Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cHAmpa
  • 1 Post By beidle99

Cleaning E Buggy question

Old 05-22-2017, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Cleaning E Buggy question

I have been running nitro for year but this is my first season to run anything Electric.

I use a simple green / Denatured Alcohol mix with zero water added when cleaning my cars. I coat with SC1 after that and blow any extra off.

Do you removed the motor and ESC and clean them separate or is it safe to clean around them? If you remove them, how do you guys get everything shinny again?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quick cleans.. I just use a compressor to blow all the dirt off.

When I do a complete clean, after I have blown as much dirt off as I can.. I use a wet rag to wipe everything down. I leave the motor and ESC in place.

Then I use these foam swabs and some gun oil "don't laugh".. to go over the car. Plastic is shiny and metal screws clean, won't rust.

I enjoy the process of cleaning my guns and also enjoy the process of cleaning my cars. You pay a lot for them, you might as well keep them looking fresh.
abailey21 likes this.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When mine gets nasty I'll get out my wooden handle wire brush and smack all the loose dirt and mud off, then wipe everything down with a wet towel. Then I blast everything with air. And if I want it to look like new I spray the entire car with WD40 (silicone gray and yellow can) let it sit for a while and blow it down with an air compressor, then wipe it with a dry cloth.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You clean an e-buggy with nitro, of course! :P

Compressed air is a wonderful tool. If you're going to use chemicals either be really careful not to get the electronics or take them out. It's a paint to take out the motor and reset your gear mesh.

Is your green/alcohol mix safe for plastic?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Blow off everything you can. Usually after that I am left with red clay stains all over my car.

I pull the wheels, wing and body off. I spray them all down with Simple Green. Then rinse with water. Should be squeaky clean by then. Then blow dry.

I then take the rest of the chassis over. I spray the front and rear assemblies with Simple Green. Carefully avoiding all electronics. The use the light spray setting on my hose nozzle and wash it all off...again avoiding electronics. Then blow it dry again.

Any other dirt like substance left on electronics housings I will wipe off.

Then I spray all the moving parts and hinges with a quick shot of silicone. Wipe off any excess and it's good to go.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Alcohol wipes work great... toothpicks to pick any grit out of hex heads, and then alcohol wipes.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm bad as far as it goes for cleaning my caRs. Maybe once a month I might give them a good spray with an air compressor, or if they happen to have gotten a lot of mud on them from the wet track I might use a toothbrush to get off excess junk. But most of the time I barely clean them throughout the outdoor season. Are usually clean them up when They get broken down and checked over for the next season. LOL. Unless you have a ton of mud and dirt buildup on it it's probably minimal difference as far as the run, other than maybe in the joints where they pivot for the arms and the shark they get broken down and checked over for the next season. LOL. Unless you have a ton of mud and dirt buildup on it it's probably minimal difference as far as the run, other than maybe in the joints where they pivot for the arms and the shocks.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Is your green/alcohol mix safe for plastic?
I used the same combo for cleaning nitro heli and planes for years. never a problem with plastics.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm away from home at work 6 months a year so every time I leave I take all my race cars with me and they get completely stripped, scrubbed, lubed, and anything that needs to be replaced gets replaced. That way when I come home two weeks later for two weeks of racing it's like completely new spotless cars to trash lol.

Also passes the time while I'm away from the wife and kids and puts my Hudy setup stations to use.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cHAmpa
Quick cleans.. I just use a compressor to blow all the dirt off.

When I do a complete clean, after I have blown as much dirt off as I can.. I use a wet rag to wipe everything down. I leave the motor and ESC in place.

Then I use these foam swabs and some gun oil "don't laugh".. to go over the car. Plastic is shiny and metal screws clean, won't rust.

I enjoy the process of cleaning my guns and also enjoy the process of cleaning my cars. You pay a lot for them, you might as well keep them looking fresh.
But are you cleaning your car with liberal tears bacon scented gun oil?
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Not sure I would use that simple green/denatured alcohol mix. Seems a little strong for the plastic on our RCs. Why not just use one of those and dilute it?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I recommend Q tips + alcohol to wipe away dirt in the cracks and once everything dries (should be fairly quick) blow all the fine dirt out using air spray container typically used for cleaning CPU's. If you have mud cakes that's a different story.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
Not sure I would use that simple green/denatured alcohol mix. Seems a little strong for the plastic on our RCs. Why not just use one of those and dilute it?
simple green is perfectly safe and has been a staple of my cleaning regime for almost 15 years along with probably 98% of guys that clean their cars.
JoeW likes this.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by beidle99
simple green is perfectly safe and has been a staple of my cleaning regime for almost 15 years along with probably 98% of guys that clean their cars.

Hi I wish I can find a step by step video cleaning ebuggy 😁😁😁