Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lowspark
  • 1 Post By Mugenyute

Tekno RC SCT 410.3 Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tekno RC SCT 410.3 Motor??

So Ive been in the market for a new car, I live in South Florida and the offroad scene is very lively down here. I decided to get the Tekno SCT but want some recommendations on a good motor ESC combo.

All feed back is very much appreciated as usual.

Have a good day guys!

(Im looking to get into racing and fool around a bit in the yard lol)
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenyute
So Ive been in the market for a new car, I live in South Florida and the offroad scene is very lively down here. I decided to get the Tekno SCT but want some recommendations on a good motor ESC combo.

All feed back is very much appreciated as usual.

Have a good day guys!

(Im looking to get into racing and fool around a bit in the yard lol)
I am on a 150 straight and gofrom the 4800kv hobbywing to 4000kv hobbywing motor drop my motor and batter temps by huge numbers (using a 2s lipo)and I have no problem keeping up with the nitro cars on the straight.
pinion you can fit is a 14 tooth.
Small track (50-100 ft straight)
3600-4000 kv 13-16 tooth pinion
4400-4800 kv 12-15 tooth pinion
5000-5400 kv 11-14 tooth pinion
Medium track (100-150 ft straight)
3600-4000 kv 15-18 tooth pinion
4400-4800 kv 14-17 tooth pinion
5000-5400 kv 13-16 tooth pinion
Large track (150-200 ft straight)
3600-4000 kv 16-19 tooth pinion
4400-4800 kv 15-18 tooth pinion
5000-5400 kv 14-17 tooth pinion
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-3-thread.html
Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have the same SCT and use the RX8 Gen2 and the 4300HD.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run the same Tekin Gen2 RX8 with a 4300HD 15t pinion

Last edited by orlandocrawler; 09-17-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 09-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Really appreciate the feedback fellas. I hear alot about the RX8 Gen 2 so i might be going with that.

Also, how do you guys like this truck over the TLR TEN 3.0?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You'll love the tekno... see the current set-up that came out last Dec I believe.

Go with the RX8 Gen 3.... and motor is a choice... I run the Pro4HD 4300 and it is a brute. I have my punch turned down to 6 and a little bit of neg expo on the throttle.. I run a 17th pinion on mine. Large indoor track (32 sec laps).

TLR TEN 3.0... what's that??? A new Traxxas 4wd ???
a1 likes this.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To throw a wrench in the works...when I was considering getting this truck, I wanted to put a 1/8 scale motor in it. And hey, why not get the truggy motor, since it costs the same as the buggy motor. (Okay guys, JOKE!)

But if you don't want something that looks as "cheaty" as a 1/8 motor in a SCT, you could spring for the T8i. It is a 550 can motor, which means same diameter as the Pro4 HD. The difference is that it is anodized black, and it is longer...so more power. (And more cooling due to more surface area?)

I mean, the Pro4 HD is already cheating, so why stop there?

But if you want to go by the book and compete in ROAR sanctioned events, you gotta stick to a 540 can, like the regular Pro4 motor.

(The pro4 HD 4300 is a strong motor, I had one awhile back. Don't be deceived; it is plenty strong for SCT. You'll be happy with a Pro4 HD in any KV.)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenyute
Really appreciate the feedback fellas. I hear alot about the RX8 Gen 2 so i might be going with that.

Also, how do you guys like this truck over the TLR TEN 3.0?
Tekin has a really good warranty on their ESC's and excellent service, you won't be disappointed with the brand. I'm currently running a HobbyWing Pro SCT ESC and Tekin Pro4 HD 4300kV with a 16T pinion... I honestly think that's too much gear for the motor and will be dialing back to a 15T pinion next race day. Be sure to also invest in a temp gun and get into the habit of regularly checking your temps after every run with the following general limits to get the longest life of your equipment:

Battery < 120°
ESC < 140°
Motor < 160°

Here's the temp gun I like to use:
https://www.harborfreight.com/non-co...ter-93983.html

More guys in my area are switching over to the HobbyWing 4000kV motor:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...100010/p279102

It's not as powerful as the Tekin which provides cooler temps and better efficiency with longer run times and smoother control which in turn offers better lap consistency. I've actually had to dial back the EPA on my throttle to 65% on our 1/10 turf track, and around 90% EPA on the large 1/8 track. With too much power, Tekno's will tend to have nose dive issues and significantly shorten the lifespan of your battery packs. Expect a 60C pack to last around 6 months and most 100C packs are lasting around 1 year for me lately before they start to swell and lose punch.

Comparing Tekno to Losi is splitting hairs... both are about equally competitive and equally durable, but Tekno offers a few more tuning options and provides parts support for their original release legacy platforms. I also believe Tekno offers the best Setup Guide on the market too:
http://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/up...t_Up_Guide.pdf

The single biggest advantage that Tekno has is their Low Frequency springs are second to none offering the best traction characteristics for a far wider range of tire choices.

My SCT410.1 is still running almost all original plastic parts and is approaching 4 years old... only regular maintenance for worn parts has been bearings and pin replacement on the rear center shaft. Very seldom have I had to replace pins anywhere else and all my outdrives are original from the kit... when it comes to Losi, their parts tend to wear more quickly and their plastic tends to generate more slop when compared to Tekno. Just visit your local track and hold each brand side by side and wiggle the wheels around and compare setup options... also study the ackermann geometry between cars, etc...

Here's the pin replacement tool that I use:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...gb0541/p221425

I also order my 3x13mm pins in bulk off eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-Steel-...72.m2749.l2649

All of my shafts are original from the kit except an upgraded aluminum front/center shaft.

Last edited by billdelong; 09-18-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lowspark
You'll love the tekno... see the current set-up that came out last Dec I believe.

Go with the RX8 Gen 3.... and motor is a choice... I run the Pro4HD 4300 and it is a brute. I have my punch turned down to 6 and a little bit of neg expo on the throttle.. I run a 17th pinion on mine. Large indoor track (32 sec laps).

TLR TEN 3.0... what's that??? A new Traxxas 4wd ???
LMAO. yeah the tekno seems more for me.

The feedback is well appreciated guys!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong
Tekin has a really good warranty on their ESC's and excellent service, you won't be disappointed with the brand. I'm currently running a HobbyWing Pro SCT ESC and Tekin Pro4 HD 4300kV with a 16T pinion... I honestly think that's too much gear for the motor and will be dialing back to a 15T pinion next race day. Be sure to also invest in a temp gun and get into the habit of regularly checking your temps after every run with the following general limits to get the longest life of your equipment:

Battery < 120°
ESC < 140°
Motor < 160°

Here's the temp gun I like to use:
https://www.harborfreight.com/non-co...ter-93983.html

More guys in my area are switching over to the HobbyWing 4000kV motor:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...100010/p279102

It's not as powerful as the Tekin which provides cooler temps and better efficiency with longer run times and smoother control which in turn offers better lap consistency. I've actually had to dial back the EPA on my throttle to 65% on our 1/10 turf track, and around 90% EPA on the large 1/8 track. With too much power, Tekno's will tend to have nose dive issues and significantly shorten the lifespan of your battery packs. Expect a 60C pack to last around 6 months and most 100C packs are lasting around 1 year for me lately before they start to swell and lose punch.

Comparing Tekno to Losi is splitting hairs... both are about equally competitive and equally durable, but Tekno offers a few more tuning options and provides parts support for their original release legacy platforms. I also believe Tekno offers the best Setup Guide on the market too:
http://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/up...t_Up_Guide.pdf

The single biggest advantage that Tekno has is their Low Frequency springs are second to none offering the best traction characteristics for a far wider range of tire choices.

My SCT410.1 is still running almost all original plastic parts and is approaching 4 years old... only regular maintenance for worn parts has been bearings and pin replacement on the rear center shaft. Very seldom have I had to replace pins anywhere else and all my outdrives are original from the kit... when it comes to Losi, their parts tend to wear more quickly and their plastic tends to generate more slop when compared to Tekno. Just visit your local track and hold each brand side by side and wiggle the wheels around and compare setup options... also study the ackermann geometry between cars, etc...

Here's the pin replacement tool that I use:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/mugen-s...gb0541/p221425

I also order my 3x13mm pins in bulk off eBay:
100 x Steel Dowel Tension Roll Pins 3mm Dia 13mm Length Silver | eBay

All of my shafts are original from the kit except an upgraded aluminum front/center shaft.
Woah thats some real good info. Thanks for the tips about the temp gun, wouldve overlooked that one
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got the Tekno. I can't wait to get my body, wheels and pinion to get some testing done. As some have said there is lots of setting options over the TLR. I had originally looked at the TLR, but I'm happy with my choice now.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My next short course motor
Attached Thumbnails Tekno RC SCT 410.3 Motor??-motor-1.jpg  
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

May have to bump up to a 3s lipo .....