Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

what is the best 1/8 buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default what is the best 1/8 buggy

I am looking to start club racing.. I am looking for an E 1/8 buggy.. What to you thing is the best E- buggy out for the money?? I have been out of RC for 6 yrs or so.. I am thinking a Mugen MBX7r??? But I do not know anything ESC and Motor??????
Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Mbx7's are great buggies and built like tanks but replacement parts are a bit high. Luckily they're tough enough you really won't buy many. Associated is coming out with a new one in a month that should be good, agama a215's are good. Well in reality all are great buggies, I don't know of any that are just crap. What's supported locally will be the best buggy for you.

As far as motors and esc's, tough to beat a hobbywing xerun xr8 sct and a matching 1900 kv motor. Reasonably priced and from what I've seen stupid strong. I use the esc myself with a tekin motor but a lot of guys at the track are using the HW motors with great success.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Tekin/smc/hw seem to be the most popular. I got a tekin esc and smc motor and both have been flawless.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info!! how about radio??? I am thinking 4pk?? or m12
Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Either will be perfectly fine. I've used the high end radios from airtronics, futaba, and hitec dating back to the lynx 3d and the m8. Never really found fault with any of them. Pick the one you like best.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

tekno eb48 or mugen mbx7r eco ? that's one good old discussion !

I like the mugen because there is space on the chassis and it is easy to repair/maintain

i don't race but I do all my stunts with the same mugen till the beginning
Old 04-18-2017, 05:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I've been running an XRay XB8E 2015 for the past couple of years and it has served me well, I think I've had maybe 3-4 breaks over that time and the car is still competitive for being an older design. Mugen and Associated aren't known to be quite as durable as XRay or Tekno. This past winter I picked up an RC8T3 and have gone through well over $100 in replacement parts already... I wished I had gone Tekno instead for a truggy. There are some Mugen compatible parts which help a little, but even Mugen plastic isn't durable enough for my liking either

In contrast, I've got a Tekno SCT410.1 that I continue to race for the past 4+ years and it's only broken once in all that time... when it's time to retire my XB8E, I'm more than likely going to replace it with an EB48

I've also had my eyes on the Soar 998 too, that looks like a promising design with some Hot Bodies in it's blood line.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Buy a Mp9e tki4 , battery , and hobby wing system . Drop on track and race . Enjoy and repeat .

Reliable , consistent, and fast . Every season when your buddies are figuring out how they are going to buy the latest and greatest new car , relax and enjoy knowing they cant buy anything as nice as what you already have, unless they get one themselves .

All cars break , even the mighty Tekno. Both my mugens and Kyoshos have been more durable , and cost less to own than the Teknos I had. The tekno is cool because it responds to every little change you make. That's also a major drawback if you don't wheel every weekend and your track changes a lot during the day .

The Mugen and X Ray are a close second ,The mugen having better support imo . The Drake and Maifield days are going to make the next Mugen one of the best cars ever I have a feeling.

When I owned X Rays , the forums were always full of people trying to get parts from other manufacturers to work so they could get a decent set up on the car. The parts are pricey , but you sure wont need many ... Truth is , you could beat most other cars into a pile of trash using a x ray as a hammer. They really are the most durable cars on the earth I have ever seen . You think a Tekno is tuff , buy a X ray !

But again , if all we are going to do is race , I'm sticking with Kysoho . You cant replicate it for $629 shipped without using Chinese parts and labor, and if you have to do that your car should cost a lot less... Which they don't
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I have to be honest, asking what 1/8 buggy is the best is like asking which spoonful of sugar is sweeter.
fredygump likes this.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

no one has suggested them yet so I'm going to say get a Losi or a HB, they are far and away the best cars I've never driven,
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you're thinking of a Mugen, Get it. Its a great car. As far as electronics, Hobbywing XR8 plus and xerun 1900Kv motor. For the price is the best combo you can get. Radio, is between sanwa and futaba. I rock the 4px and its been an awesome radio since may 2015 when I bought it.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris@savannah
Thanks for the info!! how about radio??? I am thinking 4pk?? or m12

If you can find a used 4pk/s(-r?) go for it. I picked up a 4PKS used for $350, and it included 3 R614ff receivers ($99 each), 2 LiFe batteries, and the budget Jconcepts case.

It's a nice radio. Ergonomics are good. It is very adjustable. I don't care that it isn't a 4px and doesn't have telemetry...because I don't want to buy the extra sensors and modules necessary to make it work.

Yeah, and buy the Mugen! I just got one of those as well. To me, the most obvious difference is the stiffness/strength of the plastics--it is stiffer because they have fiberglass mixed in with the nylon. No more deformed A-arms for me! I think that is the main reason why their stuff is a bit more expensive than some others...because the material the parts are made out of is more expensive.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I've been running an XRay XB8E 2015 for the past couple of years and it has served me well, I think I've had maybe 3-4 breaks over that time and the car is still competitive for being an older design. Mugen and Associated aren't known to be quite as durable as XRay or Tekno. This past winter I picked up an RC8T3 and have gone through well over $100 in replacement parts already... I wished I had gone Tekno instead for a truggy. There are some Mugen compatible parts which help a little, but even Mugen plastic isn't durable enough for my liking either

In contrast, I've got a Tekno SCT410.1 that I continue to race for the past 4+ years and it's only broken once in all that time... when it's time to retire my XB8E, I'm more than likely going to replace it with an EB48

I've also had my eyes on the Soar 998 too, that looks like a promising design with some Hot Bodies in it's blood line.

Based on what I've heard people say about the durability of Xray products, I'm suspicious that Xray use a carbon fiber filled nylon for their parts? I know material like that is extremely strong. There's a guy who said he put Xray arms on his Mugen for durability reasons....

It is obvious to me that my Mugen has fiberglass in most of the plastics, and the only clear improvement over fiberglass is to go carbon fiber. (A composite of nylon and carbon fiber can have the strength of aluminum, with the toughness of nylon. Almost makes me think I should try buying an Xray... )
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump
Based on what I've heard people say about the durability of Xray products, I'm suspicious that Xray use a carbon fiber filled nylon for their parts? I know material like that is extremely strong. There's a guy who said he put Xray arms on his Mugen for durability reasons....

It is obvious to me that my Mugen has fiberglass in most of the plastics, and the only clear improvement over fiberglass is to go carbon fiber. (A composite of nylon and carbon fiber can have the strength of aluminum, with the toughness of nylon. Almost makes me think I should try buying an Xray... )
Until you start replacing Outdrives..

It depends on what your local shop supplies for parts. Who runs what at your track..
Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by slodsm

As far as motors and esc's, tough to beat a hobbywing xerun xr8 sct and a matching 1900 kv motor. Reasonably priced and from what I've seen stupid strong. I use the esc myself with a tekin motor but a lot of guys at the track are using the HW motors with great success.
I am going to be placing an order for this ESC and motor very soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.