R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Best 1/8 Scale Air Filter (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/99084-best-1-8-scale-air-filter.html)

Cain 01-24-2006 09:51 AM

Best 1/8 Scale Air Filter

What is the best 1/8 air filter setup to use?

This will be on an OS RG engine and possibly a RTR CEN NX26 engine.

Davidka 01-24-2006 02:38 PM

The RG comes with a very nice airfilter. Otherwise, the Mugen airfilter kit can be purchased for under $10. Just be sure to shoe goo the elbow to the housing on the Mugen filter. I found mine to leak very fine dust there.

mattyk6 01-24-2006 02:40 PM

I like the Dynamite 1/8th scale filters. Less than $10 for the kit.

Cain 01-24-2006 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to go with the mugen, should I also pickup some spare foam elements as well or do they wash out pretty well?

Casper 01-24-2006 03:50 PM

Spare foam is pretty cheep. Depending on how dirty they get you can wash them out but replacing them is pretty cheap also. Make sure you buy some air filter oil for the outer foam element as you will need to oil the filter each time you washer or replace them.

GregH 01-24-2006 04:28 PM

I only wash the pre-filter, never the main filter. Their cheap enough so I replace the main filter after about 3-4 races and wash the pre-filter whenever it gets dirty enough.

WheelNut 01-24-2006 06:02 PM

I run the HPI filter out of the Savage SS, its great. Filters good, is cheap, and is pretty sturdy.

D_Ames 01-24-2006 06:24 PM

Casper, I thought you weren't supposed to oil the pre-filter. Just the main filter. Am I wrong? :blush:

Casper 01-24-2006 09:04 PM

I always oil the outer filter. Not sure if I am doing it right now. I use the paper filters with my 10th scale and we oil the outer foam? I assumed it was the same for 8th scale. Oil the outer. I just checkd out my xray manual and it says to oil in inner foam. I guess I will start doing that from now on! :blush: That would make more sense!

SpeedBump57 01-24-2006 09:18 PM

Always oil both. :)

WheelNut 01-24-2006 11:44 PM

Another vote for both, more protection for the engine is always good. If you dont oil the filter you cant really tell how dirty the filter is getting without removing the pre-filter either, which is kind of annoying. Its surprising how much dirt gets right through that pre-filter if you dont oil it.

bobf24 01-25-2006 05:13 AM

if you oil the prefilter, then the inner will hardly ever get dirty, but if you dont oil the pre-filter the inner takes all the dirt, i've tried both ways and thats what i found, so i oil both, and only have to clean the pre-filter, i hardly ever have to do the inner,

Casper 01-25-2006 07:25 AM

I think I am going to try a light oil on the pre and a heavier on the inner. I understand the theory (pre gets the big stuff the inner get the fine stuff) but if I can keep the fine stuff from getting that close I am sure the engine will like me! The issue becomes caking up the pre filter to starve the engine of air so I if you oil the prefilter make sure you change it often. I think this depends a little on were you race. If the dirt is really fine I would oil both. If it is just dirt you should be able to get a way with just the inner oiled as this may allow the engine to breath better for longer.

schmidt452 01-25-2006 10:01 AM

A light amount of grease works very well on the ends of the main filter. This helps keep the ends sealed up better.

Dave_S 04-26-2018 11:46 PM

Wrong section