R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Like Tree297Likes

Old 03-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #61
Tech Initiate

Looks nice shame I just bought a 22 3.0
daz_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBurns View Post
This is NOT a 3.0 -> 4.0 conversion. I just want to get the new laydown into my 3.0LD (newer dirt laydown). I race it on carpet, so I was hoping to take advantage the setup options for carpet

Another thought I had..... Can I buy the 4.0 and build it onto my Dirt laydown chassis? minus the newer mud guards? I just finally got bodies painted for my 3.0 and don't want to have to get new ones done lol
I haven't seen it confirmed that the dirt lay down tranny uses the same holes as the new molded tranny.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #63
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
I haven't seen it confirmed that the dirt lay down tranny uses the same holes as the new molded tranny.
To the chassis maybe, to the waterfall brace no. The 4.0 waterfall brace is much lower than the dirt trans.
sksdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksdean View Post
To the chassis maybe, to the waterfall brace no. The 4.0 waterfall brace is much lower than the dirt trans.
One track mind. The stand up setup I can see your point I would think so to.
sksdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Some questions for Frank if you don't mind answering them ?!

1) which springs will be in the kit ?
2) how the diff height adjustment will work (I assume inserts similar to the 8ight rear diff that can be flipped?)
3) will the original 3.0 body still fit the 4.0
4) will 4 gear stand up box still fit this layout?
5) is the rear shock tower on the laydown a different geometry to the standup?

As a Uk based racer I was disappointed when the SR was announced as I though the rest of the world had been forgotten. Glad to see TLR have rewarded our patience with a "all-in1" kit.
Sanwa

Last edited by losi8lunie; 03-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.
losi8lunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Losi 4.0. Looks awesome ! For carpet and turf !

I run on high grip carpet indoors. Or AstroTurf outside. I have 2 Losi 22 3.0. With carpet lay down. I am by my choosing a Losi loyalist. And the 3.0 on carpet have been ok for my skill level fun easy to drive durable. But always a step below other cars on carpet like b6 and yokomo and X-ray. I have already told local hobby store to get me two of these 4.0. Cause they finally came out with something that's should be highly competitive on the surface that I run on Can't wait for April !!

Last edited by tlr224; 03-04-2017 at 02:02 PM.
tlr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #67
Tech Master

My SR is should be here Tuesday lol . Maybe I'll send it back and forget about switching . I only wanted it for stock . Is anything compatible with the 4.0 ?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #68
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi8lunie View Post

2) how the diff height adjustment will work (I assume inserts similar to the 8ight rear diff that can be flipped?)

As a Uk based racer I was disappointed when the SR was announced as I though the rest of the world had been forgotten. Glad to see TLR have rewarded our patience with a "all-in1" kit.
1. LF springs, silver front and white rear.
2. They are eccentric inserts for the diff and two different inserts for the idler shaft.
3. It will not.
4. Yes, it sure will.
5. Shock tower geometry is the same.

We've always working towards making it dialed for as many as possible.
Team Losi Racing (TLR) - Team Orion - Spektrum - JConcepts - Horizon Hobby - Stick It 1 - Sticky Kicks - Bradley's Fine Line Designs - liverc.com - OCRC Raceway - Tuning Haus - Pacific Coast Hobbies - RIP
Frank Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag5508 View Post
My SR is should be here Tuesday lol . Maybe I'll send it back and forget about switching . I only wanted it for stock . Is anything compatible with the 4.0 ?
After further review and also having jumped on the 3.0 SR,
I realize that if I had a 4.0, I would most likely set it up just like my 3.0 anyway and still be wishing that I had the lightweight parts as well since I run in the stock class.

So for me, on medium bite clay and stock racing, the 3.0 SR is perfect.
3 gear stand up, shocks mounted rearward, slipper eliminator and all the lightweight stuff.
Good luck getting one if you want one now.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #70
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
I realize that if I had a 4.0, I would most likely set it up just like my 3.0 anyway and still be wishing that I had the lightweight parts as well since I run in the stock class.

3 gear stand up, shocks mounted rearward, slipper eliminator and all the lightweight stuff.
I feel the same way about my SR so not as excited about the 4.0 as my SCT/T 3.0s. Buggy still has so much more to offer than my slowly improving skills can take advantage of. Will eventually want a 4.0 just because but don't feel the urgency. Of course, that can change quickly when the track owner posts they're getting kits in this week and a couple aren't spoken for.
rayzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post

I'll most likely keep it just because all the light weight stuff . I got to for 17.5 in the first place . Who knows maybe a 4.0 later if I want to run mod too .
Old 03-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzcar View Post
I feel the same way about my SR so not as excited about the 4.0 as my SCT/T 3.0s. Buggy still has so much more to offer than my slowly improving skills can take advantage of. Will eventually want a 4.0 just because but don't feel the urgency. Of course, that can change quickly when the track owner posts they're getting kits in this week and a couple aren't spoken for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag5508 View Post
I'll most likely keep it just because all the light weight stuff . I got to for 17.5 in the first place . Who knows maybe a 4.0 later if I want to run mod too .
Or if you need one for carpet, turf or super hi bite you'll be hooked up with the laydown options.
For me where I'm at, already super dialed on medium bite surface
Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 4wd Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi8lunie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Root View Post
1. LF springs, silver front and white rear.
2. They are eccentric inserts for the diff and two different inserts for the idler shaft.
3. It will not.
4. Yes, it sure will.
5. Shock tower geometry is the same.

We've always working towards making it dialed for as many as possible.
Wanted to expand on question 3.)

con't 3.) When the new 22 4.0 2wd buggy is built in either standard 3-gear stand-up (or 4-gear stand-up) configuration with the shocks behind the tower (normal location as seen on the 3.0 of course), the original 22 3.0 body would able to be carried over & used on the 4.0 with no issues. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(However if the 3-gear laydown option is chosen, with the rear shocks in front of the rear tower (new optional rear shock location), then the new 4.0 body must be used in this case obviously.) Correct?

Far as using the 3-gear laydown, with the rear shocks behind the tower (same normal usual location as the 3.0) what is the case? The 3.0 body would work in this case as well? Would that be correct as well?

New Question 6.) The 3.0 built as is (with the new optional bell crank steering at the time) with the stock front spindle used only specifically for that bell crank system has 4mm trail built in the front as standard, even though it's marked as SC2, or what is the case here again? (4mm trail is stock & standard for the 3.0 correct or?)

Note: If all this is correct. Maybe we could get it added to the WiKi as well? Good useful info for anyone wanting to know in the future to compare the differences between the 3.0 and the new 4.0 car far as trying out new adjustments

Last edited by 4wd Racer; 03-05-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added Question #6.)
4wd Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #74
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
Wanted to expand on question 3.)

con't 3.) When the new 22 4.0 2wd buggy is built in either standard 3-gear stand-up (or 4-gear stand-up) configuration with the shocks behind the tower (normal location as seen on the 3.0 of course), the original 22 3.0 body would able to be carried over & used on the 4.0 with no issues. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(However if the 3-gear laydown option is chosen, with the rear shocks in front of the rear tower (new optional rear shock location), then the new 4.0 body must be used in this case obviously.) Correct?

Far as using the 3-gear laydown, with the rear shocks behind the tower (same normal usual location as the 3.0) what is the case? The 3.0 body would work in this case as well? Would that be correct as well?

New Question 6.) The 3.0 built as is (with the new optional bell crank steering at the time) with the stock front spindle used only specifically for that bell crank system has 4mm trail built in the front as standard, even though it's marked as SC2, or what is the case here again? (4mm trail is stock & standard for the 3.0 correct or?)

Note: If all this is correct. Maybe we could get it added to the WiKi as well? Good useful info for anyone wanting to know in the future to compare the differences between the 3.0 and the new 4.0 car far as trying out new adjustments
The 3.0 body will not fit the 4.0 chassis no matter which rear shock/transmission configuration you run. The 4.0 chassis is wider behind the servo area.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #75
Tech Elite

At first i didnt like the 4.0 body but now its growing on me. Wonder if it would work on the SR chassis. Im running the Yokomo body now and there is a little gap up front. Looks to be close to the new chassis