Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing my Piston and Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Changing my Piston and Sleeve

I just bought a new piston and sleeve, so it's time to take the old one out and the new one in... But one BIG problem, I don't know how.

Is there a good step by step article showing me how to do this? Or can anyone describe in very good detail on how to do this?

Pictures say 1000 words.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

To put it simple.

Unscrew the head and unscrew the backplate to have access to the conrod. Take out the sleeve by simply pulling on the lip with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. The sleeve will slide out very easily. Now, go back to the backplate and pull on the conrod so that it slides off from the cam. The conrod/piston will then be dangling around inside the crankcase and you will then be able to take it out.

I'll let HPI cover installing the new piston/sleeve:

http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm
Old 01-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the link!

But, I can't seem to get the connecting rod off the old piston. There was a little spring like thing on one of the sides, I took that out.

How do you get the connecting rod off the piston? I see the little bar the connecting rod is connected to, but can't get it off.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fewski
Thanks for the link!

But, I can't seem to get the connecting rod off the old piston. There was a little spring like thing on one of the sides, I took that out.

How do you get the connecting rod off the piston? I see the little bar the connecting rod is connected to, but can't get it off.

Thanks
You might have to force the wrist pin out. That's the little bar you're talking about. Be careful not to damage anything.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply. Should I put the old piston in a vice and take an ice pick and a hammer and litely tap it?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! The easiest way to change your piston and sleeve, is to use take the head, and back plate off. Remember to place your head shims somewhere where you can find them when puttting the head back on....Insert a thick zip tie into the exhust port and turn the crank, leave the fly wheel on makes it way to turn..dont forget to take the con. rod of the crank. Once you turn the flywheel, the sleeve will push to the top. I wouldnt use pliers or any tools to remove it or reinstall the new one. It should go back in very easy, just make sure you put it back in the same way the old one came out.