Like Tree7Likes

choosing a truck

Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default choosing a truck

hi guys, new to this, can anyone give me some ideas (can build a kit if needed)

type - truck (monster truck for stability?)
run time - 30 minutes minimum closer to 60 would be better (duel battery if needed, or upgrade battery)
length - 50cm (20 inches) minimum
speed - 30Km/h (20 miles) edited
2WD - yes (must have) edited thanks to tvih (4wd doesn't get me the runtime)
ground clearance - can't be a buggy, must be a truck

price : $500 for truck, $800 for truck battery and radio (although i think i may have to spend more)

usage - dirt tracks (so dust and stability)

Last edited by nazar; 04-13-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: unrealistic requirements
Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

If you are driving at a track, I would get a buggy. What type of track would it be? (outdoor-indoor, 1/10-1/8) You are not going to get 30+ minutes of runtime, although you can change the battery to keep driving. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
If you are driving at a track, I would get a buggy. What type of track would it be? (outdoor-indoor, 1/10-1/8) You are not going to get 30+ minutes of runtime, although you can change the battery to keep driving. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.
thankyou for your responce

1/10 outdoor tracks people walk on or bmx track (still dirt), i live in western Australia so i want to get out and enjoy the sunshine

it is my understanding i can get those runtimes - but when people list their trucks they don't list runtimes, hence i need peoples help from a forum.
unless they are playing a trick with the camera, youtube is getting that runtime
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The size of the battery and how powerful the motor is determines the run time. Also, if you don't film battery changes, you could make a video where the vehicle seems to run forever. So judging run time off of a video length is practically impossible.

Before anyone can begin to suggest a truck for you, you need to let us know how much money you want to spend. Because there are too many options if you can't set a budget.
billdelong and nazar like this.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
Before anyone can begin to suggest a truck for you, you need to let us know how much money you want to spend. Because there are too many options if you can't set a budget.
Doh, good point - hoping to get away with $500 for truck or truck battery & radio $800, but i think i will have to spend more
Old 04-13-2018, 05:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Can get over 30min relatively easily with a 2WD, but 4WD... that's gonna be tricky especially if it's any sort of fast car. 2x2S 8000mAh should get it done, but that sort of weight is gonna throw off the handling of a 1/10 car, they're only meant for a single battery generally. 1/8 cars are heavier and you need 3S or 4S so as not to overheat and those are so sizeable that you can't really do double batteries there either. Youtube videos can be edited however, rarely there's a 30+min single take of driving. I'd really suggest just swapping batteries, it's like a one-minute job or less in most cases anyway.

I haven't timed it exactly but I reckon I can get more than 40 minutes out of my 4WD rock racer (Gmade GOM) with a 6000mAh battery but the speeds are quite slow, using a 2WD SCT stock motor and in general driving in rough terrain instead of fast open terrain. By comparison my 4WD short course truck driven at the outdoor track will suck the 6000mAh battery dry in about 15 minutes.
nazar likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Another simple solution to the runtime is by getting two smaller batteries and charging the second while you're running the first. Depending on the battery capacity, your charger and driving style, the wait time between batteries could be minimal to nothing; you can also continue this cycle as long as you want.

Have you looked into a Slash 4x4? Normally I would hesitate to recommend them, but if you're only looking for ~ 30mph tops then it might be a good truck for you. They just tend to break a lot once they become fast. I can't say this from personal experience, but I've read a lot from reviews and other users.
nazar likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tvih
Can get over 30min relatively easily with a 2WD, but 4WD... that's gonna be tricky especially if it's any sort of fast car. 2x2S 8000mAh should get it done, but that sort of weight is gonna throw off the handling of a 1/10 car, they're only meant for a single battery generally. 1/8 cars are heavier and you need 3S or 4S so as not to overheat and those are so sizeable that you can't really do double batteries there either. Youtube videos can be edited however, rarely there's a 30+min single take of driving. I'd really suggest just swapping batteries, it's like a one-minute job or less in most cases anyway.

I haven't timed it exactly but I reckon I can get more than 40 minutes out of my 4WD rock racer (Gmade GOM) with a 6000mAh battery but the speeds are quite slow, using a 2WD SCT stock motor and in general driving in rough terrain instead of fast open terrain. By comparison my 4WD short course truck driven at the outdoor track will suck the 6000mAh battery dry in about 15 minutes.
@tvih thankyou for your post - runtime is very important to me. so i will change my requirements to 2WD and speed 30KM/h.
what runtime do you think i can get with those changes?
just out of interest, what speed do you get from your rock racer?

Originally Posted by thedonutman
Another simple solution to the runtime is by getting two smaller batteries and charging the second while you're running the first. Depending on the battery capacity, your charger and driving style, the wait time between batteries could be minimal to nothing; you can also continue this cycle as long as you want.

Have you looked into a Slash 4x4? Normally I would hesitate to recommend them, but if you're only looking for ~ 30mph tops then it might be a good truck for you. They just tend to break a lot once they become fast. I can't say this from personal experience, but I've read a lot from reviews and other users.
@thedonutman thankyou very much for your post, have modified my requirements (in about 10 minutes as runtime is important to me (and i do plan to buy more batteries and swap them) but just as important is quality and i don't want things to "break a lot" - thankyou very much for saying that as i will stay away from it,
Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Driving style will have an effect on runtime. And overall durability. I’ve taken same truck with same battery and gotten 10 minutes or less. Just running wide open. And gone 25-30 minutes, running a more structured style. Where I’m on and off throttle.
Now if really long runtime is priority, the slow trail trucks might be a direction to look into. I’ve read of 60-90 plus with them. Now drawback is they are not fast. Never meant to be.

nazar likes this.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nazar
hi guys, new to this, can anyone give me some ideas (can build a kit if needed)<br />
<br />
type - truck (monster truck for stability?)<br />
run time - 30 minutes minimum closer to 60 would be better (duel battery if needed, or upgrade battery)<br />
length - 50cm (20 inches) minimum<br />
speed - 30Km/h (20 miles) <b>edited</b><br />
2WD - yes (must have) <b>edited </b>thanks to tvih (4wd doesn't get me the runtime)<br />
ground clearance - can't be a buggy, must be a truck<br />
<br />
price : $500 for truck, $800 for truck battery and radio (although i think i may have to spend more)<br />
<br />
usage - dirt tracks (so dust and stability)
<br />
<br />

Where did you get these specifications from?

What are you really trying to do?

Everything 1/8th scale is 4wd. (Amain did have a 1/8 2wd buggy kit, but it's kind of cheap...)

Monster trucks are NOT stable...they are the opposite of stable. People like them because they're unpredictable and do crazy things.

20 mph is kind of slow

Why do you think you want 1 hour of continuous run time? What's wrong with having 3 battery packs and changing a pack after 10-15 min? RC electronics are designed for closer to 10 min run times; they are not designed for continuous use! They really should be allowed to cool inbetween runs. Continuous use like you seem to be suggesting will most likely lead to damage from excessive heat build up.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fredygump
Where did you get these specifications from?

Why do you think you want 1 hour of continuous run time? What's wrong with having 3 battery packs and changing a pack after 10-15 min? RC electronics are designed for closer to 10 min run times; they are not designed for continuous use! They really should be allowed to cool inbetween runs. Continuous use like you seem to be suggesting will most likely lead to damage from excessive heat build up.
hi fredygump, i didn't want to say it initially because i have read in other forums the negative response to a noob doing FPV. but this is my goal.

i need the truck to be stable to go over bumps, able to go over bumps and mounds without tipping over. it has to go fast enough to outrun a person/kid (hence the 30KM/h) if they seem intent on picking it up.. the slow speed was a hope to get longer battery life.
i want to put on FPV so i don't have to be there and go on tracks and have fun with kids/adults down at the foreshore (going along until some one takes an interest in the RC (so 10-20 minutes isn't going to be long enough)
i wont be going flat out all the time
as far as i know (i live in a tourist town) no-one has a RC down here.
emersion in FPV im told is awesome
sturdy and reliable because i am a noob!!!!

i don't care what the vehicle is, but obviously ground clearance and stable, i figured trucks would be the best to handle the extra weight of the FPV.

now that i have explained, i am wondering if people will still help? this forum and the people are excellent and have helped me so much already
Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Tech Initiate

i've found a truck :yahoo: arty: the truck -
DHK Hunter BL 1/10 Scale Brushless SCT

i need to find a good shop and get everything together that i want.
but in the meantime, can someone point me to a thread that talks about "shops to buy from"
thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nazar
i've found a truck :yahoo: arty: the truck -
DHK Hunter BL 1/10 Scale Brushless SCT
Hey if you've decided on a 2WD SCT and ground clearance is important I'd look at either the ECX Torment or the Traxxas Slash. Both will have better ground clearance and the parts are much more likely to be found at your local shop. The DHK is slung very low and is more of a "race style" SCT.

As far a shops, just google local hobby shops in your area. They are guaranteed to have the Traxxas Slash and almost guaranteed to have the ECX Torment. Horizon will have both if you want an online seller. Or you can just Amazon them. (support your LHS when you can).

Both of those vehicles come in brushed or brushless version and both have "Monster Truck" counterparts in the 2wd Stampede and 2wd Ruckus if you prefer that look. They share quite a few parts across the platforms. I think the ECX might be a better value right now as they come with a Lipo these days.
nazar likes this.

Last edited by trottermtg; 04-16-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trottermtg
Hey if you've decided on a 2WD SCT and ground clearance is important I'd look at either the ECX Torment or the Traxxas Slash.
both trucks look excellent and have high stars, and you make a good point with getting parts

Originally Posted by trottermtg
As far a shops, just google local hobby shops in your area. They are guaranteed to have the Traxxas Slash and almost guaranteed to have the ECX Torment. Horizon will have both if you want an online seller. Or you can just Amazon them. (support your LHS when you can).
regrettably we are 150Km from our nearest RC store - so for me its on-line shopping

thankyou for the extra info, i will definately keep it in mind as i get more into the hobby
Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Traxxas will have a lot more aftermarket parts then the ECX. I would choose Traxxas over ECX always.
nazar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.