R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Talk to me about the Kyosho MP9e TKI Ready Set

I'm eyeing an MP9e TKI Ready Set and could use some advice. There was a thread about it here a while back, but its several years old now. Curious to hear some thoughts now that it has been available for a while and if anyone's opinion has changed on it.

Some quick background:

Had a nitro-powered Associated RC10GT many years ago when I was in college. Just bashed it mostly, but left the hobby after a year or two. About a month ago a buddy of mine introduced me to a Traxxas Slash VXL he bought, and it reminded me how much I loved the RC hobby. Bought a Slash that same week and have enjoyed it for what it is. I've made some minor changes to it (LCG chassis, aluminum caster blocks, RPM shock towers), but nothing too crazy. Had never been to an actual RC track until a few weeks ago, but I'm hooked big time now. I've been every weekend since (and even a few times during the week)!

I quickly realized there's no point in throwing any more money into the Slash, so I've been eyeing a 1/8 scale buggy instead. But let me be clear here--I have no aspirations of being some super-successful RC buggy driver. I'm just looking to have some good, maybe somewhat competitive fun at my local RC track.

With that being said, how does the MP9e TKI Ready Set look as an option for me? The price seems pretty reasonable for what you're getting. I know the that all the parts are not "race grade", but I kind of like the idea of maybe upgrading things here in there proactively or as they break. This is of course assuming that parts are interchangeable with other MP9e's. If so, which one(s)?

I'm not opposed to a kit (no matter the brand), but I'd really like to be all in for around $700-800. I just don't see how I could swing that going the kit route.

So in summary:

1.) How crazy is the idea of a MP9e TKI Ready Set? Total waste of money?
2.) Are MP9e TKI Ready Set parts interchangeable with upgraded parts from other MP9e's? If so, which one(s)?
3.) How's part availability these days?
4.) Any resources out there that go into detail the differences between the Ready Set and the kit?
Stiggosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I have owned kyosho vehicles before. They are some of the nicest quality vehicles I Have owned. HOWEVER... and this is a big reason to consider not buying one...

a. Their RTR vehicles are IMHO not that great. parts that you really want to be strong and durable are areas where they take short cuts to cut costs. such as in the rtr buggy you are looking at, it uses stamped towers. A lot of RTR vehicles use towers like this, but upgrading to the "hard" towers is like 60 bucks a pop.

b. parts are expensive versus other brands, and from what i have read the mp9 series in particular aren't amazingly durable, so expect to buy more parts on average compared to other brands.

all parts are interchangeable with the kit version, however there are several different version of the kit, tki, tki2,3 etc, so even if parts are compatible they aren't always the same.

What I would do is look for a used (read cheaper way to get a dope kit for a fraction of the cost) Kit version buggy, likely rtr with full electronics minus radio and a few batteries for 450-650. You will need a couple packs and a good radio, but those can be piked up for well under 200 these days. If i was trying to get into 1/8 I would consider tekno, Xray, losi, and a few others, putting a premium on kits that the track or store had parts for.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have to agree with Panda. The readyset is a decent little piece of kit out of the box for some quick fun. But you'll find yourself upgrading the heck out of it to bring it closer to the team kit. And at that point you might as well have bought the kit and built it yourself.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Tech Master

The ready set is not the car to start with . Wrong chassis, shocks , diffs , towers and other little bits.

I bought a used mp9e tki for $250.
about $15 bucks got me all new plastics on ebay.
20$ to convert to tki4 arms , which is a must , this is the durability fix.
$10 in bearings.
$20 for the rear suspension block.
So basically a fresh mp9e kit for under $320.00

savox servo $70
hobbywing sct pro esc $100
smc motor $70.00

another $240.00

I'm in the car racing for less than $575 rtr and its absolutely the best car I have owned to date.

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've driven Kyosho nitro cars since 2001 until I switched to all electric, I whole heartedly agree with the others. Kyosho and mugen (to me) mak some of the best out of the box kits out there, but for rtr cars, Kyosho leaves much to be desired. They just don't put the same quality into them as they do the kits. Parts are weaker, they need upgrades out of the box, just not really a great deal. Buy a used kit car here and be rolling for much less than the rtr with a much higher quality piece of gear.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 139 (99%+)

I have ran Kyosho cars, I would stay away from the Ready Set. Like other stated, get a good condition used roller, $250-300.00 then get a new tekin combo 289.00 and pick up a used radio, most of the time the used buddy will come with extra parts. If not shop Ebay pick a part rc dealers and get new parts cheap.
highvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. That's pretty much what I suspected, but figured it wouldn't hurt to check. Lots of good ideas here though, so thanks!

None of the hobby shops nearby are all that close (most are at least 40-45 minutes away), so I'll probably get most of my parts online. That being said, one of the hobby shops has a Tekno EB48.3 kit marked down to like $429 or $479 (I'll have to double check). I think that's one version behind from current, but is that decent deal?

I'll start poking around for some rollers in decent shape in the meantime and see what I can come up with. Where are you guys buying used from? eBay? Craigslist? Somewhere else?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I buy used from on here. lots of good buggies.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggosaurus View Post
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the input. That's pretty much what I suspected, but figured it wouldn't hurt to check. Lots of good ideas here though, so thanks!

None of the hobby shops nearby are all that close (most are at least 40-45 minutes away), so I'll probably get most of my parts online. That being said, one of the hobby shops has a Tekno EB48.3 kit marked down to like $429 or $479 (I'll have to double check). I think that's one version behind from current, but is that decent deal?

I'll start poking around for some rollers in decent shape in the meantime and see what I can come up with. Where are you guys buying used from? eBay? Craigslist? Somewhere else?
My best deals have always come from racers at the local track. The fast guys are always wanting to upgrade and usually have nice extras to go with what they are getting rid of. Latest deal was a tool box full of spare nitro bits. Guy said he is getting out of nitro , I could take the whole box for $60 without looking through it all. Ended up having two os pipes in it , 2 reds Quattro clutches new , 2 buku clutches , and a lifetime supply of bearings and fuel line ... hit the track , poke around , be nosey , ask questions , offer to share your beer , it goes a long way...

Don't forget ... Have fun , talk sh*$ with your buddies, and have fun.

I race so I can have people flip my car over ....
wittyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:

Start looking on these forums in the For Sale section . I've received many fantastic deals on rollers over the years with this site and *knock on wood* I've never had an issue with a seller.

As for the deal on the eb48.3, I would pass on it personally. The new eb48.4 is so much easier to drive that the extra money spent on it is most definitely worth it. However, if you find a used eb48.3 at a rock bottom price, that's not a bad kit to have either.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have to chime in here.....20 plus years here in the hobby..
After buying the XXL VE now have 2 of them...
It is the exception to the RTR kyosho thing.
Its a solid car pretty much stock just needs a bit of pre run stuff.
If you are looking to an RTR buggy ARRMA makes solid stuff that will take a huge beating if also it is prepped correctly.
just my 2 cents
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

If I'm going the kit route, I just keep going back to the MP9e TKI4. That is such an incredible-looking piece of kit. Considering just splurging and picking one up and building it up over the next month or two as I'm able. I've done a cursory glance of part prices on eBay and they don't seem too crazy to me. Am I crazy for considering this as my first kit? Cheapest I've found is $649 with a Tower coupon. Anywhere else I'm missing?

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I had been eyeing an Arrma Typhon. Just saw it mentioned in another thread that a Typhon is basically just a RTR version of the Team Durango DEX8. I've heard nothing but very positive things about Arrma (at least from bashers mostly). Would this be even remotely competitive among other 1/8 e-buggies? I know there is a strong 1/8 scale e-buggies at my local track, but I haven't made it out to one myself, so I'm not sure what most are running. Maybe this might be a better way to dip my feet into the 1/8 e-buggy world?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
I have to chime in here.....20 plus years here in the hobby..
After buying the XXL VE now have 2 of them...
It is the exception to the RTR kyosho thing.
Its a solid car pretty much stock just needs a bit of pre run stuff.
If you are looking to an RTR buggy ARRMA makes solid stuff that will take a huge beating if also it is prepped correctly.
just my 2 cents
Totally missed your Arrma comment when I read this initially. See my post above...is the Arrma really remotely viable for some casual competition?
Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
If I'm going the kit route, I just keep going back to the MP9e TKI4. That is such an incredible-looking piece of kit. Considering just splurging and picking one up and building it up over the next month or two as I'm able. I've done a cursory glance of part prices on eBay and they don't seem too crazy to me. Am I crazy for considering this as my first kit? Cheapest I've found is $649 with a Tower coupon. Anywhere else I'm missing?

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I had been eyeing an Arrma Typhon. Just saw it mentioned in another thread that a Typhon is basically just a RTR version of the Team Durango DEX8. I've heard nothing but very positive things about Arrma (at least from bashers mostly). Would this be even remotely competitive among other 1/8 e-buggies? I know there is a strong 1/8 scale e-buggies at my local track, but I haven't made it out to one myself, so I'm not sure what most are running. Maybe this might be a better way to dip my feet into the 1/8 e-buggy world?
The Typhon is a great basher and it can be made to be relatively quick. But you'll be putting money into upgrades in order to get it there. Which is money you could put into electronics for a proper kit like the Kyosho.

Nothing wrong with getting a top notch kit for your first build. In fact it might be for the best. You'll learn the ins and outs of how the buggy goes together and you get all the fun factory upgrades that you'd need to spend extra for on an RTR buggy
JoeW likes this.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can pick up a new Tekno EB48.4 from Fiercerc for $470 to your door so I wouldn't go for the $425 deal at your local shop on the older 48.3.
JoeW is offline   Reply With Quote