R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default 5mm bullet direct from ESC to battery (need guidance)

Hello all,

Relatively new to the hobby. I've been racing 4x4 short course all season at my local club and I'm loving it. The most popular class at my track is 8th scale e-buggy. Not wanting to feel left out I found a deal for a Tekno EB48.3 that I could not pass up. Now for my question.

My kit is setup to use 5mm bullet connectors from the ESC straight to the hard case track power batteries that I have. I was looking to purchase a few cheaper batteries just so that I have more practice time and use the high end 100c packs on race days. I'm finding that decently priced 4s packs with a hard case and have the open style 5mm bullet connectors are hard to find.

I realize that I could solder on deans or something else but I kinda like the direct connect. I was wondering if there was some type of 5mm female to deans male adapter or if i could solder 5mm female leads onto the new batteries. There seem to be quite the variety of bullet type connectors out there and my search has left me unsure of what I need. Any help would be much appreciated.
dakjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Not sure what you mean with "open style bullet connector". Every single hard case battery I have (and I have 5 different brands/models - a CoreRC, 2 different Reedys, a Turnigy, and a Vampire Racing) all have the same type of 4mm female connector on the battery.
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

How fast can you recharge your current batteries? 2 packs and a good charger can nearly keep you on the track non-stop. I would suggest getting another quality pack over a couple cheaper ones.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would also recommend 2 good packs if you can charge at a sufficient rate between rounds. Practice how you'll be racing.

However I think you can plug 5mm bullets into xt90 female plugs. I don't know if that would be a good idea or not but its an option for you to explore.
Rebuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Seems like I forgot to write all that I was supposed to.

4S batteries usually have 5mm female connectors, but other than the larger diamater are just ye olde female connectors. I've seen some, such as some Turnigy 4S hard case packs, where the connector isn't embedded on the battery but instead at the end of a wire. In any case those are still just regular female connectors. On the Turnigys they're usually 4mm, so basically most 4mm bullet plug would work. Since your ESC already has 5mm plugs, you could get a 4mm to 5mm "reducer" adapter to make the connection.
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakjones View Post

I realize that I could solder on deans or something else but I kinda like the direct connect. I was wondering if there was some type of 5mm female to deans male adapter or if i could solder 5mm female leads onto the new batteries. There seem to be quite the variety of bullet type connectors out there and my search has left me unsure of what I need. Any help would be much appreciated.
I know what you need, but can't find the exact adapter. This is sorta close, but it's 4mm bullets and one is male, where you need 5mm with dual female bullets.

RC Connectors, Deans T Plug Male to HXT 4mm Bullet Adapter, No-Wire, NEW! | eBay

If you have decent soldering skills, just buy a male dean's plug, 5mm female bullets, and some wire and make your own. Just be sure to heat shrink the bullet plugs so there's no chance of them touching something and shorting out.

Also, be very careful when plugging the adapter in. It can be very easy to reverse the polarity with bullet plugs. I'm running 5mm bullets on my ebuggy and make it a habit to triple check my connections every time.
harry697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'd stay away from deans if you already have bullets, no need to introduce another connector into the mix.

If you're going to have mixed bullet sizes, I'd put 4mm on the speed control and put 5mm to 4mm reducer sleeves in your 5mm packs.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-5mm-to-4mm-bullet-reducer-2-ptk-5005/p14566
anthonyscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

promatch sells an adapter that goes from female deans to 5mm bullets, solid one too. Heck, when you buy the batteries using 5mm connections and get the connector for them, its basically that. I ended up just cutting off the balance port connection and using is for when I need a deans connection for racing.

something you can also due, if you have 2S 5mm lipos with a full pass through on the connection (you can look through the 5mm opening on the battery), just run a 5mm male to male connector to connect two of the 2S lipos in series. I did this for awhile in my E truggy at the time to use some 7600mah 2S 5mm lipos I had here. worked well and didn't need a bunch of weird wiring.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Tech Elite

https://tqwire.com/shop/rc-products/tq-double-barrel-4mm5mm-bullet/

Done.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
dtr
Tech Master

You can get many good and inexpensive packs with EC5 connectors those are just 5mm females in a housing, so if the males on your esc are regular straight males you can easily plug them in. Low profile males usually have a wide base for soldering to the wires, those could get too close to each other; in the latter case I'd rather change connectors. Surely you'll find someone at the track or in a hoby shop do help in case you don't feel ready for that.
dtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyscardina View Post
I'd stay away from deans if you already have bullets, no need to introduce another connector into the mix.

If you're going to have mixed bullet sizes, I'd put 4mm on the speed control and put 5mm to 4mm reducer sleeves in your 5mm packs.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...tk-5005/p14566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
https://tqwire.com/shop/rc-products/tq-double-barrel-4mm5mm-bullet/

Done.

I may have misunderstood the OP'S question, but it doesn't appear that he's looking to go from 5mm to 4mm bullets. At least I didn't see any mention of 4mm bullets in his post.

I'm under the assumption that the batteries he's looking at are not inboard. In other words they have wire leads coming out of the battery. The easiest would be a 5mm to dean's adapter. Or just solder 5mm female bullets to the end of the battery leads.
harry697 is offline   Reply With Quote