Community
Wiki Posts
Search

50+ MPH offroad nitro buggy for fun....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 PM
MCF
Tech Initiate

Default 50+ MPH offroad nitro buggy for fun....

just looking for a ready to run combo set that includes everything (except maybe fuel and batteries for controller) to run up and down my street and at a little neighborhood local park......wuold like it to go 50+ mph out of the box....any ideas ~$600?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Traxxas Jato should come close to that speed out of the box.

Should set you back around $350 or so RTR
Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The Jato would likely make the 50mph wish, but that is a 2wd 1/10 stadium truck. If you want a good buggy, RTR, there's several good options available. All of these will run 40-50 easily and are within that price range.

http://www.ofna.com/teamjammin/kits-x1rtr.html

http://ofna.com/hyper7-pcr.html
There are a few different Hyper 7 RTR options available. Any of them will be fine for bashing on the street.

http://cenracing.com/frame.html

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3473

There are plenty of others available...Of these, I would highly recommend either the Cen or the Mayhem, simply because they both offer an FM radio system.If you have a nearby LHS, check with them on parts availability. This should have some influence on what you choose.Better to get what they offer, that way when something breaks, you will be able to get it fixed that day rather than waiting 5-10 days on an online order. As for online ordering, AMain is really good about quick shipping and service.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

never going to go 50 out of the box....just add a 18 tooth clutch bell to an ofna ultra comp and maybe...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 130 (100%+)

I've got a XTM X-terminator deluxe that I'm sure does 50.This thing is basically new and I'm lookin to sell (too many toys) for $260 OBO RTR.Mine came with Airtronics MX3 FM radio and receiver.It seems to be a good unit.
Let me know if you interested, if you want new I'd consider one. Pretty good for the money.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Does it have to be exactly 50+ or do you want to feel that its "fast"?

Lots of vehicles can feel "fast" even if they don't do exactly over 50 mph.

For a buggy, the ofnas will work as well as the new CEN matrix.

I would go with something that has an FM radio.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
MCF
Tech Initiate

Default The Mayhem...

looks pretty cool. How fast should it go out of box? Also, how much run time on a tank of fuel? Also, have been out of RC for a long time....do the Nitro cars actually have a 'neutral' and reverse or is it either always moving forward or backward? Lastly, is the Mayhem 2 or 4 wheel drive and which would be better for thrashing around on street and local grassy park? I assume a multi speed transmission would provide higher speeds?

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

1) Guessing here, Id say most RTR buggies will avg 35-40 top speed out of the box.
2) Avg tank time, if just bashing, probably 10 minutes, maybe longer...in racing mode, on a track...probably 7-9 minutes
3) Yes, a neutral is designed into the throttle linkage/carb set up. As for reverse...No buggies have a reverse...most MTs do. It consists of a usually very heavy gear cluster and while the Revo has an electric reverse system,most other MTs utilize a third servo. In most cases, especially for racing, they are removed. On the Tx, "backward" on the throttle = brake in most cases...a combination of brake/reverse on MTs...difficult to describe until you have one to see.
4) Mayhem as with all 1/8 buggies are 4wd. I don't understand what you're asking when you state..." which would be better for ....etc...". I am guessing you mean which (2 or 4wd) would be better??? In answer to that question...generally speaking...for RCs 4wd offers better handling abilities.
5) No, multi speed tranny will not necessarily = higher top speed. It will, however, reach it's "geared for" top speed sooner.The only ways to achieve this would be to change gearing or use a taller wheel/tire combo. In changing gearing, the easiest way would be to use a clutch bell with more teeth. Usually, buggies come stock with a 13 tooth CB. If you went with a 15 tooth CB, you would see a small difference in top speed, but this will sacrifice bottom end grunt or off the line punch. Also...the only buggies I know of ( none come stock) that offer a two speed as an option are the Ofna Hyper, MBX, and possibly the 9.5 series.In racing, a two speed on a buggy is simply impractical. The extra weight isn't worth it. While a basher might use it..it isn't worth it to a manufacturer to include one stock with a buggy.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 AM
MCF
Tech Initiate

Default Monster Truck...

well, maybe then a Monster Truck is more suited for my needs....how about a some recommendations for a Monster Truck Package (including FM transmitter, etc. - why is FM better??) that has reverse (I think is better to have reverse for just bashing around streets, etc.). Also, what would top speed out of box for a Monster Truck Package be?? Anyone know anything about the HPI Nitro Savage .25 RTR 1/8 Monster Truck? Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Traxxas Revo - Good all around with awesome racing potential
Associated MGT 4.6 SE (Thunder Tiger MTA-4 is the same exact truck)
Great bashers, excellent racing potential
Team Losi Lst2 (comes with FM radio) Same as MGT, great basher, excellent racing potential
Cen Nemesis ( comes with FM radio ) Great racer, good basher...a better basher from Cen is the Genesis
HPI...anything from the Savage line- Awesome ( perhaps the best of em all ) basher...can be respectible on the track but requires work.
Tamiya TNX- Awesome on the track...good basher.
There are others...these are the most popular, ie, most easy to obtain parts for when they break...and they will break, lol.
All the above are MTs...and are all great choices. The TNX and Revo both have what are considered small block engines. The MGT, LST2, Savage line, and the Nemesis all come with big block engines.Don't be fooled by the small blocks though. While they may not produce the brute torque a BB will, they are plenty powerful for the trucks that theyre in.
Most RTRs( any style of chassis, onroad or off, with a few exceptions) will avg 35-40, maybe a little more out of the box. Trust me, this may not seem impressive in words, but it will surprise you in person.
The simplest way to describe FM vs. AM would be to compare your home/car stereo. FM has a stronger signal and is subject to less interference.
Now, there is another line, or style of MT.These are called Truggy. Basically, they are MTs based on a buggy chassis.TRuck + bUGGY = TRUGGY. They have a center diff unlike "normal" MTs that have a front/rear diff with a center tranny and two speed/reverse system.In my opinion, they are much easier to work on when things break. They handle much better on the track as well, since they are based on buggy chassis.You will also see terms such as UMT or Unlimited Monster Truck describing them.A few of the more populr truggies are as follows...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4140
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4133
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4504
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5066
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1507

The Hot Bodies LSP comes in a few different varieties...complete RTR, or ARR with no radio but it is already built with an engine. The Jammin that I linked to is a kit only, you'd have to build this and get an engine/exhaust, radio system. They have recently released an RTR version of this but apparently, AMain does not have it in stock. Some other places might. The HPI HellFire is a brand new release...within the past 6 weeks or so.Not a lot is kown about it yet but all in all..Im sure it is of high quality.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:52 AM
MCF
Tech Initiate

Default Thanks....

from what I am reading, the Savage X that is coming out seems like a good fit...does it have a reverse?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The savage is a great bashing truck. it takes lots of punishment, with the new design it should be easier to work on.

I had a Team Losi LST1 and other than going to RPM arms, alloy diff cases, and a gear cover, it worked quite well. The LST2 probably is even better and has reverse.

One that looks very nice from the videos I have seen is the CEN Genesis LE. If I was doing a monster again, this would be one I would really consider next though this doesn't take away anything from the savage or LST.

As for the MGT, not sure about that one. I heard people love it and some don't. Its probably a good pick too.