Wiki Posts
Search

Bashing: Truggy with buggy diffs and tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Bashing: Truggy with buggy diffs and tires

Weird question but if I swap 8ight-e 3.0 diffs (3.307) over to a 8ight-t e 3.0 (3.917) in order to run buggy tires would there be any issues? Geared the same there's less than 1.5mph difference, I could easily make that difference up gearing up and or using smaller / lighter buggy tires.

I just bought a 8ight-e 3.0 and it was sold with an extra sets of complete diffs (3 diffs total; front / middle / rear) and it got me thinking. I'm tired of dealing with heat issues with the larger / wider / heavier truggy tires. Plus buggy tires are cheaper and there's more on and off road tires to choose from.

I don't see I couldn't do this. It's nothing more than running an extended chassis with wider arms.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you would be fine just bolting on some buggy tires; the weight savings being rotating mass combined with less overall traction should be enough to reduce temps~if that's not enough after trying and playing with gearing then run the buggy diffs. (;
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need the buggy pinion gears for the front and rear also. The buggy also uses a smaller center spur gear
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did this to my talion..
It works but remember you can over rev a brushless motor to and cause heat too...
There is a sweet spot
try what you want just check motor temps.....180+ then worry
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you to everyone that has responded so far!

Originally Posted by aspiringracer
I think you would be fine just bolting on some buggy tires; the weight savings being rotating mass combined with less overall traction should be enough to reduce temps~if that's not enough after trying and playing with gearing then run the buggy diffs. (;
I think it would be easier to just swap out diffs and use the same gearing to keep everything simple. And if I'm still within temps I could bump it up a tooth or two.

If I ran truggy diffs, 45/15 on 5.5 tires I would run approximately 45mph.
If I ran buggy diffs, 45/15 on 4.5 tires I would run approximately 44mph.

Originally Posted by Chr1s
You need the buggy pinion gears for the front and rear also. The buggy also uses a smaller center spur gear
Of course I would use front / rear buggy diffs.
As far as the spur I would probably just use the 45T, I don't see a reason to run a 43T.

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
I did this to my talion..
It works but remember you can over rev a brushless motor to and cause heat too...
There is a sweet spot
try what you want just check motor temps.....180+ then worry
I don't see how I could over-rev with what I'm thinking of doing? But yes, will definitely watch temps as that's part of the reason I'm wanting to do this in the first place.

My truggy is maxed out pinion wise due to motor temps and combined with the larger soft badlands ballooning, it's just too hot to run balls out without fear of overheating. I rigged up a dual fan over my motor and that helps lower temps A LOT but those fans could crap out during a run and me not know it and there goes my motor temps!

Last night I found out some disappointing info. I'm running a Mamba Monster 2 w/ a Castle 2200kV and I can't run that setup on the stock 3.0 chassis because the motor wires are too short to reach the ESC.

Where's the banging head smiley when you need it!
*not my pic; found on baronerosso.it*

I don't want to hack up my 3.0 chassis and battery tray to run a battery forward set up and even if I did some members said they had issues with the body fitting properly. Since I'm not racing I'm using a larger 6700mAh 4S SMC lipo. I'm pretty sure I'll have body fitment issues.

The only other option would be to spend almost $160 and buy a 4.0 chassis, 4.0 motor mount, 4.0 battery tray and 4.0 body, which is silly just to mount a ESC and motor properly.

It would be so much easier for me to just run a truggy chassis with buggy diffs, tires and wheels! With the truggy chassis I can pretty much run any size lipo I want. If I want to run a 6S 9200mAh there's PLENTY of room to do so. If I want to run on-road buggy tires to have some fun on asphalt from time to time I can do so without shredding up a pair of expensive badlands. Also I'm using a Vorza ESC hold down mount on my 8ight-T E 3.0. I don't feel comfortable not having something mechanical holding the ESC down to the chassis. So even if I ran a battery forward setup on the 4.0 chassis, there's barely room for the MM2 let alone a ESC mount.

I never thought of these issues before I bought the 8ight-E 3.0. My last buggy was a Vorza. I was able to run any lipo I wanted and it had a factory ESC hold down mount. Had HPI not been sold and now constantly having issues with parts being back ordered I would've went with the Vorza again but Losi parts are everywhere so I'm good to go!

One last thing...would I have ANY issues running the truggy chassis & suspension with buggy wheels and tires?

Last edited by RCsHPI; 07-27-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Castle must have skimped on the wire on your motor. I have an 8 3.0 with a Castle 2200KV motor and Mamba monster and my wires reach the ESC fine.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ta_man
Castle must have skimped on the wire on your motor. I have an 8 3.0 with a Castle 2200KV motor and Mamba monster and my wires reach the ESC fine.
I don't have the buggy yet, that's not my pic.
A few other members in the 8ight-E 3.0 thread have said the same thing too.

Is yours a converted nitro 3.0 or the E model? If it's the E model can you post a pic so I can see how you have your esc mounted.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

I didn't get the buggy today, slow USPS, but my buggy tires were delivered.

I did a test run with them on and wow, the torque/acceleration is insane! It pulls hard ALL the way to max MPH ~39.2MPH~ and handles like its on rails. Even though the truggy topped out at 48.5MPH with the truggy tires it felt so sluggish and clumsy compared to this setup. I'm going to loose some ride height with the buggy tires but the fun factor definitely makes up for it!

Best of all temps were good all around;

ESC: 90-110°F
Motor: 130-140°F fans off / 110-119°F fans on
Gearing: 45/15
4S Lipo: 110-120°F

Now I'm conflicted about doing the diff swap. I'm going to bump up to a 17T pinon and see how that runs. I really want to be in the mid/upper 40MPH just for fun. If the temps start to climb too much I'll do the buggy diff swap to gain some top end.

Same 45/15 gearing with the buggy diffs I'll gain 6MPH and that will put me right where I want to be. If the temps are anything like today I'll be good to bump up another tooth maybe two.

Edit: 7/29

Still no buggy yet!

I just did a new run with a 17t pinion and the temps were pretty much the same as the 15t? Top speed was 43.4MPH. *Even though it still pulled hard I could tell the smaller pinion pulled harder.*

Ambient temp/humidity was the same as yesterday so I don't know how the temps stayed the same but I guess the motor liked the gearing.

I'll probabaly drop it to a 16t and see how it runs. If I still notice the torque loss I'm going back to the 15t. I'd rather have the fun torque than top speed, especially when 39.2MPH is still pretty fast.

Last edited by RCsHPI; 07-29-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCsHPI
I don't have the buggy yet, that's not my pic.
A few other members in the 8ight-E 3.0 thread have said the same thing too.

Is yours a converted nitro 3.0 or the E model? If it's the E model can you post a pic so I can see how you have your esc mounted.

Thanks!
It is an original electric model. The rear clip is off for maintenance, but that makes no difference regarding the question at hand.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I Guess Everyone is different... LOL I was looking to go the other way for a while, and put truggy tires on my buggy. I ran a proper truggy for a while (Talion), bashing, then decided I wanted a buggy, and traded for a proper buggy(Typhon)... But quickly realized that for off-road bashing, the truggy was the clear winner. Bigger tires, longer arms, it soaks up ground, floats over grass. Plus the extra mass makes it great for jumping, and this makes skate park jumping loads of fun. The buggy is also fun, but different. Quicker, more nimble, but you can't just go bombing off thru a park, or launch it into a dry ditch.

But, everyone is different, and wants different stuff. That is what makes the hobby fun, right?