Wiki Posts
Search

looking to get into 1/8th scale nitro

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default looking to get into 1/8th scale nitro

Hello everyone, I am looking to get into nitro racing and could use some advice.
I am going to be racing on a 100' x 60' track. Hope this is big enough. Anyways, up until this point I have only raced electric, so I have no idea what to get for nitro. I don't want junk, so to speak. In electric I race a ft t4, ft b4, jconcepts bj4, and a ft tc4. I already have radio gear, so don't need help on that. What I would like is help on a kit (rtr's will not be considered), engine/pipe, and servo's. I don't need exactly the best, but something extremely competitive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-22-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Consideration

Buggy, Jammin X1CR, either the Pro Kit or the Team Kit, Team Kit has all of the hopups, the Pro kit has about 80% of the hopups. The pro kit can be found for around $480 and the Team kit for aroud $540.

Servos, Airtronics 94357 and 94358

Pipe and header, Rossi/Top 086 or the Jammin JP2

Motor, Rossi/Top T21BF, for the price you can't go worng, around $180.00, if you want all out top performance then the Rossi/Top P5, comes in several styles, $289 and up. Also might consider the new OS VZ-B V-SPEC.

Hope this helps,
Old 01-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What he said i'd go with the jammin buggy. Either 357,358 servos or go with KO 2343,2344 if you want digitals.
Motors id stay clear of v-spec for the most part its a good motor with mixed results. Id go with a Nova Rossi based engine like a P5. RB s7 or s5. I've had good luck with the picco werks p7r evo. Expect to spent 200-300 on a top of the line engine. stay with italian built no china.
The jammin JP-1 pipe is what you want they are tough and well suited for a track that size.
Get a starter box with one big 750 size motor in it need some torque to spin those race motors.
The jammin comes with a good clutch setup just keep it clean and you'll be fine. Oh yeh i like Sidewinder 30% fuel for racing i've worked on alot of engines they are always clean -not like odonell.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will be checking out a jammin.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Jammin is definitly a nice piece, I have just built the new GS Racing CL-1 and it is awesome. It is a very durable chassis and handles well.

For motors , if you are looking at a stock engine , get something reliable. If you are looking for a modd motor you need to look at a WS7 II by RB Mods. This is recommended because of your electric background like myself. It has a very linear , controllable power and not to hard to tune for a entry level race motor.Shoot me an email, I'll help in anyway.

[email protected]
Old 01-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

all of thoes sugestions are very good, but i really dont think you need a motor like a ws7 II or a p5. for a track that small all you really need is something like a os rg or a rb s3. i know b/c i race on a track that is similar in size to that and the top expert driver wins with a os rg aginst the bitter motor like the ws7II and p5's. with a track that small you wont get into the power that the more expensieve motor have to offer.
i am running a jammin x1-cr pro with the rg s3 and a jp2 pipe and its a very nice set up for a track that size.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for the Jammin pipes, with one is the more torque based ?

if you want something different, it may be worth looking into the CEN Matrix. Its been getting good reviews and has some top drivers wheeling it and is doing quite well right now. I believe a Pro kit is available.

When I was doing my research for a first nitro, this vehicle really stood out as something to try, especially since I heard reports of how durable it was.

This is not to take away from the Jammin, its an excellent vehicle as well. For me, I figured to try something different. Since CEN is now distributed through Horizon, parts availability won't be an issue either.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Old 01-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

the jp-1 is more torque based. but the jp-2 put out just as good numbers on the bottom.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

A JP2 is a good all around pipe.And for a motor a P5 would still be good for a small track because it makes most of it's power down low.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Elite

Another question if you will. Is buying used bad in nitro? Also, as far as equipment is concerned. I don't want to be beat by equipment, if I get beat I only want to get beat by a better driver. I can tell you I will need low end power, because we have alot of switchbacks with short straights (20' to 30').
Old 01-23-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well, it looks like the jammin is winning here, and i recommend the X1-CR too. i have mine coupled to some hitec servos, high speed/high torque. 1400 mah rx pack is a must. any engine will do well for you. i recommend RB, OS, and italian engine. get a jammin pipe, doesn't matter which one because they're both great. same performance as an italian pipe, but 1/2 the cost. i prefer the JP-1, i like the torque off of the line and out of the corners. the stock tires are fine, and you don't need any other option parts to make it perform. X1 all the way!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

trilerian - It looks like you are in NW Indiana? What track are you going to race at? Leisure Hours in Joliet, IL has a big outdoor track and the indoor one is not real small. I think a P5 or the new Novarossi Plus 5 would be really good there. Hardesty's is a little smaller track in Hamlet, IN and you could probably get away with an OS RG if budget is an important consideration on that track. The Novarossi 3 port is good as is the Collari 3 port. Neither have the top end of the P5 though.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i would go with the jammin buggy.
as for servos i use airtronics 94357 for throttle and the 94358 for steering.
for motor i was running the collari B3 with a THS 8015 pipe.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

windellmc, I am racing at a track that my father and I built. It is not exactly top notch, but regardless it is alot of fun. So fun in fact that this time last year I only had a rc10t4, and now have 8 rc's (trucks, buggies, cars). Anyways this summer I am going to be looking to branch out, so to speak, and actually go to some bigger tracks to see how good I really am or not. As for nitro, I will probably get a jammin as that is the most suggested. Still unsure about the engine however.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Jammin is a good choice, make sure you check your air filter , your motor needs clean air and nothing more. Dirt and sand that find its way in will ruin your motor in no time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.