Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas 2.5 motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Traxxas 2.5 motor problem

I'm sort of a newB.

I have a N rustler with the 2.5. I rebuilt the motor about a week ago, and broke it in and it ran fine.

Then two days ago I fliped it on its back from a 1 1/2 ft tall jump. It wasn't bad at all. Nothing broken. BUT now it will only Idle at half throttle, I've torn the motor down, cleaned it, checked all O-rings and they look fine. The carb settings are: LSN - Flush (factory)
HSN - 3 1/8 turns out
These are "every day" settings I use when putt putting around the yard, and it USED to run great. PLEASE HELP!!! I need my "nitro fix"

ANY input is apreciated. Thanks

Last edited by NRUracing; 01-24-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

only thing i can say is take it to your lhs and let them help you fix it, If it ran before i dont know why it wouldnt now, could be somthing inside??? just my opinion, but i run ele. not nitro, but i have a revo for bashing and never had that problem.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I would but they charge out the A$$ for it.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Did you look inside the carb to see if the slide opens fully?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes the slide opens fully. Thats the only way it will run, well half to idle.

I tore the carb down all the way and cleaned EVERY piece. I did find that there was a grain of sand in the fuel inlet on the HSN. I thought that would be the problem. But it's stil doing the same thing. (will idle at half throttle)
It is about 55 to 60 degrees out side and I know that has something to do with it, but it shouldn't be that bad.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Hmmm?...Do you have the elect start? Is the one way siezed up?
[driving elect start while running]

How much Exp' do you have? Did you check chg all the tubes? fuel tank cracked? Bad clutch brg's? Bent chassis plate, rubbing flywheel? P.S.I. test engine by blowing in carb line and with soapy water & brush ,bubble test Eng for air leaks. What about the Muffler ?

50 or 60 Deg!! No problem. Much of our best summer races are that temp
Last year Winternational Indoor at Red Deer Was said to be near -10 C Deg
Gonna be new venue this year Mar 3,4,5/06 Sick Fast!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by straydog
Hmmm?...Do you have the elect start? Is the one way siezed up?
[driving elect start while running]

How much Exp' do you have? Did you check chg all the tubes? fuel tank cracked? Bad clutch brg's? Bent chassis plate, rubbing flywheel? P.S.I. test engine by blowing in carb line and with soapy water & brush ,bubble test Eng for air leaks. What about the Muffler ?

50 or 60 Deg!! No problem. Much of our best summer races are that temp
Last year Winternational Indoor at Red Deer Was said to be near -10 C Deg
Gonna be new venue this year Mar 3,4,5/06 Sick Fast!!!

I did check all tubes and they seal fine. I did change out my gas tank. Clutch bsg's are exellent. Fairly new chassis, flywheel is free. I didn't test the engine with soapy water, but I did check all O-rings and none were bad. Muffler is sealed at the coupler.

This problem just Baffles me because I've checked and re checked everything. No trash in motor or carb. OWB is fine.

To me there is no logical reason for this problem. But like I said I am not really a new B, I guess I'm a novice. (I know the basics)
Old 01-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Well try leaning it out. Or way rich it? Either way if there is no change tear it down and look head or gskt problems !!!!!HEY!!!!!! I've seen these engines run with WAY loose head bolts! maybe thats it from the landing? Or some unfortunate internal damage. That bubble test is amazing how many leak so many places. My Ez start one way bearing siezed and cauced similar problem.
Don't use Brake cleen to do any cleaning ,took out the little rubber cushions in the Ez start gear, made it rattle.