R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   17.5 ESC and Motor thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/997571-17-5-esc-motor-thread.html)

kunemlavat 09-10-2017 06:44 PM

17.5 ESC and Motor thread

Hey wanted to talk about the different esc's and motors 17.5 for 1/10 2wd buggy offered today.

From the Hobbywing combo for $100

To the Orion for $400+

Differences?
In between options?

Reliability
Consistency
Power output
Programmability
Ect..

Happy posting!

Ty Owings 09-10-2017 06:52 PM

Hobbywing is the best that i've ran. They are way affordable and the adjustablilty is endless. In my opinion the XR10 pro is great for mod and the XR10 pro stock is the best for a spec class.

Schuurspeed motors are extremely fast. I run the v3 Signature short stack 17.5t in my 22 4.0 and T5m and it is very fast and has little to no fade. Check out the schuurspeed website and they have a bunch of different options that you can add.

Hobbywing/Schuurspeed is the stock nats and surf city classic champion.

Check it out!

kunemlavat 09-10-2017 07:03 PM

Nice I'll check those out!

I was also looking at the Maclan MMAX pro and team edition mmr 17.5 motor.

Anyone run this set up?

kompressor 09-10-2017 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ty Owings (Post 15026028)
Hobbywing is the best that i've ran. They are way affordable and the adjustablilty is endless. In my opinion the XR10 pro is great for mod and the XR10 pro stock is the best for a spec class.

i agree with this but for a motor you need a trinity monster MAX

Cain 09-11-2017 11:41 AM

I'll get a chance to test the MMax here in probably 2 weeks, however from what I am reading its good.

The MMR Regular edition motors from maclan I think benefit from the higher torque rotor that is an option you can buy. I like the powerband after the change but they are more RPMish. I an't comment on TE ones though but I heard they are better than standards.

I am currently using the Motiv MC2 Mcode motors in my 2wd buggy (17.5) and 4wd buggy (13.5 in full mod class) and they are excellent, extremely high torque motors.

Rb4276 09-11-2017 03:50 PM

Anyone ever run the new Associated Reedy Blackbox 600Z ESC/Sonic 540-FT 13.5 or 17.5

FPMX772 09-11-2017 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ty Owings (Post 15026028)

Schuurspeed motors are extremely fast. I run the v3 Signature short stack 17.5t in my 22 4.0 and T5m and it is very fast and has little to no fade. Check out the schuurspeed website and they have a bunch of different options that you can add.

Hobbywing/Schuurspeed is the stock nats and surf city classic champion.

Check it out!

What is the main difference between the standard motor and the SS motor? Pros and cons of each

kunemlavat 09-12-2017 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 15026625)
I'll get a chance to test the MMax here in probably 2 weeks, however from what I am reading its good.

The MMR Regular edition motors from maclan I think benefit from the higher torque rotor that is an option you can buy. I like the powerband after the change but they are more RPMish. I an't comment on TE ones though but I heard they are better than standards.

I am currently using the Motiv MC2 Mcode motors in my 2wd buggy (17.5) and 4wd buggy (13.5 in full mod class) and they are excellent, extremely high torque motors.

Yeah I heard a lot of good stuff about the mmr, I'm looking at that one now and also the Orion vortex R10.1 pro.
Any input on the Orion esc?

Cain 09-12-2017 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by kunemlavat (Post 15027564)
Yeah I heard a lot of good stuff about the mmr, I'm looking at that one now and also the Orion vortex R10.1 pro.
Any input on the Orion esc?

sorry don't have any other than its $$$ :lol:

Kelseyrc 09-12-2017 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by kunemlavat (Post 15026040)

Anyone run this set up?

When I ran stock, this is the setup I used. Really smooth powerband and great top end. I would be able to clear jumps that I wasn't able to before. Also, I found the motor to run on the cooler side which meant less fade towards the end of a heat.

I run Maclan MMR motors in all my vehicles and can't say anything bad about them.

EbbTide 09-12-2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by kunemlavat (Post 15026040)

Anyone run this set up?

I run that exact setup in my 2wd buggy and it has been nothing but fantastic on track. Tuning is super simple with the program card, throttle is consistent and smooth and the team edition motor just rips when you gear it right. I am at a 5.5 ish FDR iirc and it's not breaking a sweat on factory timing. Well worth it. Though I'm soon going to replace my Mmax in my 2wd buggy with the Maclan Pico as soon as I try one out in the new eb410.

kunemlavat 09-13-2017 09:29 AM

Great feedback! I'm really leaning towards the mmr. Great reviews and good price compared to other combos

Casper 09-13-2017 10:03 AM

Have to look at the new Tekin RS Pro BE and Spec-R motors.

Nem44 09-14-2017 03:49 PM

i have a certified monster max on its way to go into my B6D i just cant decide what way to go for esc...is it a dumb idea to go wit a "spec" or "juststock" esc? iv looked at everything from Tekin RSX to Reedy 800/1000z to the HB Juststock...just dont really know which way to go...anyone have a opinion on a good match for my Trinity motor?

EbbTide 09-14-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nem44 (Post 15029656)
i have a certified monster max on its way to go into my B6D i just cant decide what way to go for esc...is it a dumb idea to go wit a "spec" or "juststock" esc? iv looked at everything from Tekin RSX to Reedy 800/1000z to the HB Juststock...just dont really know which way to go...anyone have a opinion on a good match for my Trinity motor?

I don't see anything wrong with the justock ESC for any 17.5 I use one happily in my on road with a schuurspeed select. It's just got a minimal BEC and no timing advance. I would prefer something like the Maclan lineup though.