Search
Like Tree1Likes

Losi vs Tekno vs Axial

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi vs Tekno vs Axial

Hello,

I am a newb to both this forum and to RC's. I have been doing some research and have seen many pro's and con's and have read many forum articles discussing these vehicles. I am not one to buy and regret and work to make an informed decision and probably in time will own all I am looking at.

I have come up with my top 3 choices and keep wavering back and forth between them all.

1. TLR SCTE 3.0

2. Tekno 410.3

3. Axial Yeti Score

All seem to be great in their own form. I am starting out as a basher and there is a local track that my brother in law wants me to race at, but that will come later after I feel confident with my driving as to not miff people at the track.

I want something that will be durable and long lasting. I know there will be regular replacements of certain items, but I don't want to be replacing parts constantly with improved parts. I am looking at a kit not an RTR for this reason. I am also looking to stay with a 4wd as I live in an area that we get snow and will want to play outside.

A little history of me. I have been wrenching on cars for over 20yrs(no I am not that old), building computers for a dozen years or so off an on for personal use. Definitely not afraid to dig in to fix when needed.

I am hoping to learn much more about this hobby and to eventually bring my son into it as well when the time comes. I will thank you all in advance for the knowledge I have gleamed over the last couple months as I have been reading posts before becoming a member and for the coming comments from the members here.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you ever plan on racing it stay away from the Yeti. Its a great basher, but terrible on a track.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tekno is head and shoulders above the rest. I own the Yeti SCORE and the 410.3 and there is no comparison.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 AM
Tech Rookie

I'll second the tekno.

I've had a few losi's (albeit not an scte) but the tekno has impressed me on a whole new level. They're ridiculously durable, an absolute pleasure to build and the support has been excellent for me.

The 410.3 / scte will shine more on a track than bashing but I would have no qualms in bashing mine, its bulletproof, just a waste of an excellent chassis if you only want to bash.

If durability is the key, then for me, it has to be the tekno.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Axial in no offense are scale vehicles and do what they can.
The other 2 are race bred trucks
Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Malazan
Tekno is head and shoulders above the rest. I own the Yeti SCORE and the 410.3 and there is no comparison.
+1 for Tekno... been racing my SCT410.1 for nearly 4 years and running almost all original parts from the kit... only a few minor upgrades and it's still very competitive at the tracks in my area turning lap times faster than most sportsman buggy drivers on our large 1/8 track. Tekno offers the best setup support and still sells legacy parts. Their out drives last the longest out of dozens of brands I've owned over the past 7 years I've been club racing.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What is the terrain like where you will be bashing it? I currently own a Troy Lee SCTE and an Axial Yeti (not the SCORE). A few years ago I owned a Tekno SCT410.1. I concur that the Tekno is amazing to drive indoors and outdoors, and that the build process was enjoyable. However, the Tekno and SCTE experience issues whenever I run in areas with small pebbles. Specifically, small rocks get lodged between the center spur and chassis and tear the gear up. It happened less when I converted the Tekno from a shortcourse into an 1/8 buggy, but it still came up from time-to-time. The Yeti drivetrain doesn't have this issue, but it's ultimately slower on smoother terrain and a lot more expensive to maintain for me based on the way I try to drive it.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The big thing you will notice with the tekno in addition to its track performance is that the parts have a very high quality to them. You don't get quick wear issues I am seeing like I have heard from people who own and love there losi's as that seems to really been the only complaint they say as the handling is great.

If you have concerns about damage to the nylon spur gears, I would get the steel one and if you do happen to snag a rock, don't just keep wailing on the throttle, stop, give it a look see, and clear out the issue. You can also run the buggy body inside and i have heard outerwears may be making one of there shrouds too.

All in all the Tekno vehicle offers a lot of bang for the money. The only thing I personally preferred to get were:

- Alloy hingepin blocks all around, but the very front and Rear 'Front' would be the main ones for durability and tuning options. You can find the blocks for a good price by searching ebay for MT410 hingepin blocks. I got the full set and inserts for like $50 versus about $20+ for each block separately.

- CNC'd hexes. The stock ones are not bad, but if you tighten the set screw that holds them down too much they can break. There is one CNC version that is +1mm offset too and can help with some wheels that have webbing that can rub. I would get those personally.

- If bashing hard, maybe aluminum shock caps.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you intended for racing I'll go for SCTE 3.0. I have SCTE 3.0 and Tekno 410.3 but scte 3.0 got more fastest laps compare to 410.3 not only that but also easy to drive jump flat but the tekno nose dive issue need to control trigger to avoid nose dive i also MOD my battery back to my tekno but still nose dive.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

with the latest setup sheets, for the variety of track conditions I have here, the nose down issue has gone away. I was pretty surprised myself but I haven't had that problem on the tracks where it would happen consistently before, and this is without any battery modifications.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
What is the terrain like where you will be bashing it? I currently own a Troy Lee SCTE and an Axial Yeti (not the SCORE). A few years ago I owned a Tekno SCT410.1. I concur that the Tekno is amazing to drive indoors and outdoors, and that the build process was enjoyable. However, the Tekno and SCTE experience issues whenever I run in areas with small pebbles. Specifically, small rocks get lodged between the center spur and chassis and tear the gear up. It happened less when I converted the Tekno from a shortcourse into an 1/8 buggy, but it still came up from time-to-time. The Yeti drivetrain doesn't have this issue, but it's ultimately slower on smoother terrain and a lot more expensive to maintain for me based on the way I try to drive it.
My terrain would be grass yard, gravel driveway and alleyway and paved sidewalks and streets. Both paved are not smooth at all.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
If you ever plan on racing it stay away from the Yeti. Its a great basher, but terrible on a track.
The Yeti Score caught my eye do to scale realism and the unique solid rear diff. I'm a fan of 1st gen s-series trucks so it fit my solid rear and ifs front for 4x4. Maybe something i will pick up later as i know you cant just own 1 rc.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for the information.

This is the most positive thread I have seen for the tekno.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

I have found the tekno to be out of stock everywhere I have looked for it. Anyone have an idea as to why? Has it become that popular or could they be making a change to the platform?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by montec
I have found the tekno to be out of stock everywhere I have looked for it. Anyone have an idea as to why? Has it become that popular or could they be making a change to the platform?
I can't say this is for sure the reason but right now Tekno is producing a brand new kit so all resources might be going towards getting that put on time. Which would be by the end of September

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.