R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default tekno sct410.3 winging the A block

So I think I started a internet stir by accident according to talking to a few guys at the track this morning. I have to start this story by backing up a bit and adding a little history. I bought my son a ECX amp build kit for his 9th Christmas to teach him some mechanics and stir some interest in something other than video games. I helped him build it by getting the untapped screws started, but he did most of the work. We had a blast with it and then I decided I had to get one, but wanted an upgrade. After a lot of research I bought the same Amp MT, but put a full metal Transmission and a 4000kv brushless motor in it. To go 25 back years earlier, my first real rc was the Futaba FX-10 that a spent a full Summer cutting grass and saving $ to buy. So not exactly a newbie, I just took a long hiatus. Well, together we caught up with technology and went lipo and started racing at the local track. I knew I was running a yugo with a v8 but didn't care. I was having a blast an still placing in the top 3 on a good day. The time came to get a 4x4 and again, after a lot of research and talking with other racers, I bought a Tekno sct410.3. I knew I was going to punish whatever I got and the durability of these trucks have a bomb proof reputation. We race on a large loose track outside with a monster table top and plenty of obstacles. I built it and it had it's virgin ride on a mountain lake beach in the sand. It lasted all of 3 minutes before I hit the tiniest bit of stone ledge sticking out of the sand in the only vulnerable spot on the front end. I snapped the "A" block. I immediately ordered the aluminum replacement, but it took 2 weeks to arrive. We all know how much time goes in to building one of these and to say the least, the breakdown was a disappointment. I tried plastic epoxy and zip ties, which lasted 30 seconds on the track. I stewed on it all day at work and wanted to fabricate one out of aluminum or corian plastic counter top neither of which I had on hand. I'm a custom builder/woodworker by trade and had a shop full of hardwood scraps. I decided American White Ash wood do the job. I fabricated the piece with the exception of adjustable Toe mounts. I just went with a center mount hole in the Ash. I sent the picture to Tekno and expected some laughs and criticism. The best part is it never broke. Mind you, this is my first 4x4sct with big jumps on the track running a hobbywing 4300 sensored to a xr8 with a 17t pinion. The truck took some serious abuse. The aluminum replacement came in and is installed now. The Ash A block has been saved for coffee talk and memories. The moral of the story is "it's hard to beat a nice piece of Ash".
Attached Thumbnails
tekno sct410.3 winging the A block-img_3350.jpg  
Mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote