Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread >

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

I can't honestly say even what the effect of doing both is, because I made the change in the middle of the week, along with several other changes and the car was simply faster (it isn't now though) My "theory" is that is reduces the initial roll moment, alowing you to run softer springs and oil. It is very possible I'm completely wrong, but I have nothing else to go on

Probably last carpet race for me in two weeks, then might do an ashfault race before I get back into off-road.

Speedo
Old 04-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We got some of the new Yokomo 190mm Dodge stratus body in stock right now, and the MR-4TCSP kit. Also we got the new Integy Lazer Tweak Station and the Alignment tools (and carrying case) in stock right now!

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 04-06-2002, 01:02 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Well, I did the modification to the front of the car, but not the rear yet. We'll see how it works the way it is. I am running mo's setup with the exception of springs (I have green front, yellow rear) and the rear camber mod. Guess we'll see how it works tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Let us know how it goes, though I am pretty much stuck with the mods. You should try a softer spring in the front, it really works.

Speedo
Old 04-06-2002, 11:30 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Uggh, I wish I could say I had a great day, but such was not the case.

With the Yokomo, the first round I went out there with brand new tires and no traction sauce on them, and the thing was too loose to drive for half the race, so it was a rather terrible qualifying time. By the second half of the race, my car was hooking up pretty well though. mo's setup was really dialed (though I was not running the rear camber mod, just the front).

I made a huge mistake before the second round in taking out my Green 3 and trying a new motor. Had a newly trued P2K2 with new brushes and everything, geared at 7.19. About 1/3 into the heat, the motor started slowing, and let go near the end. First time I've had/seen a P2K2 go down like that. D'oh. I still managed a run that landed me on the bubble for the A.

Third round, tried an MVP. Speed was up, but about 30 seconds into the race, one of the universal joints ejected the pin into the carrier and locked my drivetrain. So that was that, and I was quickly bumped from the A.

B main, I was TQ. Speed was OK, car was dialed, everything else was good. But I got punted off the track on the start and had to fight my way out of last. To much traffic and I think I ended up 3rd or so. By that time I was more concerned with how the car was handling, and although it was still slower than the high-A cars, it was driving VERY well. It was really a shame that I didn't get a good qualifying run because the car could have definitely been competitive. Oh, and I was smart enough to take an extra lap after the race 'cause I was having fun battling a guy, and guess what? Same pin ejected on the same universal, 'cept it was one I borrowed, so I felt pretty dumb. I don't mind wrecking my own stuff but I hate doing it to other people!

I did OK in Mod with the Losi considering that I had never run foam before -- and it showed. In the very first heat I had a tire go on me in the back straightaway, I was high-revving near top speed and suddenly the car just flipped around. Oops.

In the Mod A main I was running third about halfway through when my ESC blew the capacitor -- that was something new as well. The car lurched into a wall, with a shower of sparks coming out the back. I was thinking, "so much for that Fantom 10 double..." before I realized what had happened. I still had throttle but a marshal had picked up my car, so I lost about 15 seconds while I yelled at him to put it back down, and continued on my merry way. It was still fun though. Everybody should give foam mod on carpet a try at some point.

Anyway, there's my race report. I also picked up TQ in Stock Truck, in an old Associated T3... the first time I had ever even driven a truck, let alone raced. So that was reasonably cool. I think I was totally sandbagging though, I felt bad, since the competition was mainly kids & teenagers.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

hi guys! what tires have you been using with the yoke except the yoke tires of course!

we run on a hot asphalt surface!
Old 04-07-2002, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Well, I am quite amazed with the Special. I bought it in December because I could not get my Pro 3 to work on the carpet track. Took a little while to get used to the one-ways, and the car in general. I did well with it on the carpet.

Yesterday started the outdoor parking lot season. I was hoping to use the Yok in stock, as it is faster and more efficient than the Pro 3.

Conditions were bad, only 50 degrees out and very windy. Everyone had traction problems. I did ok traction wise by using a set of Sorex 20r's I had that I did not like on carpet.

Well, I won the A-main. I am really pleased with this car.

I had set up the car a little too soft, which worked out good for as cold as it was, but I think I can stiffen it up some for the next race.

I ran a new Orion Core Stock motor, and it was incredably fast. My gearing was 81/31.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Congrats for Surikarn from Thailand, finished 2nd :

Pre Worlds Result:

1. Atsushi Hara (HPI)
2. Surikarn Chaidajsuriya (Tamiya)..... WOW
3. Masami Hirosaka (Yokomo)
Old 04-07-2002, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

where did you get that report? haven't heard of a pre world's race
Old 04-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by maski
where did you get that report? haven't heard of a pre world's race
heat results : check rczone.net...... final results : live from Surikarn's father
Old 04-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

actually, Surikarn won the race last december at Hong Kong where Hara placed 3rd and Baker (tc3) 7th.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Yup.... Surikarn 1st, Miura 2nd and Hara 3rd at HKG International Cool.......
Old 04-07-2002, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

How do you blow a capacitor on your speed control? I've only seen speed controls go. Must have been cool to see sparks coming out the back though

If/when you do the rear mod, be very careful to get the holes in the exact same place (hieght, position). The first set I did the holes were off a bit and when I replaced them with a better set the car felt alot better.

That would be another thing to play around with (more work)...I might make up several more sets of rear hubs with the ballstud at different heights...

Speedo
Old 04-07-2002, 11:28 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Yea, I am not going to try the rear mod until I have a few extra sets to play around with. I was already hurting for Yokomo parts on Saturday, when I stopped running the Worlds car 6 months ago I dumped off a lot of my extra stuff.

The capacitor thing was weird, I had never seen anything like it. We had a good amount of debris on the carpet at the time though, so I'm thinking that something like a staple, screw or small bit of conductive material got inside the chassis and shorted out the capacitor. That's really the only thing I could think of.

I love racing at big races. Every time I do it, it just reminds me of how much I have yet to learn and do in this hobby.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

do you guys prefer to use the hardened one-way? the light weight seem to flatten fast. any belt slippage? like to know also when do you replace it, when you experience belt slippage or the pulley has somewhat flattened already!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.