Search
Like Tree5Likes

Been out of it for a long time and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Been out of it for a long time and have some questions

A couple of years ago I was really into the hobby and going to the local tracks. Bought an RC8.2e RTR as my first car and was liking it but SCT's were all the rage so I wanted to get into that. Long story short I pretty much quit the hobby before I put anything together as my wife and I were expecting a child. Well it's a couple years later now and my nephews have started getting into RC cars and I was hoping to go out with them and do some bashing. I found the box with the stuff I bought for an SCTE I wanted to put together but not sure if this stuff would be basher approved. Honestly I have pretty much forgotten all the stuff I learned about rc's in general.

Anywho after opening the box this is what I have for the SCTE. I remember I had purchased the TEN-SCTE nitro version and then took it apart and sold all the nitro parts like the engine, etc.

This is what I found:

TEN SCTE parts
MIP Pro4 kit in the bag
2 bags of TLR differentials
Hobbywing SCT-Pro ESC
Tenshock SC411 motor 4000kv
Savox SB-2271SG
Associated diff oil
Associated shock oil 45wt
Wheels with tires

I don't know where the body is so probably going to have to buy one. Do they still make them for the original SCTE?

What other stuff do I need to make it basher worthy? Do I need a different motor? I know I am going to have to get tbone racing bumpers but can't think of anything else.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

all that looks like an excellent way to start up. Yes, many sct bodies are cross compatible, and you should have no trouble finding one.

here are some proline bodies
https://www.prolineracing.com/losi-t...10-4wd-bodies/

and you will need some batteries, i recommend SMC batteries.
noproblems209 likes this.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ThePanda
all that looks like an excellent way to start up. Yes, many sct bodies are cross compatible, and you should have no trouble finding one.

here are some proline bodies
https://www.prolineracing.com/losi-t...10-4wd-bodies/

and you will need some batteries, i recommend SMC batteries.
Awesome thanks. I found another box with Turnigy nano-tech batteries. They are 5800mah 2S. Not sure if they are still going to be good though. I think before I boxed everything up I ran them through the charger in storage mode but not sure.

What about the motor? I have read some other threads saying that lower kv motors in the 3000kv range are better for bashing as the runtime will be longer?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With that MIP kit, have you considered racing it? Probably still give current models a good run
Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
With that MIP kit, have you considered racing it? Probably still give current models a good run
Well I originally bought it so I could take it to the local track for racing but not sure if I want to do that anymore. Not even sure if the stuff I have is even considered decent anymore for racing as I see that the SCTE is up to v3. If stuff breaks can you use v3 parts on the original?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gus6464
Well I originally bought it so I could take it to the local track for racing but not sure if I want to do that anymore. Not even sure if the stuff I have is even considered decent anymore for racing as I see that the SCTE is up to v3. If stuff breaks can you use v3 parts on the original?
The MIP uses the same basic layout as the 2.0, but sheds 8 ounces. Hopefully Frank or Casper will chime in on parts interchangeability. Probably limited since the chassis is new.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

For what it's worth I've got an SCTE 1.0 with tekno driveline, HD diffs and TLR shocks and it still handles great. It's worth it to at least put it all together since you've got everything you need.

I just recommend front end parts as spares.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Awesome thanks. I found another box with Turnigy nano-tech batteries. They are 5800mah 2S. Not sure if they are still going to be good though. I think before I boxed everything up I ran them through the charger in storage mode but not sure.

My story is somewhat similar to yours, I have been out of the hobby for almost 5 years. I have 5 Turnigy nano tech 5-6000mah batteries that sat the whole time and work the same as they did when I was racing a couple of days a week. They died pretty quick the first time I used them but were fine after being charged for a 2nd run.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

I swear it's near impossible to stay completely up to date in this hobby
ZEe_NYC likes this.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barker196
I swear it's near impossible to stay completely up to date in this hobby
I'd say some of it is "planned obsolescence", but everyone is trying to get the last 1/10 second off their lap times too
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Well I was looking at more boxes and weirdly enough I found a Team Durango DESC210R kit that hasn't even been opened. In the box there was an extra chassis for it and other stuff. I had completely forgotten about this one so you can guess how long it's been since I did anything RC. Found a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor but no ESC. Pretty sure that is more a track car though.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 AM
Tech Addict

Well I was looking at more boxes and weirdly enough I found a Team Durango DESC210R kit that hasn't even been opened. In the box there was an extra chassis for it and other stuff. I had completely forgotten about this one so you can guess how long it's been since I did anything RC. Found a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5T motor but no ESC. Pretty sure that is more a track car though.
Yes, that TD truck was a thoroughbred. Unfortunately parts support has gone to hell. I'd probably keep it as a museum piece if it were me since it's NIB
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The MIP kit was all chassis stuff. The front and rear clips are by all in large the same still. The 3.0 changed the caster blocks and spindles to the new 15 deg versions. New front arms for better clearance. Some other small stuff. This truck is great for bashing or racing. It is tough as nails which is why losi has been using this platform for a ton of versions the truck is solid and durable. For racing they have innovated small changes to make a great track truck even better. Build it out and have some fun.
bubbaslash and aspiringracer like this.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Two years? Pshhh. When I got out of the hobby, brushed and Ni-cads were still top of the line. 20 years later I had NO idea what I was doing.
MontanaMaxx likes this.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
I race a tc4 in the stock touring class at my local carpet track, and on my first time in the class I was 4th from last. That means I beat 3 regulars. After just graduating out of the navis class. With a car they laughed at. Showed them lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.