Wiki Posts
Search

using taper pins for 1/8 scale

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default using taper pins for 1/8 scale

I searched and really couldn't find a definite answer, I was curious to see what everyone is using for foams.

Obviously the stock foam won't work, so I was considering monster truck foams, cut them in half so I would only have to buy 2 and try to save some money.

Or should I stick with a firm 1/8 scale foam? I would go with a molded insert, but a few guys at the local track said that the foams were shifting and causing the tire to become off balance.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You will want to use a 1/8 foam for sure. I'm supprised to hear that the molded foam shifts. The foam has a raised area to rest in the channel of the rim. You might try some rubber cement on the inside of the tire to bond it to the foam but this can make the foam seem harder. The Proline foam is smaller in volume than the Panther so that might help too.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

I just tried to use 1/8 scale foams and they are not big enough. They don't want to push the center of the tire up so it has a nice round look to it. I think monster truck foams are the way to go.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

I think the Panther molded foams are the way to go. Proline has some out now I beleave.
The reason you molded foams is moving is that you need to put holes in the tires to let the air vent out. The focus is to keep the "tires" from expanding out so the inserts will not move.
Turn you tires inside out and make one wrape with ducktape. Once you do that punch the 4 holes in the tire and then mount them with molded foam.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If you are using taper pins you might do well with a flatter profile (have a look at Panther Switches). You will want max contact patch.
The cut down tapers I have seen were VERY low profile compared to a regular 1/8th tire. You found that a 1/8th foam was too small? What foam were you trying?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

trinity bomb 1

I found that it I get the round profile if I take the stock foams that come with the taper pins and cut them in half.

The panthers don't offer the side bite like the cut tapers I tried last week, the tapers had it because they had a round profile, what I am trying to get. I also found that I had not trimmed the tire enough, that helped alot too.

I guess I'll have to buy a couple sets and experiment with different foams. And about the green panther foams - they have pulled them from the market or something - the guys at my lhs don't have them and can't get them, they said panther might be re-formulating them or something.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I thought they were using monster truck foams in the taper pins. I saw a guy mount a brand new set of panthers sunday at DB's and he got way more hooked up than when he was running his severely worn tapers.

But I don't think he had any better traction than the guys with decent tapers. The cut tapers do have a very, very low profile on the sidewall. I'd like to see some of the new proline tires tried out there also.