the setup sheet. It's another great reasource.

STLNLST: I really like the Special. I race strictly stock on ashpalt, and I have found that this chassis really works for me. I used to run the Pro, but the Special with dual one ways "just works". Comparing the two, I found that the Pro needed to be run much stiffer than the Special.

I live in Maryland, so when it gets hot, it really gets hot here. I don't see the relationship between heat, and how the chassis works.

Concerning a new chassis... I'm not necessarily looking forward to a new chassis. I really like the way the Special works. Also, I have the feeling that Yokomo will go back to saddle packs, and I just don't want to go back to that again.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 PM   #1667
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I know that for me, saddle packs mean a car I will never buy. There are just too many good alternatives out there that use normal packs, and saddle packs are too much of a hassle. A car would have to be damn good before I'd go back to them...
Old 05-29-2002, 04:03 PM   #1668
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geppetto
STLNLST: I really like the Special. I race strictly stock on ashpalt, and I have found that this chassis really works for me. I used to run the Pro, but the Special with dual one ways "just works". Comparing the two, I found that the Pro needed to be run much stiffer than the Special.
Gepetto,

I jsut got a Special and I'm finding it way unstable and almsot scary to drive compared to my Losi. Would you mind sharing your setup so I can try something that will work?

Thanks,

Trips
Old 05-29-2002, 04:27 PM   #1669

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Thanks man. Do you think it would be worth $250? I've never heard of that version so i didn't know much about it.
I would say no more than 150. For 250 you can buy a brand new special, which is a newer car. I'm assuming he is just trying to sell you a used rolling chassis without electronics?

Trips -

Quote:
Trips, you might want to try the camber link mods. If you haven't heard of them, what you do is use a ballstud on top of the kingpin int he front castor blocks (part number ZR-007) Most people use the outer hole on the tower to mount the link when using this mod.

In the rear, you cut a bit off the top of the rear hubs and mount the ballstud vertically, again probably using the outer hole on the tower...I forget how much you are supposed to cut off.
Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #1670
Tech Master

He said he built it for somebody but the guy never showed up to get it. He said it is brand new and never had electronics mounted in it.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #1671

Well if you are into collecting that sort of thing then it might be a good buy but for $264.99 at www.speedtechrc.com you can get a brand spanking new MR-4 TC Special which is newer than the pro/worlds found on the Barry Baker edition.

Speedo
Old 05-29-2002, 07:48 PM   #1672
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

[

I live in Maryland, so when it gets hot, it really gets hot here. I don't see the relationship between heat, and how the chassis works.

Concerning a new chassis... I'm not necessarily looking forward to a new chassis. I really like the way the Special works. Also, I have the feeling that Yokomo will go back to saddle packs, and I just don't want to go back to that again. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad to see if working for you. Too many people out this way have been struggling for months with the car. Can you post your set up so that I can give it to them and hopefully get the car somewhat consistent
Old 05-29-2002, 08:11 PM   #1673
Tech Adept

Default My MR-4TC Pro

Just got through racing this past weekend. The field consist of TC3's, HPI's, my MR-4TC Pro and an Associated Pan Touring car. The Lap times range from 10.2 to 12.6 sec a lap on a mid size track. The Pan Touring car was much faster that us and he was running just a 19T Chemelon motor while everyone else where using 11 to 17 turn motor. Because of the track lay out speed was not an issue handling and driver skill was. I did well with my MR-4TC Pro until the A-Main. My 4 month lay off showed. But I've been happy with my car. I ran six laps in the 10.4 to 10.8 sec range.
Set up
Orange springs F/R
Mid Sway bar F/R
2400 Batteries
No One-way
Pro-line H-13 Tires
Orion 11x2 motor
21T pinion
Protoform 300m Body
The Body Shop
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:26 AM   #1674
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Trips: When I first got my Special I had the same problem. I couldn't keep the rear end planted, and just getting around the track was a challenge. When I discovered that the setup was/is completely different than that of the Pro, I was able to make it work.

I'm sure that I have my setup written down. I'll have to find it. Generally though, Sorex 28r w/Yokomo medium inserts, Yellow springs with 60 wt. oil & piston #3 all around, brass colored lower front sway bar no sway bar in the rear, 5mm front & rear ride height, 2 degree rear toe, 0 front toe, dual one ways, Reedy MVP w/25 pinion, 78 spur. I'll have to find my sheet to give additional details.

In the meantime, here's my latest body paint scheme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc dell bmw 5.jpg (84.2 KB, 116 views)
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:08 AM   #1675

Dude, you've got a Dell!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 PM   #1676
Tech Addict

For those of you who have the TC not the special how much does your car wiegh? and how did you lighten them?

i myself have a stock tc with the aluminum arms, i cut the braces that are in the aluminum arms and i cut out the part under the motor. i wanna know how much lighter i can go and where to cut.
Chris@WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:25 AM   #1677
Tech Elite

Gepetto,

Thanks for the reply. I'm heading in the same direction you are with the setup... I put the 2 degree rear toe parts on, and I'm leaving the oneways until I can see how the rear toe has effected the car.

I've got a ball diff for the front and a fixed center pulley, but I'll hold off on them for now, as I think the 2 degree rear toe should really tame the twitchiness.

The other thing I'm looking at doing is running the inner hingepins in the high roll center positions and going to soft springs, like blues or blacks. We'll see.

Sure would be nice to have droop screws...

Trips
Old 06-05-2002, 02:50 PM   #1678
Tech Elite

I'm interested in trying the Tosolini steering mod, but I'm having a hard time finding the kingpin ball studs. Kentech's Yokomo page lists them as ZR-007R, no one seems to have them or has heard of them.

Anyone know where they're available?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2002, 03:56 PM   #1679
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Try calling or e-mailing Yokomo USA. They will probably sell directly to you.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:03 PM   #1680
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Billy at Speedworld had them- does he have anymore Mo?

How's your racing been lately Mo? Haven't seen you around very much...

Did you see the setup I put on the other thread for you Trips?
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote