New Castle Sensored SCT system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Castle Sensored SCT system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? New Castle Sensored SCT system?

Alright, so I just picked up a slash today and I already hate how slow it is. I am a basher so naturally I already own the castle sct 3800 kv combo for my stampede. However, they have discontinued the sensorless version of this system and have released a sensored version. Now im not a racer, so I usually have stayed away from sensored motors but I love the cc sct platform. I am looking for people to tell me how they like the system and if it is any better or equal to the older version. AND NO I WILL NOT GET VXL. I see dead ones at my shop all the time...
Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Only the motor is sensored, the esc is not. I assume it was cheaper to just make all their new motors a similar, sensored design and only the older ones (they are probably no longer making) are sensorless. Castle has touted their new motor design in both sensored and sensorless modes many times. I personally haven't tried the new motors, but I doubt it will be any worse (and most likely be a touch better) then the old ones. I do quite enjoy my mm2 though and she is quite the beast.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mirkinator
Only the motor is sensored, the esc is not. I assume it was cheaper to just make all their new motors a similar, sensored design and only the older ones (they are probably no longer making) are sensorless. Castle has touted their new motor design in both sensored and sensorless modes many times. I personally haven't tried the new motors, but I doubt it will be any worse (and most likely be a touch better) then the old ones. I do quite enjoy my mm2 though and she is quite the beast.
I did see that the motor is sensored but you would have to buy a new esc, but since I wouldnt be racing I dont think it would be a big deal.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They are just as good as ever. You do not need to run sensored. Just because the motor is sensored does not mean you need to run in sensored mode or even connect the sensor wire. That's why castle discontinued the non-sensor motors... because with the sensored motor you can run either way.

Last edited by Zinergy; 06-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also just a side note, I wouldnt delegate sensored systems for racing only. Now sure, you might not think the extra expense isnt worth it, but I think everyone can agree that if you have a choice for the same price, sensored is preferred. I currently have two sensorless systems and they do what I need, but if I had the choice (and not a single father of 3 kids that suck $$ directly from my wallet somehow) I would go sensored any day.

I know alot of bashers who prefer it in their monster trucks and rock crawlers. It does give better low speed response (no cogging), brakes, "coasting" features and its now the preferred system for Rock crawling. But yes, more expensive and not necessary, but typically preferred.

Last edited by Mirkinator; 06-28-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't think you will get many away from the Traxxas forum recommending the VXL system. Though I've never had problems with the dozen I've got in use. I've only read few things from those using the new Castle system. Haven't heard anything bad.
Have you tried looking on eBay. Wouldn't be suprised if the older systems are still there.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I don't think you will get many away from the Traxxas forum recommending the VXL system. Though I've never had problems with the dozen I've got in use. I've only read few things from those using the new Castle system. Haven't heard anything bad.
Have you tried looking on eBay. Wouldn't be suprised if the older systems are still there.
Well I dont really care if it is sensored or not, I am just trying to find a new combo for a reasonable price that my LHS has.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

The motor is basically the same as before with sensors integrated into the rear. Just as much power, just as much torque, just as efficient. Running it sensorless will be the exact same experience as the older sensorless motor, but will give you the option of upgrading the Mamba X sensored controller if you need better low speed control, a better BEC, or want to use our AUX wire tech for on the fly tuning.