R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RTRs

I used to race buggies when I was kid and have been thinking about getting back into doing some casual racing at some of the tracks in the area (just moved here). I don't have the time or inclination to build a kit, though I am capable. I understand that rtrs have their draw backs but I'm trying to figure out what the best one to get would be. I'm not really into bashing though. I really like the look of the SCTs and I checked with the local tracks already. 2s indoors for the winter and unlimited battery outdoors (most electrics were running 3s a few ran 4s). I'd like to be able to upgrade whatever I get. It seems some of the rtrs don't have the capacity for that. I'd be open to a buggy, if it's a better option.
So what I'm looking for: 4x4, 2-3s, upgrade parts availability , and moderately competitive.
What should I get?
Losi Tenacity (no upgrades?!)
TRaxxas Slash 4x4 (Ultimate?)
Team Associated pro SC10
Other suggeestions????
Adrift_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
Tech Adept

I used to say the Losi Troy Lee SCTE was the RTR winner, but the replacement Tenacity does not look as racey.

Maybe look at the Arrma Senton? Biggest drawback will be the stock 4s power. You will need a proper 2s SCT motor for indoor season.

I have the Arrma Typhon (buggy) and Kraton (Truggy) and club race them some - mostly track-bash. Great cars, tough, and pretty racy for RTR.

Another option - buy used ARR from the classifieds here. Yesterday there was a Tekno SCT410.3 with everything but remote for $420. Even had spare parts and extra tires. Great deal.
JerryRigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't buy a slash....NOT track worthy at all and Traxxas is tooo much about there profits margins then happy customers.
I know all you traxxas fans hate me but its true!
Look around ebay and see what there is .......
just remember that buying used off there is not always the ticket..
Lots of those cars have been abused and have under laying issues.
The Losi mentioned above is a sold car...while more expensive it will do what you are asking for.
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Tech Adept

There aren't really very good 4x4 RTR solutions, I think. Buying a used racer wouldn't be a bad solution since you don't want to do the build yourself, though there's always the chance for duds... but you could ask around at the local track, someone might have something suitable for sale, and you could even try it out before buying, something you can't do with online purchases obviously... but buying from a well-rated seller on this site should be relatively safe and there's more to choose from.
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been modding as I go with a basically new Arrma Typhon V2 buggy, this year. It only sees track use and has totally surpassed my expectations of what I thought it would be, even when it was stock. I have no problem hanging with anyone in my class with that car. That would have to be the best RTR buggy, or perhaps the new 8ight RTR. A few guys at my track have that and do pretty decent.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Buy the ARRMA
parts are cheaper and its a way tougher rig.
If you do I will say this again,,......
Shim the diffs if you are planning on 6S abuse!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
Buy the ARRMA
parts are cheaper and its a way tougher rig.
If you do I will say this again,,......
Shim the diffs if you are planning on 6S abuse!
For SCT track running he will be running 2s or 4s. My Kraton is about 2 years old, mostly 4s running, the diffs (never shimmed, oil changed 3x a year or so) are finally wearing out. So while they are not "forever-diffs", they last a long time box stock. They do have a bit of play, though. So a Tekno diff shim kit is not a bad idea.

The Senton is a short-arm Typhon. Two minor drawbacks as an SCT - heavy for the class and 17mm hubs. Depending on the track, they may let you run buggy wheels, if not you will be glueing all your tires, as there are only a few 17mm SC rims made. As for the weight, at a club level on 2s, I bet it will not really matter. On 3s-4s, it will not matter at all.
JerryRigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

I have a Senton
its a bruiser and will need 4s due to its weight
Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go to your local track and see what others are running. Visit the local hobby shop and see what they handle. Ask if the shop offers a build service if you buy the kit. If the shop doesn't offer that, they may know of a local racer that does that to make some extra money. Locally our shop offers the build service and one local racer offers the build service as well. Usually around $60 or so, they build your kit and help you get going.
PorTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
a1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrift_in_IL View Post
I used to race buggies when I was kid and have been thinking about getting back into doing some casual racing at some of the tracks in the area (just moved here). I don't have the time or inclination to build a kit, though I am capable. I understand that rtrs have their draw backs but I'm trying to figure out what the best one to get would be. I'm not really into bashing though. I really like the look of the SCTs and I checked with the local tracks already. 2s indoors for the winter and unlimited battery outdoors (most electrics were running 3s a few ran 4s). I'd like to be able to upgrade whatever I get. It seems some of the rtrs don't have the capacity for that. I'd be open to a buggy, if it's a better option.
So what I'm looking for: 4x4, 2-3s, upgrade parts availability , and moderately competitive.
What should I get?
Losi Tenacity (no upgrades?!)
TRaxxas Slash 4x4 (Ultimate?)
Team Associated pro SC10
Other suggeestions????
Look for a "rtr" in the classifieds here. You will get more for your dollar.
a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I don't think the Senton is the best choice if he is trying to stick to SCT rules. Most tracks require 2s for racing... the Senton's 2050kv motor will be very slow on 2s. Also the 17mm wheel hexes are not allowed in most SCT racing. If the OPs tack has no electronic/wheel hex requirements then the Senton would be ok.

Out of the 3 the OP listed I would go with the Losi or SC10. No reason a good driver with the tenacity shouldn't keep up with most people on the track. Unless you race at a pro filled track. The 3800kv 550 motor packs a good punch. Just upgrade the servo and the turnbuckles.
JatoTheRipper and AJH387 like this.
Zinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

that sounds good to me
we have sc10's and have for 10 years about and they are good trucks and cheap a heap to fix
Old 09-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
Don't buy a slash....NOT track worthy at all and Traxxas is tooo much about there profits margins then happy customers.
I know all you traxxas fans hate me but its true!
Look around ebay and see what there is .......
just remember that buying used off there is not always the ticket..
Lots of those cars have been abused and have under laying issues.
The Losi mentioned above is a sold car...while more expensive it will do what you are asking for.
Step 1. Don't listen to monsterbrad. Look at his posts and you'll see he's anti-Traxxas and pro Arrma. Neither brand is good for the track.

Step 2. Go to your local track and see what they are racing.

Step 3. Come back here and share your results and we will be able to give you more educated information!
Leaf Spring Mafia - Member #1
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leafspringmafia
https://www.facebook.com/LeafSpringMafia
https://www.instagram.com/LeafSpringMafia
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Step 4: read all you can and make a educated decision!
they will all break at some point.
To make this simple there are NO good race cars and bashers combined!
END of story!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My reasoning for my suggestion is if you are looking for the RTR that is going to get you the closest performance to a kit vehicle, I'm not sure if there is a SCT out right now that is that close. The old Losi, like Jerry said was right there. I thought the new one (Tenacity) was a lot more like a Slash level machine? Not saying that it is bad, but I just think if you want a RTR that you can drop down on the track and still hang, I'd go with 1 of the 2 buggies that I suggested. I see it every week. Those 2 vehicles need very little and can run with that class as-is and can also be modded as you go. But if you are set on a SCT, then prob AE or Losi, like mentioned.