Wiki Posts
Search

Source for Mooring Rope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Source for Mooring Rope?

Hey, I've been hearing about old mooring rope being used for RC tracks, but I don't know the first thing about finding any. Does anybody out there have experience tracking the stuff down?

I'm not having any luck finding anything on the google or even Craigslist about used rope, free or otherwise.

I know it should be around. I'm not very far from the Mississippi, where barges certainly use rope. Or I'd be happy to drive to Duluth, if I could return with a trailer full of rope.

I'd even pay something for it! I'd rather use rope than the plastic pipe most people end up using, if it's near the same price or cheaper. Of course, free would be great...

Any experience? Do you have to have a buddy who works on the docks? Or how have you found the stuff?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Call Fraiser Shipyard in Duluth. They are a repair yard and many of the lake freighters go their for winter layup and repair. Chances are if they change out rope they would leave the old stuff there.

Also they shipyard itself might have some of their old stuff they use.

Bay Shipbuilding in Sturgeon Bay would be another good resource as they are a big repair yard as well. But that's a long drive from Minnesota.