R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing
Default First race at the new track!

Well, I recently took my XXX-T MFE to a track about an hour and a half away, and entered an event. Of course, the new track had me all messed up. The guys I bought my tires from sold me tires for the outdoor track, not the indoor one so I had to borrow some just to stay competative.

I lost miserably on the first day. I went back 2 more times during the week for practice, and when I went yesterday for racing I didn't do so bad. I missed one qualifier due to a faulty brush spring, but I managed to start 4th in the Mod Truck B-Main. by the second lap I managed to get myself into first (And into position for the bottom of the A-Mains ) but lost when my brush acted up again.

What should I do to prepare for next Sunday? It's hard to get up there all the time because of the distance I have to go, but whenever I do get up there I need to buy more ball studs because they always break! I broke off 6 of them... Lunsford and Losi! The new MIP ones are holding up great, but I know that eventually they will give way and I will have to buy new ones. Any ideas on how to keep them from breaking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am mainly looking for any tips and tricks from resident Losi guys. I used to race the XXX-NT, but stopped when the track closed. Anyone out there want to lend me some advice? thanks in advance guys!
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

No one has any advice for me????
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Well when your braking the ballstud does it stay in the cup?? if sa and your using the grey cups, try going to the white cups, so hopefully instead of the stud breaking the cup will just pop off.

I think if your looking for pointers you have to be more exact in your question.

For me once i get the truck the way I want it, I really try to focus on a good line, and use a lap counter when practicing, to actually see what is working.
D Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Stevietd14 Send a message via Yahoo to Stevietd14

The only advice I can give for getting ready for a race day is to get EVERYTHING ready.Make sure to have at least 1 battery charged and maybe more depending on how many chargers you have and the charge time expected for each pack(deadshorted,or dishcharged packs will of course take a good amount more time to charge then others).For your truck make sure everything is 100% working.Check things like CVD set screws,motor mounting screws,pinion screws or other things that are commonly fogot about that could go wrong in the race.Also the overall truck should be functioning fully as in all moving parts are moving etc.Otherwise just make sure you get that motor cut and new brushes broken in.Set your ESC correctly, and get your base setup as close as you think before you hit the track so that the only adjustments you have to make will be small things.Otherwise, have a good race . Mod truck is a super fun class.
Stevietd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Tech Prophet
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you are hanging up brushes make sure your brush hood is not bent and your motor is clean. If it has been a while you should try and get the motor cut and brushes replaced. For mod motors this is an important thing to do ever 5-10 runs at a minimum. If you do not want to replace brushes a lot run the trinity XXX brush. They are good for mulitple cuts. For the ball stud thing. I know this is not going to sound right but stop crashing. Mod truck is a tough class and the truck is probably going quite fast. If you do not have control of the car and are hitting lots of thing and or jumping and handing hard on the side of the car, then things will break. One thing you can try is going to captured ball ends. Dubro makes some monster camber rod ends and you can use black oxide steel screws to hold them in place. (do not use SS screws in high stress areas) The screw should be stronger then the ball stud. If you are crashing a lot maybe you should get a stock motor for racing. Learn how to drive the car under race conditions on the track and learn how to jump and once you feel you can get through a stock race without crashing then try mod again. In the mean time play around your house with the mod motor. Going fast without crashing with a mod motor can be tough if you are new to racing. Lastly ask questions at the track. Most people I know in the hobby are willing to help if you ask. Learn what you can and try and have fun!
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | Venom | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote